WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

scUM recruits better watch their backs
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
A number of scUM recruits are touting how they stayed true to Michigan even after they fired Hoke. But if I'm a so so high major recruit like Alex Malzone out of Brother Rice I wouldn't counting my chickens just yet. With the success that Hoke had there's no reason Harbaugh should be enamored with Hoke's current group of verbals, although many are nationally ranked, as is Malzone.

Harbaugh has no written commitment to any of Hoke's recruits. He has a name and is in a position where he can get on the phone and dial up a Top 5 nationally ranked QB and have that kid's attention.
12-30-2014 12:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
RE: scUM recruits better watch their backs
I've seen less local media speculation, puff pieces and coverage during US presidential elections (that's only a very mild exaggeration).

The Walmarters' bravado and chest-thumping that mercifully lay dormant for three years is back in full force.
12-30-2014 12:46 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Just watched Jim Harbaugh's introductory press conference... never realized how horrible the U-M media is. My goodness, some of the questions he got were just painful.
12-30-2014 12:49 PM
floridabronco Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU #1
Dantonio and Meyer had the same.
12-30-2014 12:55 PM
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

(12-30-2014 12:49 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  Just watched Jim Harbaugh's introductory press conference... never realized how horrible the U-M media is. My goodness, some of the questions he got were just painful.

Watched it myself, well, when the Det News feed wasn't so crappy that I could.

One big red flag: Broad who went from sports information to media. Horrible.

Another red flag: some of Lord Harbaugh's answers were complete nonsense. "Jim what were you thinking when you saw the struggles this program was going through?" Response: "I didn't see the struggles you're talking about." Huh?
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2014 02:06 PM by Charm City Bronco.)
12-30-2014 02:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fights for Justice

I'm glad Detroit News Toy Dept Sports Reporter Angelique Chengelis was able to get her question in since she didn't bother asking any questions of UM during the whole Gibbons/Lewan rape scandal. Because, of course, she only does the FUN things, like football, not important things, like the school covering up rapes by players.
12-30-2014 02:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

(12-30-2014 02:06 PM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  Another red flag: some of Lord Harbaugh's answers were complete nonsense. "Jim what were you thinking when you saw the struggles this program was going through?" Response: "I didn't see the struggles you're talking about." Huh?

That's nothing more then him avoiding talking bad about his predecessor. The reporter might as well have asked "the last guy was bad, how much do you think he sucked?".
12-30-2014 03:36 PM
Fights for Justice

He could have said he didn't want to talk about the past.
12-30-2014 05:25 PM
ITalian83i Offline
2nd String

(12-30-2014 12:19 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  A number of scUM recruits are touting how they stayed true to Michigan even after they fired Hoke. But if I'm a so so high major recruit like Alex Malzone out of Brother Rice I wouldn't counting my chickens just yet. With the success that Hoke had there's no reason Harbaugh should be enamored with Hoke's current group of verbals, although many are nationally ranked, as is Malzone.

Harbaugh has no written commitment to any of Hoke's recruits. He has a name and is in a position where he can get on the phone and dial up a Top 5 nationally ranked QB and have that kid's attention.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I wouldn't blame him if he let someone go, as he has to bring in guys he wants and they are going to have a very small class this year. It would however be a big deal if he let the QB and face of the class go.

Nobody is asking the question, so I will ask it. What if ole Jimmy boy fails....? Where would mighty Michigan go next? I don't think he will fail, but it is a possibility that nobody is even considering. Michigan fans are crowning him Big Ten and National champ before he even names a staff.
12-30-2014 06:10 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(12-30-2014 06:10 PM)ITalian83i Wrote:  Nobody is asking the question, so I will ask it. What if ole Jimmy boy fails....? Where would mighty Michigan go next? I don't think he will fail, but it is a possibility that nobody is even considering. Michigan fans are crowning him Big Ten and National champ before he even names a staff.

Then we'll have to worry about Fleck leaving us and his buy out.
12-30-2014 06:16 PM
WesternSkillet Offline
All American

I Root For: LU
(12-30-2014 06:10 PM)ITalian83i Wrote:  Nobody is asking the question, so I will ask it. What if ole Jimmy boy fails....? Where would mighty Michigan go next? I don't think he will fail, but it is a possibility that nobody is even considering. Michigan fans are crowning him Big Ten and National champ before he even names a staff.

