Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FBS Attendance Falls
Bookmark and Share
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

I Root For: NIU
FBS Attendance Falls
FBS average attendance dropped to its lowest number in 14 years.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball.../24891415/

FYI. NIU had the 8th worst attendance in all of FBS football and a staggering 34% drop in attendance from last year. yikes.
12-15-2014 05:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
RE: FBS Attendance Falls
(12-15-2014 05:07 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  FBS average attendance dropped to its lowest number in 14 years.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball.../24891415/

FYI. NIU had the 8th worst attendance in all of FBS football and a staggering 34% drop in attendance from last year. yikes.

Nice job Huskie fans!!!
12-15-2014 05:16 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
Our home schedule could hardly have been worse and there was bad weather too.

-Opened with Presby and it was raining.

-Three game homestand which is always an attendance killer and it was cold for the Kent and CMU games.

-Toledo was Tuesday night and cold.

Attendance is down everywhere mostly due to every game being televised and, at least in the MAC's case, weeknight games.
12-15-2014 05:27 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(12-15-2014 05:27 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  Our home schedule could hardly have been worse and there was bad weather too.

The weather on homecoming was amazing and we barely drew 20k
12-15-2014 05:29 PM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

Depending on what our MAC schedule looks like, I will be more worried if next year's attendance is as bad as it was this year.
12-15-2014 05:30 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2014 05:29 PM)armour248 Wrote:  
(12-15-2014 05:27 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  Our home schedule could hardly have been worse and there was bad weather too.

The weather on homecoming was amazing and we barely drew 20k

The other 4 home games had an excuse. This one did not. It should have sold out.

This was not the students fault either! That was 100% the locals and alums not supporting the program on Homecoming and an amazing weather day.
12-15-2014 05:35 PM
Advertisement

RedandBlackAttack Offline
1st String

It's okay because EMU had a 271% increase from last year!!! The biggest increase in all of FBS football!!
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2014 05:35 PM by RedandBlackAttack.)
12-15-2014 05:35 PM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Everything in our society is getting structured so that "only number one" counts. To quote Ricky Bobby's dad, "If you ain't first, your last."

That's the mentality. And the more it goes that way, the more people will choose to stay home and watch some 1 v 2 match up on TV rather than to go out to see a game in person that is not a number 1 v 2 matchup or similar.

That's the structure the NCAA has now fostered. Welcome to the new normal.
12-15-2014 05:56 PM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

We were going to have bad attendance this year regardless. You could tell after the first game or two. Combine that with all the weeknight games and..well...there you have it.
12-15-2014 06:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(12-15-2014 05:56 PM)chihuskie Wrote:  Everything in our society is getting structured so that "only number one" counts. To quote Ricky Bobby's dad, "If you ain't first, your last."

That's the mentality. And the more it goes that way, the more people will choose to stay home and watch some 1 v 2 match up on TV rather than to go out to see a game in person that is not a number 1 v 2 matchup or similar.

That's the structure the NCAA has now fostered. Welcome to the new normal.

You make some excellent points chihuskie. As you point out, remember the days when "any game" could be a great game to watch based on the play of the game NOT who was playing.

Thank you to the NCAA and also to ESPN who really has a great effect and pull with the "kids". Teens and twentysomethings. ESPN just pounds the promotions of the "big name" teams. Whether it's the SEC or Yankees & Red Sox ( I swear they play each other half the season.)

The solution? I dunno...but some of it is improving the "Game Day Experience" which SF is trying to do.
12-15-2014 06:06 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2014 06:00 PM)niuguy Wrote:  We were going to have bad attendance this year regardless. You could tell after the first game or two. Combine that with all the weeknight games and..well...there you have it.

Home games vs Ball St, Ohio (likely) and WMU...that should give us at least 1 "good" (all things relative) Saturday MAC game right?

I bet we host WMU the Tuesday before Thanksgiving again.
12-15-2014 06:09 PM
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:It's okay because EMU had a 271% increase from last year!!! The biggest increase in all of FBS football!!

