Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tim Brando show suggests G5 playoff. What do you think?
First Mate Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
Tim Brando show suggests G5 playoff. What do you think?
Patrick Netherton makes some great points. He says P5 wants to shut out G5 anyway and is giving them a small amount of money now. He says they will never allow a great team from the G5 to win the national champ in football.

Why not start a 4 or 8 team playoff with the best of the G5. Pitch it to the networks not named ESPN. He thinks there is a market for it and it would pay the G5 more than they are getting now and give them a lot more exposure. Would generate a lot of excitement.

What do you guys think of the idea? I kind of agree with the guy. We've got to start thinking outside of the box the P5 has put us in.

FYI he doesn't suggest a breakaway. He says regular season would allow teams to play P5 OOC. Teams not making the playoff could play in traditional bowls as well if they desire.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2014 11:57 AM by First Mate.)
12-17-2014 11:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcat61 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Tim Brando show suggests G5 playoff. What do you think?
(12-17-2014 11:51 AM)First Mate Wrote:  Patrick Netherton makes some great points. He says P5 wants to shut out G5 anyway and is giving them a small amount of money now. He says they will never allow a great team from the G5 to win the national champ in football.

Why not start a 4 or 8 team playoff with the best of the G5. Pitch it to the networks not named ESPN. He thinks there is a market for it and it would pay the G5 more than they are getting now and give them a lot more exposure. Would generate a lot of excitement.

What do you guys think of the idea? I kind of agree with the guy. We've got to start thinking outside of the box the P5 has put us in.

FYI he doesn't suggest a breakaway. He says regular season would allow teams to play P5 OOC. Teams not making the playoff could play in traditional bowls as well if they desire.

Not a good idea IMO. In the long run it would generate as much interest as the FCS in football or the NIT in basketball. I prefer the best of the G-5 goes to the Access bowl (and win it) and in an exceptional year, make it into the CFP. I even prefer an 8 team playoff with the best of the G-5 as a 8th seed.04-cheers
12-17-2014 12:10 PM
HAL 9100 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UCF
RE: Tim Brando show suggests G5 playoff
The problem is that this is essentially is putting up the white flag and giving up. The Big 6(and now P5) have been in a constant battle of trying to separate themselves from everyone else on the field, off the field, and financially. A G5 playoff or tournament draws a line in the sand and says you guys are better than us so we're just going to play by ourselves and become the new FCS. It'll hurt perception, recruiting, and removes any possibility of ever challenging for the real national championship. We have to keep fighting against the P5, imo.

I would watch and enjoy it though. I'd rather see something more akin to the NIT where any conference champion left out of the CFP is allowed in and then maybe they fill out some at-large teams from all conferences. So, Baylor, Boise State, whichever AAC team wins a tiebreaker, NIU, Marshall, Georgia Southern, and then TCU and Colorado State or w/e. It does the same sort of thing as what Brando is suggesting, but doesn't create the visual separation between the P5 and G5.
12-17-2014 12:11 PM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
Nope. Never end the fight!
12-17-2014 12:25 PM
First Mate Offline
1st String

(12-17-2014 12:25 PM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  Nope. Never end the fight!

I agree with never giving up the fight. However I like to idea of playing meaningful games for the conference champs who aren't selected for the playoff.

Why not? Marshall is playing NIU in a meaningless bowl for instance. After winning a conference title you should deserve more. We could keep the stuff we have now in place.

If we do nothing we die on the vine IMO. Either give us an automatic spot in the playoff or start something else on our own.
12-17-2014 12:29 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
You can run a G5 playoff AND be a part of the CFP system at the same time.

If a school gets selected to the CFP bowl system, then just take the next man up and make the G5 playoff teams #2-9.

It would be the football version of the NIT - and I hate to say it, but it would be better publicity than what nearly all of the G5 members get "as-is". I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN bid on it, either!
12-17-2014 12:30 PM
Advertisement

SublimeKnight Offline
All American

(12-17-2014 12:30 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  You can run a G5 playoff AND be a part of the CFP system at the same time.

If a school gets selected to the CFP bowl system, then just take the next man up and make the G5 playoff teams #2-9.

It would be the football version of the NIT - and I hate to say it, but it would be better publicity than what nearly all of the G5 members get "as-is". I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN bid on it, either!

