Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bob Diaco on CFL yesterday
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
Bob Diaco on CFL yesterday
Diaco stood up when probed during the first half about us not being power5. Later during a segment they spoke about UAB shutting down; the moderator (forget his name) spoke saying he wanted football to stay how it is with as many programs so there are. Ed Cunningham on the other, said that he thinks more programs should shut down and that Diaco had to come to terms with the fact that they're not power5.

I've never liked Cunningham, I've aways thought he's an arrogant elitist. So this begs the question, what makes some power5? What's the criteria? Is it attendance? Is it big wins? Is it operational budgets? Is it facilities? Other than perception, what is it?

I find it incredibly insulting that he rails against us when there are teams that are essentially gifted P5 status that haven't earned it.
12-18-2014 11:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ECBrad Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
RE: Bob Diaco on CFL yesterday
Conference affiliation. Bowl contracts.
12-18-2014 11:48 AM
billetingman1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
(12-18-2014 11:44 AM)jaredf29 Wrote:  Diaco stood up when probed during the first half about us not being power5. Later during a segment they spoke about UAB shutting down; the moderator (forget his name) spoke saying he wanted football to stay how it is with as many programs so there are. Ed Cunningham on the other, said that he thinks more programs should shut down and that Diaco had to come to terms with the fact that they're not power5.

I've never liked Cunningham, I've aways thought he's an arrogant elitist. So this begs the question, what makes some power5? What's the criteria? Is it attendance? Is it big wins? Is it operational budgets? Is it facilities? Other than perception, what is it?

I find it incredibly insulting that he rails against us when there are teams that are essentially gifted P5 status that haven't earned it.

I watched it when I got home last night. I don't think Cunningham was directing his comment to anyone in the AAC, but more like the Idaho St. and New Mexico St. of the world. I agree there are some schools that don't belong at the D-1 Level.
12-18-2014 11:51 AM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

You may be right but at point he spoke very clearly to Diaco saying he wasn't P5.
12-18-2014 11:54 AM
Advertisement

billetingman1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
(12-18-2014 11:54 AM)jaredf29 Wrote:  You may be right but at point he spoke very clearly to Diaco saying he wasn't P5.

And that would be correct STATEMENT, no one in the AAC is. I do think we have schools that are worthy, and will eventially beome P-5. But at the momoment none of us are.
12-18-2014 11:58 AM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

(12-18-2014 11:44 AM)jaredf29 Wrote:  what makes some power5? What's the criteria? Is it attendance? Is it big wins? Is it operational budgets? Is it facilities? Other than perception, what is it?

I think the answer is a self fulfilled prophecy. Ultimately the connotation of P5 is that it's a level above on field. What makes you a level above? Coaches and Players.

Coaches is mostly about money, you can find the best coaches in the world, but before they really hit their potential they'll go somewhere that pays more. Head coaches are one thing, but its the stability of the good assistants and position coaches that really separates programs. When upper level P5s can pay position coaches, what G5s pay assistants, its hard to compete.

Players are all about perception and marketing. The lifeblood of college football ultimately hinges on the decisions of High School boys. Its not by chance that the ones projected to be the best end up at the same handful of schools. However here, is where the self fulfilling prophecy comes into play. The P5 are the P5, because they are classified as the P5. They get the players because of that classification and will defend that classification because they have the players.

This was starting to deteriorate under the BCS old system. A lot of the G5s had great exposure contracts with ESPN. These allowed them to get ranked and to break into the BCS. The playoff attempts to "fix" this, by removing the power to decide who is relevant from computers and journalist. Leaving it in the hands of a committee that just so happens to be made mostly of representatives of the P5 conferences.
12-18-2014 12:04 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but the anomaly is no one is P5 until they are. Boise state could go to as many bcs or big bowls and beat P5 teams all day but they're not P5. It was the same with TCU but now they're in, they had one year of drop off but they were almost in the playoff. Utah had some drop off but this year they're ranked. Simply by attributing status teams that once weren't worthy are now worthy, that's my point.
12-18-2014 12:05 PM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(12-18-2014 11:48 AM)ECBrad Wrote:  Conference affiliation. Bowl contracts.

