Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why is it the Cotton Bowl 'Classic' and why isn't it played in the Cotton Bowl?
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Why is it the Cotton Bowl 'Classic' and why isn't it played in the Cotton Bowl?
I don't understand tacking 'classic' on the end of it. Isn't Cotton Bowl sufficient? And why is it played in AT&T Stadium* instead of the Cotton Bowl which is still in good shape?

*Side note: As a Yankee fan I'm grateful that the Steinbrenner's didn't sellout and have a sponsor for the new Yankee Stadium.
01-01-2015 12:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
RE: Why is it the Cotton Bowl 'Classic' and why isn't it played in the Cotton Bowl?
Because Jerry Jones...
01-01-2015 12:54 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
RE: Why is it the Cotton Bowl 'Classic' and why isn't it played in the Cotton Bowl?
(01-01-2015 12:50 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  I don't understand tacking 'classic' on the end of it. Isn't Cotton Bowl sufficient? And why is it played in AT&T Stadium* instead of the Cotton Bowl which is still in good shape?

*Side note: As a Yankee fan I'm grateful that the Steinbrenner's didn't sellout and have a sponsor for the new Yankee Stadium.

Probably for the same reason why the Orange Bowl moved out of the Orange Bowl and into Sun Life Stadium about 20 years ago...the Cotton Bowl is over 80'years old and you have no better stadium then Jerry World in Arlington.
01-01-2015 12:55 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Jerry World is a shiny new toy and the Cotton Bowl stadium is not. But probably there was no money to upgrade the Cotton Bowl stadium enough to make it attractive for big games.

Even more so in Miami. The Dolphins and Canes now play in a drab suburban area far from downtown Miami -- it's too bad they didn't build a new football stadium on the site of the old Orange Bowl instead of a baseball park for a poorly-run MLB team with few diehard fans.
01-01-2015 01:25 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
I believe the Cotton Bowl is the 4th oldest bowl. Its been around a long time. The classic designation is just a marketing effort to emphasize its history, tradition, etc. and separate it from the "newer" bowls like the Peach and Fiesta.

Its held at Jerry World because that is probably the nicest and most profitable stadium in the U.S., and isn't this all about money? The actual Cotton Bowl stadium is ancient.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 01:42 PM by UConn-SMU.)
01-01-2015 01:39 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Cotton Bowl has always been a classic, ask the old SWC schools who founded it.

As for why Cowboys Stadium, when the BCS formed the Cotton was left out. Talk was the reasons were because weather was unreliable (Dallas can be anything from pleasant to bitterly cold and windy on New Year's Day) and the stadium lacked the suites to entertain the corporate sponsors in the manner they demand.
01-01-2015 01:40 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
Maize - Unless you're a punter
01-01-2015 01:46 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(01-01-2015 01:40 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Cotton Bowl has always been a classic, ask the old SWC schools who founded it.

As for why Cowboys Stadium, when the BCS formed the Cotton was left out. Talk was the reasons were because weather was unreliable (Dallas can be anything from pleasant to bitterly cold and windy on New Year's Day) and the stadium lacked the suites to entertain the corporate sponsors in the manner they demand.

Yes, when the BCS started, the Cotton Bowl was one of the top four bowls. The Fiesta Bowl was an afterthought. But the Fiesta Bowl was chosen as one of the four BCS bowls because of the weather/stadium concerns in Dallas.

Money and weather made the move to Arlington inevitable.

Note: the average high temp in Dallas on New Year's Day is in the upper 50's. But today its 33 with a light rain. Brrrr.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 02:07 PM by UConn-SMU.)
01-01-2015 02:05 PM
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Bowls. Bowls. Bowls. Bowls.
01-01-2015 05:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.