Have each conference champion and the top 3 P5s you can get (probably best available after new years bowls). It'll go 1 of 2 ways. Either the P5s will win it consistently and it's a failure or the G5s win it more often than not and you start gaining respect.
12-17-2014 12:36 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Whats the point?
12-17-2014 12:41 PM
First Mate Offline
1st String

(12-17-2014 12:41 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  Whats the point?

More money, more exposure, better competition than meaningless bowls.
12-17-2014 01:10 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(12-17-2014 01:10 PM)First Mate Wrote:  

To what end?
12-17-2014 01:18 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
This is what the P5 wants us to do, create our own system to crown a King of the Midgets. Might as well take June Jones' idea and play in spring while we're at it
12-17-2014 01:20 PM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(12-17-2014 11:51 AM)First Mate Wrote:  Patrick Netherton makes some great points. He says P5 wants to shut out G5 anyway and is giving them a small amount of money now. He says they will never allow a great team from the G5 to win the national champ in football.

Might as well join FCS and get it over with...
12-17-2014 01:26 PM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

(12-17-2014 01:20 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  This is what the P5 wants us to do, create our own system to crown a King of the Midgets. Might as well take June Jones' idea and play in spring while we're at it

That's why I say you'd have to include the best P5s you can get as at-larges. If you could get $4m per team (which should be easy) then you could get the next best after the CFP tie-ins. So the field this year would be:
1. AAC "champion"
2. Marshall
3. NIU
4. SDSU/Colorado State
5. ULL
6. K-State
7. Georgia
8. UCLA
12-17-2014 01:29 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(12-17-2014 01:29 PM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  
(12-17-2014 01:20 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  This is what the P5 wants us to do, create our own system to crown a King of the Midgets. Might as well take June Jones' idea and play in spring while we're at it

That's why I say you'd have to include the best P5s you can get as at-larges. If you could get $4m per team (which should be easy) then you could get the next best after the CFP tie-ins. So the field this year would be:
1. AAC "champion"
2. Marshall
3. NIU
4. SDSU/Colorado State
5. ULL
6. K-State
7. Georgia
8. UCLA

So, you're going to get Kansas State, Georgia, and UCLA to leave their major Bowl games...to take a lower seed than ULL/NIU/Marshall...and play in a game that nobody will be watching?

Yeah. Good luck with that.

(After Kansas State, Georgia, and UCLA get done laughing, you ***might*** be able to snare a Illinois (6-6), Arkansas (6-6), and Pittsburgh (6-6) to participate...MAYBE... But my guess is that the P-5 conferences would ban their schools from participating...)
12-17-2014 01:38 PM
First Mate Offline
1st String

So just take it like we have it now? What do we have left to lose?
12-17-2014 01:39 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
The P5 have already cut the G5 out of the playoff. There is no way that any G5 team will survive the CFP committee.

Brando is suggesting an NIT setup because he knows the G5 are out as-is - so they might as well have SOMETHING to do after the season ends.
12-17-2014 01:43 PM
Advertisement

SublimeKnight Offline
All American

(12-17-2014 01:38 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  So, you're going to get Kansas State, Georgia, and UCLA to leave their major Bowl games...to take a lower seed than ULL/NIU/Marshall...and play in a game that nobody will be watching?
I don't know the seeding. I was just numbering them to make sure I didn't forget a conference. As for leaving their "major Bowl games", if the playoff can get $4m per team, that's a bigger payout then they'd get from their "major Bowl game". Put the games at home stadiums so there's no bowl allotment nonsense and it makes a lot of economic sense for them.
12-17-2014 01:44 PM
ECBrad Offline
1st String

This would be formalizing a separate division of football. Anyone who is advocating for this is advocating for FCS with more scholarships.
12-17-2014 01:45 PM
dezagcoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coogs!
(12-17-2014 01:45 PM)ECBrad Wrote:  This would be formalizing a separate division of football. Anyone who is advocating for this is advocating for FCS with more scholarships.

Pretty much.
12-17-2014 01:59 PM
PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
(12-17-2014 01:10 PM)First Mate Wrote:  

All of our bowl teams are playing teams from the Cartel this year. You wouldn't be able to do that with a playoff between the G-5.
12-17-2014 02:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.