I Root For: UAB
BBJ: Top of the List: Alabama’s largest MBA programs
http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/bl...grams.html

1.) Troy University Sorrell College of Business- 907

2.) Auburn University Raymond J. Harbert College of Business-442

3.) University of North Alabama College of Business- 420

4.) University of Alabama at Birmingham Collat School of Business- 330

5.) University of Alabama in Huntsville College of Business Administration- 190
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2014 08:46 PM by WesternBlazer.)
12-26-2014 08:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JxGx78 Online
1st String

RE: BBJ: Top of the List: Alabama’s largest MBA programs
The Financial Times had an article this week titled the "Rise and Rise of the Flexible MBA". There is a tread away from full time programs. Part-time and executive MBA programs have a much lower opportunity cost.

UAB is well positioned to take advantage of this trend. I think Part-time MBA's are going to win out over EMBA's (which normally cost 3 times as much). The Collat MBA allows someone to keep working in their field, set themselves apart, and still have a decent ROI. Now, if the school of business would start offering Masters in Economic or Finance UAB would be set.
12-26-2014 10:03 PM
braish Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk Award
Dumb question: what is the difference between an EMBA and a MBA?
12-26-2014 11:15 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-26-2014 10:03 PM)JxGx78 Wrote:  The Financial Times had an article this week titled the "Rise and Rise of the Flexible MBA". There is a tread away from full time programs. Part-time and executive MBA programs have a much lower opportunity cost.

UAB is well positioned to take advantage of this trend. I think Part-time MBA's are going to win out over EMBA's (which normally cost 3 times as much). The Collat MBA allows someone to keep working in their field, set themselves apart, and still have a decent ROI. Now, if the school of business would start offering Masters in Economic or Finance UAB would be set.

They have already started a Master's in Information Systems, where previously they only had a BS in MIS (which is what I got) and then you could get an "IS Specialization" in the MBA program. I would not be surprised to see other specialized Master's programs to spin out of the MBA program like that.
12-26-2014 11:18 PM
JxGx78 Online
1st String

(12-26-2014 11:15 PM)braish Wrote:  Dumb question: what is the difference between an EMBA and a MBA?

They tend to cost a lot more than typical MBAs and meet less frequently. Often time there is an online component, with the classroom portion taking place in a hotel or some nice on campus setting. Also, EMBA's seem to push the "networking opportunity" a lot. EMBA are often aimed at mid-career professionals, that might have a company paying.

UA EMBA cost $52K and Auburn's is $58K. For comparison UA Full-time MBA cost $28K. When you factor in opportunity cost an EMBA might make some sense. But, I think UAB's MBA is a better deal since it has the same flexibility and cost about $15K.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2014 11:48 PM by JxGx78.)
12-26-2014 11:46 PM
JxGx78 Online
1st String

(12-26-2014 11:18 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  They have already started a Master's in Information Systems, where previously they only had a BS in MIS (which is what I got) and then you could get an "IS Specialization" in the MBA program. I would not be surprised to see other specialized Master's programs to spin out of the MBA program like that.

That's good! I didn't know more programs had been started. I would love to see UAB start a quantitative finance or economics program. There is a ton of demand for that degree right now, just not a lot of students willing to major in it. Alabama only has 9 students in their Financial Risk specialization of the MS in Finance. But, I think there would be enough students for a traditional MS in Finance and Economics.
12-27-2014 12:04 AM
Advertisement

FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
It's always pissed me off that the Bammer EMBA billboard has been brazenly positioned right at the University Blvd exit for the past few years.
12-27-2014 12:26 AM
BandGrad Offline
Heisman

(12-27-2014 12:26 AM)FNblazer Wrote:  It's always pissed me off that the Bammer EMBA billboard has been brazenly positioned right at the University Blvd exit for the past few years.

That wasn't done by accident.
12-27-2014 10:52 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I have often considered how better much that billboard would look if it were consumed by fire.
12-27-2014 11:00 AM
braish Offline
All American

(12-27-2014 12:26 AM)FNblazer Wrote:  It's always pissed me off that the Bammer EMBA billboard has been brazenly positioned right at the University Blvd exit for the past few years.

Agreed. Would love to see UAB do the same in t-town.
12-27-2014 11:13 AM
braish Offline
All American

(12-26-2014 11:46 PM)JxGx78 Wrote:  
(12-26-2014 11:15 PM)braish Wrote:  Dumb question: what is the difference between an EMBA and a MBA?

