Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN CFB Front Page Article - "Too many bowl games? Hardly"
Bookmark and Share
NIU8484 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
Tons of NIU talk in here, along with Marshall and other G5 teams...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...5-programs

Quote:DEKALB, Ill. -- The holidays are all about gluttony, but Sean Frazier doesn't gorge on food or shopping. His indulgence is bowl games.

The Northern Illinois athletic director watches as many bowls as he can at home. Anything he misses live is recorded for later viewing. Frazier, a former Alabama linebacker who experienced five bowls with the Tide and others as an administrator at Wisconsin, can't get enough of college football's postseason. If the burgeoning number of bowls equates to what Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany calls "too much ice cream," Frazier happily will ride a two-week sugar high.

He also understands that not everyone shares his bowl affinity, especially with the first College Football Playoff only 10 days away.

"Like March Madness in basketball, some people don't start watching until the Elite Eight," Frazier said. "I think you will see some reduction in viewership because the playoff has put another category that people are excited about. But I would never, ever take away the bowls. Those who say otherwise haven't played, haven't coached. I'm very passionate about the bowls because of my personal experience.

Quote:Matchups: Unlike members of the Power 5, who have the luxury of the eye test, Group of 5 teams are often judged more on who they play, not who they are. Bowl opponents can provide an accurate final gauge on whether a team is for real or a product of a flimsy conference.

"If you're talking about a bowl, the crescendo to the end of the season, people want to see something spectacular," Frazier said. "They want to see a mini national championship. We're the best of the MAC going against the best of Conference USA. Who is the best at the end of the day? If we can get there, let's get there. If we can't, then we can settle for some of these other matchups, which are more about bowl eligibility than a championship."

Quote:NIU coach Rod Carey agrees with Holliday that matchup is the most important bowl driver for top Group of 5 teams. And not just for the season being completed.
Carey thinks quality bowl wins can springboard Group of 5 teams into contention for New Year's Six bowl spots in the following season. The New Year's Six spot given to the highest-ranked conference champion from the Group of 5 is the top goal for teams like NIU.

"If you're looking at the whole body of work, which the committee says they look at, your bowl plays into your body of work for next year," Carey said. "Humans are going to remember that."

Quote:Recruiting: The bowl trip is a homecoming of sorts for Cato and the other 28 Florida natives on Marshall's roster. It's also a chance for Marshall's coaches to keep the Florida recruiting pipeline going.

Northern Illinois makes its second bowl trip to South Florida in three years after a historic appearance in the 2013 Orange Bowl. The Huskies have 11 Florida natives on the roster and are looking for more.

East Carolina's success somehow avoided the national spotlight, but being the only bowl game on Jan. 3 against a name brand like Florida provides priceless exposure.
Although it's a recruiting dead period until mid-January and coaches can't have direct contact with recruits, recruits can visit practices. NIU held open workouts in Florida, and Carey said last week he anticipated "a significant amount" of recruits to attend.
"Any time you can get around each other more, that's a huge deal," Carey said. "It goes back to that recognition, putting a face with the name instead of hearing a voice on the phone."

It's even more significant because the official-visit rush is just around the corner, between the end of bowl season and national signing day.

"You can start to brag on your program a little bit and say, 'Take a look at us still competing in late December, early January. You'll have a chance to do that, too,'" Compher said. "That's a big piece of it."

Quote:NFL hopefuls: NIU dropped the 2013 San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl to Utah State, but it wasn't a total loss. Huskies All-America safety Jimmie Ward finished his college career with an interception and two pass breakups.

That following May, Ward was selected with the 30th overall pick in the NFL draft.

"Jimmie Ward doesn't go in the first round if he doesn't have the bowl game he had," Carey said.

Although NFL scouts had studied Ward and have evaluated this year's top Group of 5 prospects, they can focus on them more during bowl season. A strong performance against a comparable Group of 5 team, or, in the case of East Carolina quarterback Shane Carden, a talented Power 5 defense in Florida, can boost a prospect's stock before other pre-draft events.

