Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Salt Lake Tribune's take on the fight
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The Salt Lake Tribune's take on the fight
Serious?

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/1982115-155...fullpage=1

And then … BYU gets rolled up in a nasty fight on national television, with lowlights beamed around the world, with reaction about the fight blowing up on social media. Much of it centered on … BYU and Mormons. It's not the kind of exposure for which BYU and its leaders hoped.

It is the kind of exposure that could get BYU football canceled.

Already, that's happened to sports, including football, at other BYU campuses for other reasons. And it could happen in Provo, as well.

Could.

Not saying it will. But there's no doubt that LDS Church leaders are embarrassed right now about what took place at the Miami Beach Bowl. You can walk that to the bank. Some already have their reservations about the church's top school putting so much emphasis on football. This helps not one bit.

A leadership that frowns upon long hair and beards, earrings and tattoos, must be doubly, quadruply, disappointed at senseless violence perpetrated by what it wants to consider representatives of the faith on the field, in front of millions and millions of eyeballs...
12-23-2014 10:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
RE: The Salt Lake Tribune's take on the fight
Cancel FBS football....

Riiiight....
12-23-2014 10:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
They will not cancel football but if you don't think they will take some actions at some of the players and future recruits you are filing yourself.

That #12 who is on all the videos throwing not one but two from behind sucker punches probably won't last set BYU long.

And thir coach will be told to make ure that doesn't happen again or he could be out the door also.
12-23-2014 10:42 AM
panama Offline
Legend

There will be severe suspensions and that will end this quickly
12-23-2014 10:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
UCF only won a game against BYU this year.

Memphis won the game and might get their entire program shut down. I've got to admit that's tough to top. 04-bow
12-23-2014 10:51 AM
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
Could there potentially be a self-imposed bowl ban for next year? After all, the brawl happened in a bowl game.
12-23-2014 10:51 AM
Advertisement

BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
I would not be surprised, they stop scheduling AAC teams.
12-23-2014 11:00 AM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

(12-23-2014 11:00 AM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  I would not be surprised, they stop scheduling AAC teams.

Good luck on that front. P5s are scheduling them less and less, without the AAC their schedule will be a mix of the MWC/CUSA/MAC.

They need the AAC more than we need them for OOC scheduling.
12-23-2014 11:03 AM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
and you guys though Catholics were crazy......
12-23-2014 11:04 AM
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
(12-23-2014 11:03 AM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  
(12-23-2014 11:00 AM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  I would not be surprised, they stop scheduling AAC teams.

Good luck on that front. P5s are scheduling them less and less, without the AAC their schedule will be a mix of the MWC/CUSA/MAC.

Mormons are so different in their thinking, especially their leadership.
12-23-2014 11:06 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Didnt they play UConn,Houston and UCF?

I doubt they decide yo just not play the AAC because of one game, but if they choose that it's their call
12-23-2014 11:14 AM
Advertisement

Piratelife4me Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU

Na, AAC does not=Memphis. It was obvious Memphis could not handle the new success. They have never been there before so they didn't know how to act(current roster).

AAC has some good institutions and Memphis actions are an outlier. I don't recall any other AAC team getting in a fight this year. Only fight I can remember off hand from this year was Lville/UVA. Sure there was some scuffles but Memphis went Full Memphis.
12-23-2014 11:16 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(12-23-2014 11:16 AM)Piratelife4me Wrote:  

Na, AAC does not=Memphis. It was obvious Memphis could not handle the new success. They have never been there before so they didn't know how to act(current roster).

AAC has some good institutions and Memphis actions are an outlier. I don't recall any other AAC team getting in a fight this year. Only fight I can remember off hand from this year was Lville/UVA. Sure there was some scuffles but Memphis went Full Memphis.
Yeah that's not actually a thing. LOL.

There was a scuffle. ESPN had a slow news day. The End.

And oh yeah, if this had been another school besides BYU we wouldnt be talking about it today.
12-23-2014 11:19 AM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

(12-23-2014 11:06 AM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  
(12-23-2014 11:03 AM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  

Mormons are so different in their thinking, especially their leadership.

When you're independant this day and age you can't afford to burn bridges. If they announce they'll never play Memphis again, that's one thing, but removing 10% of the available teams for future schedules wouldn't be wise.

I understand that the Mormon leadership probably doesn't care about that, just saying it will hurt BYU more than the AAC if they do... but maybe that is exactly what the church is looking to do.
12-23-2014 11:20 AM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

A lot of BYU fans are upset by Mendenhall's lack of "progress", I wonder if they use this as impetus to pressure change.
12-23-2014 11:26 AM
dcg141 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Leaving the AAC
"Just when it seemed losing to Memphis was about as embarrassing as it could get for BYU football". There you go..that was the BYU narrative all week. Arrogant going in and dirty play during the game, of which they have a history. That fight started before the game was even played. Memphis should not have gotten sucked into what was an obvious attempt to get into their heads but eventually if you play the bully you get called.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2014 11:27 AM by dcg141.)
12-23-2014 11:26 AM
Advertisement

muffinman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis State
At least people know Memphis has a football team now.
12-23-2014 11:28 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(12-23-2014 11:16 AM)Piratelife4me Wrote:  [...It was obvious Memphis could not handle the new success. They have never been there before so they didn't know how to act(current roster).

Sounds exactly like jealousy --- and you should be. 04-cheers
12-23-2014 11:32 AM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
(12-23-2014 10:51 AM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  UCF only won a game against BYU this year.

Memphis won the game and might get their entire program shut down. I've got to admit that's tough to top. 04-bow

03-lmfao Well played.
12-23-2014 11:41 AM
ultraviolet Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(12-23-2014 11:16 AM)Piratelife4me Wrote:  

I don't recall any other complaints or incidents with Memphis. BYU evidently has a history. Still, just not the way Memphis wants to be remembered the whole offseason after making such a nice story for themselves.
12-23-2014 12:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.