I'm so glad someone else is asking this question. Remember this, Jim was using mostly California talent when he was a college head coach. He certainly will not have that kind of talent pool in his backyard now. Another point, he does not have an Andrew Luck for a QB or David Shaw coach. Shaw has been doing well at Standford and I believe he had a lot to do with Standford's success while Jim was there.
Will Harbaugh do well at UM? Chances are good IMO but there are some question marks that need answering.
12-30-2014 06:38 PM
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Harbaugh doesn't need a talent pool in his backyard. It will come to him. Same thing happened when Urban Meyer took over Ohio State. There are recruits in the 2015 and 2016 classes already lining up for visits to U of M as we speak.

And who do you think recruited and developed Andrew Luck?

Don't look now, but David Shaw isn't doing too hot these days with Harbaugh's players slowly trickling out of the program.
2011: 11-2 (8-1)
2012: 12-2 (8-1)
2013: 11-3 (7-2)
2014: 7-5 (5-4)

I don't think it's a question of "if", but "when".
12-30-2014 06:48 PM
texasbronco1 Offline
All American

Harbaugh is the perfect douchebag for a program full of the same. He's an arrogant windbag who fits in perfectly. I'd pay attention to what he says, except I have no interest in puking.
12-30-2014 07:50 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(12-30-2014 07:50 PM)texasbronco1 Wrote:  Harbaugh is the perfect douchebag for a program full of the same. He's an arrogant windbag who fits in perfectly. I'd pay attention to what he says, except I have no interest in puking.

Ha, kind of true 03-lmfao
12-30-2014 08:21 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
(12-30-2014 12:19 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  A number of scUM recruits are touting how they stayed true to Michigan even after they fired Hoke. But if I'm a so so high major recruit like Alex Malzone out of Brother Rice I wouldn't counting my chickens just yet. With the success that Hoke had there's no reason Harbaugh should be enamored with Hoke's current group of verbals, although many are nationally ranked, as is Malzone.

Totally agree. The bolded part should be job one, as the last two QBs were disasters for them. Given how he knows how to develop offensive talent, I'm betting he snags somebody highly ranked.

Delaney has to be giddy about now. If I recall, the league has to re-negotiate their TV deals soon. As much as I detest them (and their arrogance), a strong Michigan is good for the B1G.

I predict that there will be some PO'd kids that had committed and JH doesn't want them. As to Harbaugh failing, I don't see it happening but I think that it may take a few years to get it turned around, as Hoke wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire with the quality of recruits he was bringing in.

I could almost see and hear scUM fans and Wal-Mart Wolverines digging through the closet and dusting off that arrogance. The wild predictions of greatness and national titles are the evidence. As if the hype already isn't over the top, get ready for escalation - all Wolverines, all the time.

03-puke
12-30-2014 08:33 PM
texasbronco1 Offline
All American

I disagree. I do foresee failure.
LOTS of it. This is a broken athletic program.
12-30-2014 08:56 PM
Advertisement

floridabronco Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU #1
With only six (6) verbals, the fewest of all the P5 schools, I don't think anyone has to worry about watching their backs. When Harbaugh was at Stanford he ran an offense nearly identical to Hoke and Carr complete with a fullback. Unlike Texas Bronco's wishful thinking, I don't think M's "athletic program" is broken. Just check the Director's Cup Final Standings for the past ten years. I believe their basketball team just played in the National Champioship Game. Most of their "minor sports" like women's softball, swimming, wrestling, hockey and tennis are frequently ranked.
12-30-2014 09:24 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
It's not a broken athletic program, but it's a broken football program. And it broke at the worst possible time in college football history. The teams that are the powerhouses of the P5 format are like a horse getting out of the gate fast. Playing catch up will not be easy. Tons of programs with big followings, great facilities, and tons of media attention. UM and Nebraska are trying to rekindle an era that may never come back.
12-30-2014 10:36 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

I actually think Harbaugh turns it around faster than people expect. Brady Hoke could recruit. There is talent on their roster. Hoke just couldn't develop it.

Harbaugh brings the opposite. He's known to develop talent and get the absolute most out of it. He is coming in with a good group of young players, that if he strikes a chord with them and gets the right coaching staff in place, it could happen quick.
12-31-2014 08:37 AM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

Always that advantage they usually play 7-8 games at home. But they still need to get back to being able to win against top 10 level teams.

In the past they always had that mystique and could suck in a couple elite level players in each class. Now their winners and best thing exists only in the minds of their minions. Can't prove it on the field for 15 years now. That's forever in the modern era. Will be a real effort to get back near the top, even with all the $$$ and advantages in the world.
12-31-2014 08:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.