Yeah, because they also count the buttons on someone's shirt, too. :)
12-15-2014 06:18 PM
Who You Crappin'? Offline
1st String

Yeah, it was cold out for the Toledo game. Didn't stop us from tailgating and having a great time. Tired of hearing that it was cold out. Suck it up. I've gone to Bears games in colder weather than that. Lame ass excuse if you ask me.
12-15-2014 06:33 PM
huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
It shouldnt be a matter of 'which fan group is to blame' for attendance woes, but rather, what can be done to address the root cause of why people arent going to games
12-15-2014 07:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
scottiep12 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
TV experience is too good. Convenient, multiple screens, $.

Our sched and luck was brutal. Presby on a thur in the rain. Than we get crappy weather and a lackluster perf against a horrible KSU. Most people waited for homecoming and then some luster lost after a close win vs KSU and a Arky beat down on the resume. Still 20k is a good number. Than Miami, after the disappointment vs CMU and freezing weather, nobody shows up. Toledo was disappointing but it was freaking way too cold for the casual fan. Just bad luck all around with weather, scheduling, team performance.

Also not mentioned yet...price. Presby, KSU, MOh and Toledo all were over priced based on value. I know this is Frazier's long term pricing strategy but it back fired big time in year 1.

$100+ to drag a family out on a weeknight and/or crappy weather...tough.
12-15-2014 07:18 PM
Flying Corn Offline
All American

I Root For: "The" N-I-U
(12-15-2014 06:33 PM)Who You Crappin? Wrote:  Yeah, it was cold out for the Toledo game. Didn't stop us from tailgating and having a great time. Tired of hearing that it was cold out. Suck it up. I've gone to Bears games in colder weather than that. Lame ass excuse if you ask me.

While I respect what you are saying, I'm pretty sure my kidneys and pancreas froze during last year's WMU game. I've been a diehard most of my adult life, but I will never endure that kind of misery again...
12-15-2014 07:46 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2014 07:09 PM)huskiealum03 Wrote:  It shouldnt be a matter of 'which fan group is to blame' for attendance woes, but rather, what can be done to address the root cause of why people arent going to games

Indoor, outdoor heated or Chairback seats with access to a club where you can watc the game will help.

Having a prime home game will help.

Having a family season ticket package should help

Having a young alum season ticket could help in the long term.

Not running out of food would help for people coming for the first time.
12-15-2014 08:09 PM
niuaccy1976 Offline
1st String

(12-15-2014 07:18 PM)scottiep12 Wrote:  TV experience is too good. Convenient, multiple screens, $.

Our sched and luck was brutal. Presby on a thur in the rain. Than we get crappy weather and a lackluster perf against a horrible KSU. Most people waited for homecoming and then some luster lost after a close win vs KSU and a Arky beat down on the resume. Still 20k is a good number. Than Miami, after the disappointment vs CMU and freezing weather, nobody shows up. Toledo was disappointing but it was freaking way too cold for the casual fan. Just bad luck all around with weather, scheduling, team performance.

Also not mentioned yet...price. Presby, KSU, MOh and Toledo all were over priced based on value. I know this is Frazier's long term pricing strategy but it back fired big time in year 1.

$100+ to drag a family out on a weeknight and/or crappy weather...tough.

But only fans with tickets get to see epic features like, "What's a Golden Flash?" during timeouts.
12-15-2014 08:52 PM
KMR_NIU_13 Offline
Bench Warmer

FBS Attendance Falls
A nice home schedule from the MAC would be great next year. Space out the home games for the league's premier team. We should get some good turn outs for the early games against Murray state and unlv.
12-15-2014 09:39 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(12-15-2014 09:39 PM)KMR_NIU_13 Wrote:  A nice home schedule from the MAC would be great next year. Space out the home games for the league's premier team. We should get some good turn outs for the early games against Murray state and unlv.

I don't think the MAC is going to do us any favors. We're the red headed step child out west that has dominated the conference and has pretty clear aspirations of leaving the MAC in the dust
12-15-2014 10:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.