Left out tv contracts.

I'd asterisk Conference Affiliation on the lines of, some members of those conferences HAVE DONE IT, and have done it successfully for a long time so some in the conference have merit, but others are hangers on.
12-18-2014 12:12 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: RE: Bob Diaco on CFL yesterday
(12-18-2014 11:44 AM)jaredf29 Wrote:  Diaco stood up when probed during the first half about us not being power5. Later during a segment they spoke about UAB shutting down; the moderator (forget his name) spoke saying he wanted football to stay how it is with as many programs so there are. Ed Cunningham on the other, said that he thinks more programs should shut down and that Diaco had to come to terms with the fact that they're not power5.

He

Stood up when he was probed. ..

Huh huh huh huh

I bet he did
12-18-2014 12:14 PM
ECUPirated Offline
NAPALMINATOR

I Root For: American Rising
Last I checked the NCAA guidelines, there is.........

Division I FBS and Division I FCS and then all the rest of the divisions.

Didn't see anything called Power 5 / Group of 5 or / Mid-major / Red-headed step child / Haves / Have nots / etc. etc. etc.

Contract conference CC / Non contract conference NCC are legitimate terms to use until such time as the CARTEL take their ball and run home with it. Every thing else is media malarkey. We may not have the level of resources, but all our teams play on the same fields as Alafrigginbama, Texas and the rest.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2014 12:33 PM by ECUPirated.)
12-18-2014 12:31 PM
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
(12-18-2014 11:44 AM)jaredf29 Wrote:  So this begs the question, what makes some power5? What's the criteria? Is it attendance? Is it big wins? Is it operational budgets? Is it facilities? Other than perception, what is it?

It's whatever the current P5 says it is. It's to some extent whatever ESPN says it is.

If either or both of them want someone to be P5, then that school will be P5.
12-18-2014 04:10 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

(12-18-2014 04:10 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  
(12-18-2014 11:44 AM)jaredf29 Wrote:  So this begs the question, what makes some power5? What's the criteria? Is it attendance? Is it big wins? Is it operational budgets? Is it facilities? Other than perception, what is it?

It's whatever the current P5 says it is. It's to some extent whatever ESPN says it is.

If either or both of them want someone to be P5, then that school will be P5.

I think you hit the nail on the head, there's a fundamental problem with this. It's letting the inmates run the asylum. I don't want to get too political but this goes against everything that's American and free markets, does it not?
12-18-2014 05:06 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

It's the perception of the bigger names and being lucky enough to have them as associates.

That's what separates us from the top. We are generally a good group, but those closest to us aren't willing to accept us as peers. Do our P5 neighbors consider us rivals or "little brother"?

How do you guys view the AAC compared to the P5, as far as the relations amongst the member institutions? All of these conferences have a certain pride in its associations with the members from athletics all the way down to academics. We are just a group of institutions in purgatory. We have nothing to do with each other outside of the playing field (except those who happen to be close to one another).

At some point we need to collectively do something to mark ourselves as peer institutions.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2014 06:52 PM by nomad2u2001.)
12-18-2014 06:47 PM
First Mate Offline
1st String

(12-18-2014 12:12 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(12-18-2014 11:48 AM)ECBrad Wrote:  Conference affiliation. Bowl contracts.

Left out tv contracts.

I'd asterisk Conference Affiliation on the lines of, some members of those conferences HAVE DONE IT, and have done it successfully for a long time so some in the conference have merit, but others are hangers on.

It's all TV contracts. That is the line of demarcation. If the AAC was getting 15-20 MM per team it would be the Power 6. Same with the MWC
12-18-2014 06:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.