NIU left tackle Tyler Loos, a two-time all-conference selection, hopes to earn an invitation to one of the pre-draft all-star games.

"Maybe after this game, I'll get one," Loos said. "It's a prime-time game against a good team. Hopefully, scouts will be watching and I'll get some exposure."

And one other side note, as good as it is for the players to get noticed, it's a nice boost for the programs, too. Don't think recruits don't notice which teams are placing players in the NFL.

Quote:So what does the future hold?

Despite the bowls' obvious benefits for Group of 5 teams, the system has an uncertain future in the playoff era. Holliday admits that the tone of the season -- and the postseason -- has changed with the new format.

"It used to be you went to a great bowl game or one of the BCS games and you walk out of there and there are a lot of people happy," Holliday said. "Right now, everybody's concerned about the four teams in the playoff. The rest of the teams that are out there, there might not be quite as much interest, so it's going to be interesting to see where it goes and how the other bowls are attended and what kind of exposure they get."

The system undoubtedly will be tested at the market in the coming days. But the bowls always will have support from administrators like Frazier.

"You should just leave them the hell alone," he said. "I still think there's a place for them."
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2014 03:10 PM by NIU8484.)
12-22-2014 03:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
RE: ESPN CFB Front Page Article - "Too many bowl games? Hardly"
Good stuff - I would encourage everyone to actually click on the article though. Don't think the editors don't look at market and viewership data from these articles.
12-22-2014 03:12 PM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(12-22-2014 03:12 PM)NIUSox10 Wrote:  Good stuff - I would encourage everyone to actually click on the article though. Don't think the editors don't look at market and viewership data from these articles.

Preach! 04-cheers Tis why I don't copy and paste articles onto the forums.
12-22-2014 04:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
The bowl games are obviously beyond a joke now, an ESPN article about ESPN bowl games , no conflict of interest there hahaha.
12-22-2014 04:02 PM
Advertisement

HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
(12-22-2014 04:02 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  The bowl games are obviously beyond a joke now, an ESPN article about ESPN bowl games , no conflict of interest there hahaha.

They've always been a joke but who gives a crap. Why wouldn't you want to watch your team play one more game? It's football. Enjoy it. Because in another month there's going to be nothing to watch besides basketball and life is going to suck.
12-22-2014 04:09 PM
Mark26pt2 Offline
Special Teams

Bowl games have evolved
The nature of bowl games have changed over the last 20 or 30 years. 20 years ago there were a lot less bowl games because there were a lot less opportunities for television broadcast. Thus the bowls were only viewed as an outlet for top teams that season (e.g. the Rose bowl was two top conference champions).

Flash forward to now and bowl games are more of a reward for teams that has a winning season. They are an opportunity for teams to showcase their programs and for ESPN to have additional programing. Many of the bowls are not about "championships". So as someone above me said - it's football - enjoy it.

However, NIU fans are fortunate that the NIU administration and coaches really wanted the best match up. So even an inaugural bowl will be exciting. We will have two conference champions fighting to say they are the top of the G5.

Too many bowl games? Definitely not!! Expectations too high that EVERY game should be a championship? Absolutely by some. However, when you do get the wonderful bowl game - we all should enjoy it!!

I view the Boca Bowl (a NEW bowl) as the best Christmas gift I could get. Now we just need the Huskies to go out and WIN!!!!

(sorry if I rambled here a little - but I hope you get my point)
12-22-2014 04:24 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Total embarrassment to college football with BYU/Memphis ending
12-22-2014 06:08 PM
Advertisement

cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(12-22-2014 04:09 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  
(12-22-2014 04:02 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  The bowl games are obviously beyond a joke now, an ESPN article about ESPN bowl games , no conflict of interest there hahaha.

They've always been a joke but who gives a crap. Why wouldn't you want to watch your team play one more game? It's football. Enjoy it. Because in another month there's going to be nothing to watch besides basketball and life is going to suck.

