He is ours till 2020.
12-22-2014 10:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Campbell signs extension
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
12-22-2014 10:58 AM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Campbell says he did not interview for the Pitt job.
12-22-2014 11:00 AM
utrocks84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
nice to see the extension, but other than a pay raise and incentives the buyout is the most important part to him and UT. A contract now days in sports is made to be broken...it's only when or how soon. Does help some in recruiting, but not much any more kids know schools other than top 10 programs only rent coaches today.

As far as the "I didn't interview for the Pitt job" In todays sports world alot od negotiation and "feeling out" is done through agents. I'm sure he won't interview for any opening until he and the school have had preliminary talks through their agents/representive/search firms.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2014 11:18 AM by utrocks84.)
12-22-2014 11:15 AM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
Buyout stays the same, according to Nick P. What kind of negotiating is that by UT?!? HORRIBLE! If you give him more years and money, up the buyout! It's a win-win for MC. But not for UT. Look how Colorado St. made out after their coach bolted to Florida - $7M!
12-22-2014 11:20 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-22-2014 11:00 AM)emanoh Wrote:  Campbell says he did not interview for the Pitt job.

Of course he didn't.

I like Campbell, and he has done some good things. But consider:

1. He has never won a MAC title
2. He has never gotten to the MAC Championship game
3. He has not been able to get any big OOC wins
4. He and his staff have been unable to develop quarterbacks, wide receivers or defensive backs
5. UT fans might not like hearing it, but if BG would have had their all-conference QB against us last season, instead of a guy that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, we would have been embarrassed. They had so many wide-open deep receivers, that just a competent quarterback would have put up a ton of points.
6. Campbell already had a contract through 2017. Let him show he can get UT back to championship level before rewarding him for beating up the worst group of MAC teams in recent history.
12-22-2014 11:20 AM
Advertisement

MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I don't get why people like to hang their hat on the fact that MC hasn't won a MACC. Or had a big OOC win. Did the coach from Kent, who went to Purdue, win a MACC? Did he have any big OOC wins at Kent? Did Chryst from Pitt win the Big East (or whatever conference they were in) outright?

I'd say it less about MACC and OOC wins, and more about player development and play calling/coaching development.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2014 11:30 AM by MidnightBlueGold.)
12-22-2014 11:29 AM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Just a theory on my part, I don't know the intricacies of how Campbell's relationship is with the Toledo athletic department or their regard for him, but I think 2 things may have prompted this, and I think the 2nd one I will list is the most likely:

1. He used the Pitt interest as leverage to get a better deal (and as someone previously said, just because he didn't interview doesn't mean Pitt didn't put out feelers to him, which he could then take back to the Toledo AD).
2. He looked at the deal RTB got at WMU and said, "I've done more than he has and I've beaten him both times we've played, so why should he get paid more than me?"
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2014 11:48 AM by BarsemaBone2.)
12-22-2014 11:47 AM
Rocket75 Offline
1st String

The school is paying Lloyd Jacobs big bucks for leaving. Now Campbell gets more money for losing to NIU every year. Tutition keeps going up. There are dozens of qualified guys who would love the chance to coach Toledo. If Campbell want to jump ship, then let him. The university should be for the students and NOT for the administrators and the coaches.
12-22-2014 12:06 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Rewarding mediocrity. But the number is reasonable. I used to like the rolling contracts we did in the past. It is always two to three years out, if you are successful the school has the option to add years, if not you play with what you had.

The other thing it says, 2020 is not that far away....damn I am getting old
12-22-2014 12:13 PM
RocketBBallFan Offline
1st String

Former Rocket great Jayrone Elliot, now playing for the Green Pay Packers, tweeted his congratulations to Matt Campbell and referred to him as his "role model." It's great to see that Coach Campbell has such an impact on his players.
12-22-2014 12:18 PM
Advertisement

MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

(12-22-2014 12:13 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Rewarding mediocrity. But the number is reasonable. I used to like the rolling contracts we did in the past. It is always two to three years out, if you are successful the school has the option to add years, if not you play with what you had.

The other thing it says, 2020 is not that far away....damn I am getting old

I like what some schools do - if you win X number of games (usually 10 or 11+), or win your conference championship, a year is automatically added to the contract.
12-22-2014 12:34 PM
falconplucker Online
1st String

For what, almost winning a big game? Will the give him another extension after losing the bowl game?
12-22-2014 12:42 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
This was interesting.

