Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Should we be concerned about medical schools using Affirmative Action?
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Should we be concerned about medical schools using Affirmative Action?
Well?
12-17-2014 08:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Should we be concerned about medical schools using Affirmative Action?
Not really

There is a truth under all of this kind of talk, standardized tests don't measure capability.

No test that you can learn to take and work is a good measure of a person.

If we wanted to be fair we'd hand out something that tests pure brain hp, if such a test truly existed.

Things like the MCAT and LSAT are about gaming the system, not how capable you are.
12-17-2014 08:38 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(12-17-2014 08:38 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Not really

There is a truth under all of this kind of talk, standardized tests don't measure capability.

No test that you can learn to take and work is a good measure of a person.

If we wanted to be fair we'd hand out something that tests pure brain hp, if such a test truly existed.

Things like the MCAT and LSAT are about gaming the system, not how capable you are.

But isn't the point to take the best available talent based on the testing we do have?
12-17-2014 10:54 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

The problem is what we have isn't measuring talent. It's measuring conformity.
12-17-2014 10:58 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(12-17-2014 10:58 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  The problem is what we have isn't measuring talent. It's measuring conformity.

No matter what we test, shouldn't we choose the people who score best? Otherwise, why test at all?
12-17-2014 11:15 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-17-2014 11:15 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  
(12-17-2014 10:58 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  The problem is what we have isn't measuring talent. It's measuring conformity.

No matter what we test, shouldn't we choose the people who score best? Otherwise, why test at all?

The point is we need a new yardstick. So, should we be worried about standards today? No. The absolute morons that can game the system to get into elite institutions for medical school, or whatever, would blow your mind.

We need a new measuring stick. The ones we have now measure conformity, and you really don't want the biggest conformist on the block as your doctor, lawyer, or whatever else.
12-17-2014 11:22 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(12-17-2014 11:22 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

The point is we need a new yardstick. So, should we be worried about standards today? No. The absolute morons that can game the system to get into elite institutions for medical school, or whatever, would blow your mind.

We need a new measuring stick. The ones we have now measure conformity, and you really don't want the biggest conformist on the block as your doctor, lawyer, or whatever else.

The measuring stick exists, it's called medical school. The reason there are so many wickets between pre-med and MD is to try and weed out those who are incapable of being a doctor. The tests are necessary because it demonstrates ones memory recall, which is essentially when in a crisis situation.
12-18-2014 08:22 AM
Advertisement

LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
Yes, in my opinion we should be concerned.

I'd rather expel the discrimination and go with the best qualified because at this point, it's the best we have.
12-18-2014 09:34 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(12-17-2014 08:38 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Not really

I'd disagree. While not perfect, standardized tests do measure capability. Lots of studies confirm that, although they're not popular to reference.

Now for my own experience, having taught MCAT prep courses, my answer is HELL YES. There are some very stupid and lazy people who want to be physicians. They believe that they can just discuss things to arrive at an answer; one that "feels" right to them as opposed to one supported by rigorous science.

They have been passed along, even cheered along, via AA, resulting in a student w/ both exaggerated grade credentials and an overinflated sense of ability. More than once the MCAT has been the obstacle that has kept them from taking one of the scarce med school seats, likely filled by someone of significantly greater ability.

Now in the end, most of these unqualified posers would be weeded out of med school if they get in. But we still lose those seats for qualified students and there is a shortage of physicians. However, AA will (and probably has) usher some of them through med school, and they will do significant harm to their patients.
12-18-2014 11:46 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

HoD, isn't that what a diploma does? Like Torch said, the limited number of available seats should go to the folks with the best possible chance of succeeding. Agree?
12-18-2014 12:09 PM
Advertisement

Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Not necessarily. Testing really only measures what a person has learned up to beginning Medical School. It really doesn't measure how hard someone is willing to work to achieve a goal, etc.

The world is full of intelligent and educated idiots. I'm not saying we ignore test scores, just that those scores shouldn't be the sole determinant.

With that said, I'm not in favor of accepting someone with lower scores based solely in skin color or ethnicity.

It isn't an easy call - for example, when we walk into a doctor's office, we don't demand their test scores that got them into med school OR what they ranked in their class.
12-18-2014 12:35 PM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-18-2014 12:09 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  

HoD, isn't that what a diploma does? Like Torch said, the limited number of available seats should go to the folks with the best possible chance of succeeding. Agree?

Might not the best answer be to have more seats, but weed out those incapable rather than continue to purposely limit seats at the table?

Generally, I fall more in favor of giving someone their shot to fail or succeed within minimum qualification standards.
12-18-2014 12:41 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(12-18-2014 11:46 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  They have been passed along, even cheered along, via AA, resulting in a student w/ both exaggerated grade credentials and an overinflated sense of ability.

http://www.nationalreview.com/phi-beta-c...eorge-leef
12-18-2014 12:53 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-18-2014 12:09 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  

I do agree. Where I disagree is on what is measuring those with the "best possible chance." Standardized tests and GPAs aren't speaking to who has the best chance. They are measuring something else.

The end result is we say that a kid is set to do X because they are great at Y.

That's a problem across the spectrum.
12-18-2014 01:00 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
yes.
12-19-2014 10:11 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
We have to jump into this conversation from a few angles. I'm on the fence about the system.
12-20-2014 03:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.