Bingo, plus if you add up all of the extra practices NIU has had in bowl game preparation since 2008, our school has played close to an extra season of football compared with schools that never have gone to a bowl in those years. It adds up.
12-22-2014 07:08 PM
huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
To me there is only 1 bowl game...NIUs. I really don't get a chance to watch any other ones
12-22-2014 09:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mark26pt2 Offline
Special Teams

(12-22-2014 09:53 PM)huskiealum03 Wrote:  To me there is only 1 bowl game...NIUs. I really don't get a chance to watch any other ones

+1
12-22-2014 10:31 PM
Advertisement

pjfleck82 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, XFL 2001

+1, well said
12-22-2014 11:49 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(12-22-2014 11:49 PM)pjfleck82 Wrote:  

+1, well said

Always look forward to those basketball games. No stress, and I can sit back and relax - even fall asleep. Does my heart good. Football? One of these seasons I won't make it through.
12-23-2014 10:03 AM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(12-23-2014 10:03 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

+1, well said

Always look forward to those basketball games. No stress, and I can sit back and relax - even fall asleep. Does my heart good. Football? One of these seasons I won't make it through.

I can sit back on this one a little more than before. Even though I recognize the matchup's place in the G5 hierarchy, ultimately this is an exhibition (that no one but the hardcores will remember by New Year's Day). The conference title is won & that flag will fly forever.

Now, one month ago? Ask anyone who saw me at the MACC what my frame of mind was like going into that game. I was so nervous and worked up that I am ashamed of myself. I was stomping around the concourse b*tching and moaning when we were up by 20 in the 3rd quarter because I didn't like Cole's calls on one series down deep. And the times I wasn't complaining (actually, I try not to b*tch publicly so people around me don't have to hear it. I go take a walk) I was so nervous I couldn't even enjoy that we were playing our best game of the year.

Today? It's the last time I'll get to see NIU play for months. May as well enjoy it.
12-23-2014 10:14 AM
Advertisement

Flying Corn Offline
All American

I Root For: "The" N-I-U
(12-23-2014 10:14 AM)cawoo22 Wrote:  
(12-23-2014 10:03 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

+1, well said

I can sit back on this one a little more than before. Even though I recognize the matchup's place in the G5 hierarchy, ultimately this is an exhibition (that no one but the hardcores will remember by New Year's Day). The conference title is won & that flag will fly forever.

Now, one month ago? Ask anyone who saw me at the MACC what my frame of mind was like going into that game. I was so nervous and worked up that I am ashamed of myself. I was stomping around the concourse b*tching and moaning when we were up by 20 in the 3rd quarter because I didn't like Cole's calls on one series down deep. And the times I wasn't complaining (actually, I try not to b*tch publicly so people around me don't have to hear it. I go take a walk) I was so nervous I couldn't even enjoy that we were playing our best game of the year.

Today? It's the last time I'll get to see NIU play for months. May as well enjoy it.

I'll start the game with the intention of enjoying it, but I'll be fit to be tied by the end of the first quarter....04-chairshot

Wow, never noticed how utterly perfect that emoticon is for today...

04-chairshot04-chairshot04-chairshot04-chairshot

Go Huskies!! Chairshot the Turds! 04-chairshot
12-23-2014 11:19 AM
spanky Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-22-2014 06:08 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Total embarrassment to college football with BYU/Memphis ending
Everybody agrees, but I think you put this in the wrong thread. What does that have to do with too many bowl games?

Every single bowl game is better than all of the bad non-conf games every year. I am more than willing to pay $$ to see my favorite team play Presbyterian or Murray St, you better believe it's a treat to see them play a bowl game.
Hell I watch pretty much every game on the weekly Thursday night games....these bowl games are better than those. Where is the outrage about the weekly Thursday night games?
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2014 02:05 AM by spanky.)
12-26-2014 01:18 AM
zdsmith Offline
1st String

I Root For: Huskies Hawks
I love bowl games. I thought matchups were always super wonky which makes them very interesting.

Also MD; the ending of BYU-Memphis can happen at the end of EVERY game. That's not ground for hating on bowls lol
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2014 01:26 AM by zdsmith.)
12-26-2014 01:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.