Timing is everything, particularly for college coaches who want to move up (and maybe MC doesn't--I don't know, maybe he genuinely likes it here at UT). After next season, MC could easily find himself 3rd in the "coaching swepstakes" of MAC coaches if he has another 8-4 record (or one less desirable) AND if NIU and WMU have better records (especially if they pull an upset since both have very challenging OOC games next season) and one of them makes it to the MACC game, let alone wins it, then Carey (assuming he doesn't jump ship before next season) and Fleck will both likely be viewed as having brighter futures than Campbell...and, if Babers can get another MAC-East Division title (decent shot at it) and a MACC win, then he also could vault over Campbell. So, locking himself in here at UT in a sense is good for him. But I agree with Midnight that the University of Toledo blew a chance to right-size that buyout clause in exchange.
12-22-2014 12:43 PM
utrocks84 Offline
Special Teams

Midnight Darrell Hazell had a huge resume as an assistant at OSU and turned a program in Kent around in a short time. Chryst was OC at Wisconsin, a QB at Wisconsin and was hand picked by his former coach the AD at Wisconsin. Campbell hasn't improved on what Beckman did here.
12-22-2014 12:48 PM
falconplucker Online
1st String

I don't agree with increasing the buyout clause. the MAC is at or near the bottom of the barrel in hc salary. Adding a penalty for achievement will not help.
12-22-2014 12:53 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm in the "without the buy-out, it's a bad deal for UT" crowd. Other than recruit, this staff really hasn't shown the ability to out-coach or out develop pretty much anyone and the university I would hope is part of what is doing the recruiting.

The staff is under no economic penalty if they just mail it in for 6 years, yet they AND their children could retire on what they've got in the bank. Football isn't worth this. Maybe this is one of the reasons UAB dropped the sport.

If the recruiting goes south, we're stuck with a big bill until 2020. Sure wish the AD was required to address the buy-out question. There has to be some reason for the tactic chosen. Doesn't cost Coach Campbell anything if he jumps. If anything, it would inhibit him from a sideways move.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2014 02:01 PM by eastisbest.)
12-22-2014 01:58 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

Re: RE: Campbell signs extension
(12-22-2014 01:58 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  I'm in the "without the buy-out, it's a bad deal for UT" crowd. Other than recruit, this staff really hasn't shown the ability to out-coach or out develop pretty much anyone and the university I would hope is part of what is doing the recruiting.

The staff is under no economic penalty if they just mail it in for 6 years, yet they AND their children could retire on what they've got in the bank. Football isn't worth this. Maybe this is one of the reasons UAB dropped the sport.

If the recruiting goes south, we're stuck with a big bill until 2020. Sure wish the AD was required to address the buy-out question. There has to be some reason for the tactic chosen. Doesn't cost Coach Campbell anything if he jumps. If anything, it would inhibit him from a sideways move.

You hit the mail on the head. There is no penalty for him leaving (other than a measly $200k, which his new school would most likely pay for) or doing a bad job. If he gets fired, he still gets $330k+ per year. If he does good and moves on, he's a millionaire and UT only get peanuts for giving him the time and place to develop.
12-22-2014 02:18 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
In the past three season I'd say we have had the toughest OOC schedule about every year. I'd say we have had the most star player injuries of any other successful team. We have a decent win percentage, and keepin up academic excellence.

Which model program outside of NIU do you wish we were? We are IMO second in the MAC in overall success since Campbell has been in the helm, and we are very close to taking over NIU in the next few seasons. If you think he doesn't deserve an extension.... you would want the head of every other MAC teams coach every single year lol.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2014 02:35 PM by UofToledoFans.)
12-22-2014 02:23 PM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
(12-22-2014 12:43 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  This was interesting.

Timing is everything, particularly for college coaches who want to move up (and maybe MC doesn't--I don't know, maybe he genuinely likes it here at UT). After next season, MC could easily find himself 3rd in the "coaching swepstakes" of MAC coaches if he has another 8-4 record (or one less desirable) AND if NIU and WMU have better records (especially if they pull an upset since both have very challenging OOC games next season) and one of them makes it to the MACC game, let alone wins it, then Carey (assuming he doesn't jump ship before next season) and Fleck will both likely be viewed as having brighter futures than Campbell...and, if Babers can get another MAC-East Division title (decent shot at it) and a MACC win, then he also could vault over Campbell. So, locking himself in here at UT in a sense is good for him. But I agree with Midnight that the University of Toledo blew a chance to right-size that buyout clause in exchange.

Campbell's mentor is his former Head Coach at Mt. Union who stayed there a built a solid program there for over 30 years. I don't believe Mt. Union's coach had one of these "megasalaries" that are offered in Division I FBS football, but had a great career and a huge legacy. I believe Campbell would like to do the same thing also. Maybe at Toledo, maybe somewhere else. Remember also, Campbell's father was a High school head coach and didn't make the big bucks either. Hopefully, for him it's about the kids and the game and not the money.
12-22-2014 02:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.