Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Quite possibly the best Rice KO hit ever.....
jbrt43 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Rice
Quite possibly the best Rice KO hit ever.....
1999 Rice vs Hawaii featuring Travis Ortega. Of course this is completely illegal today. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M1kfS4esys
12-22-2014 03:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
RE: Quite possibly the best Rice KO hit ever.....
I remember watching that game at 2am in the morning in college. Incredible hit.
12-22-2014 03:12 PM
Houston Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I remember that play. It completely changed the game as Hawaii's receivers played the rest of the game with one eye focused on Travis. They were a little nervous to say the least.
12-22-2014 03:14 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

Wow.

And yes, this would be way illegal today. Heck, Brandon Browner legally obliterated Ladarius Green and got flagged for it.
12-22-2014 04:15 PM
MJY Offline
1st String

I Root For:
From the main angle they showed, it looked bad, from from the angle they showed from behind the offense, it looked legal to me - led with his shoulder, hit him below the head. But the timing was too perfect and the force too great - penalty nowadays for sure.

Boy, am I glad we no longer have that "Rice" script on the jerseys - it reminds me of Comic Sans, but with less testosterone.
12-22-2014 04:35 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(12-22-2014 04:35 PM)MJY Wrote:  Boy, am I glad we no longer have that "Rice" script on the jerseys - it reminds me of Comic Sans, but with less testosterone.

The script you mention may have inspired this iteration of Sammy...
12-22-2014 04:43 PM
Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I was at that game, as a student videographer on Hatfield's staff, in press box. One of the loudest crowds I've witnessed at a Rice game (louder than Michigan's 100K+, or @Fresno which was also pretty loud, all that same season). Travis was one of the hardest hitters Rice has ever had. He was in my same class, and hall mate at Jones, cool dude.
12-22-2014 04:52 PM
Philoso-Owl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice, UCSD
(12-22-2014 04:15 PM)Antarius Wrote:  Wow.

And yes, this would be way illegal today. ... Brandon Browner illegally obliterated Ladarius Green and correctly got flagged for it.

FTFY. The penalty was announced wrong but the hit was confirmed to be unnecessary roughness by the VP of officiating.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap...o_Blandino
12-22-2014 10:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(12-22-2014 10:30 PM)Philoso-Owl Wrote:  
(12-22-2014 04:15 PM)Antarius Wrote:  Wow.

And yes, this would be way illegal today. ... Brandon Browner illegally obliterated Ladarius Green and correctly got flagged for it.

FTFY. The penalty was announced wrong but the hit was confirmed to be unnecessary roughness by the VP of officiating.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap...o_Blandino

Considering that it was shoulder led and it resulted in a fumble that was returned for a touchdown, not sure how they determined that to be "unnecessary". But, that's a debate for another time - NFL has turned a little wussy.
12-23-2014 10:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.