They tend to cost a lot more than typical MBAs and meet less frequently. Often time there is an online component, with the classroom portion taking place in a hotel or some nice on campus setting. Also, EMBA's seem to push the "networking opportunity" a lot. EMBA are often aimed at mid-career professionals, that might have a company paying.

UA EMBA cost $52K and Auburn's is $58K. For comparison UA Full-time MBA cost $28K. When you factor in opportunity cost an EMBA might make some sense. But, I think UAB's MBA is a better deal since it has the same flexibility and cost about $15K.

Thanks!
12-27-2014 11:13 AM
Advertisement

Blazeramo Offline
Special Teams

(12-26-2014 08:45 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/bl...grams.html

1.) Troy University Sorrell College of Business- 907

2.) Auburn University Raymond J. Harbert College of Business-442

3.) University of North Alabama College of Business- 420

4.) University of Alabama at Birmingham Collat School of Business- 330

5.) University of Alabama in Huntsville College of Business Administration- 190

Don't know much about MBA's but I'm surprised that Tuscaloosa isn't on this list. I thought business school was a big deal for them.
12-27-2014 11:37 AM
JxGx78 Online
1st String

Alabama is 6th on the list with a 140 students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2014 12:31 PM by JxGx78.)
12-27-2014 12:31 PM
Blazeramo Offline
Special Teams

(12-27-2014 12:31 PM)JxGx78 Wrote:  Alabama is 6th on the list with a 140 students.

Thanks. Surprised the number isn't higher.
12-27-2014 12:43 PM
JxGx78 Online
1st String

(12-27-2014 12:43 PM)Blazeramo Wrote:  
(12-27-2014 12:31 PM)JxGx78 Wrote:  Alabama is 6th on the list with a 140 students.

Thanks. Surprised the number isn't higher.

My guess is that they are trying to move "up market". Restrict the numbers in the MBA program, but bring in students with better UGPA and test scores. They can charge more, and it would have a halo effect on the undergrad side.

12-27-2014 01:02 PM
jthrashr Offline
1st String

Executive MBAs are marketed toward individuals who are already very high-up the food chain in their organizations. They meet even less than part-time programs and have a different curriculum than typical MBA programs.

The size of Troy's and Auburn's programs are due to their online MBAs, of which Auburn actually ranks very well nationally.

I believe UAB wanted to start an EMBA at one point, but of course, the BoT said "no." It makes zero sense that the only public university in the state's largest city doesn't have a strong MBA program.
12-27-2014 01:57 PM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(12-27-2014 01:57 PM)jthrashr Wrote:  I believe UAB wanted to start an EMBA at one point, but of course, the BoT said "no." It makes zero sense that the only public university in the state's largest city doesn't have a strong MBA program.

And how does it make sense that all academic programs (not just in Business) at UAB must be granted permission to exist by the Crimson centric BOT?
12-27-2014 02:22 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-27-2014 01:57 PM)jthrashr Wrote:  

Executive MBAs are marketed toward individuals who are already very high-up the food chain in their organizations. They meet even less than part-time programs and have a different curriculum than typical MBA programs.

The size of Troy's and Auburn's programs are due to their online MBAs, of which Auburn actually ranks very well nationally.

I believe UAB wanted to start an EMBA at one point, but of course, the BoT said "no." It makes zero sense that the only public university in the state's largest city doesn't have a strong MBA program.

Starting new programs is more complicated than just the Board. New degree programs also have to be approved by the ACHE, which ideally has a mission to prevent oversupply.
12-27-2014 04:40 PM
backyardblazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Blazers
(12-27-2014 10:52 AM)BandGrad Wrote:  

Do you really believe that?

Could it be that most execs who live OTM travel down the Red Mountain Expressway on their way to work each day, and that is the target demographic for the EMBA?
12-27-2014 07:31 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(12-27-2014 07:31 PM)backyardblazer Wrote:  
(12-27-2014 10:52 AM)BandGrad Wrote:  

Do you really believe that?

Could it be that most execs who live OTM travel down the Red Mountain Expressway on their way to work each day, and that is the target demographic for the EMBA?

Stop shooting holes in the conspiracies.
12-27-2014 07:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.