Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez meets with Greg Schiano....
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez meets with Greg Schiano....
From the Article:

Paul Chryst might well be the next Wisconsin coach, as reported by multiple outlets, but athletic director Barry Alvarez has met with at least one other potential candidate.

A person with knowledge of the matter told USA TODAY Sports Alvarez met Thursday with Greg Schiano. The person requested anonymity because of the private nature of the matter.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca.../20334885/
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 11:00 PM by Maize.)
12-12-2014 11:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
RE: Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez meets with Greg Schiano....
Schiano would be a better hire than Cryst, but I dunno man...sure seems like there's some kind of troubles behind the scenes up there in Wisky...
12-13-2014 05:57 AM
allthatyoucantleavebehind Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Penn State
I know Schiano isn't a rock star coach...but I sure would like him at a lower-tier Big Ten school. Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers (oh, wait... :) ). He's a solid recruiter in Jersey and Florida...many major programs had him as a coordinator...he has major HC experience (even NFL). Hate to see him go to the ACC.
12-13-2014 06:07 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-13-2014 06:07 AM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  I know Schiano isn't a rock star coach...but I sure would like him at a lower-tier Big Ten school. Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers (oh, wait... :) ). He's a solid recruiter in Jersey and Florida...many major programs had him as a coordinator...he has major HC experience (even NFL). Hate to see him go to the ACC.

If Cryst goes to Wisconsin...IMO Pitt should look at him and Bo Pelini along with Narduzzi...
12-13-2014 06:09 AM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
I like SChiano for Michigan over Miles but not Harbaugh .
I don't think Harbough is coming and he is wacky.
12-13-2014 09:36 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-13-2014 09:36 AM)MJG Wrote:  I like SChiano for Michigan over Miles but not Harbaugh .
I don't think Harbough is coming and he is wacky.

Michigan has to give both the Harbaugh's and Les Miles the opportunity to turn it down....then they can offer Schiano if he is still available...
12-13-2014 09:46 AM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
So if Alvarez decides to hire Schiano, has he left Chryst hung out to dry at Pitt? Doesn't sound like Barry has his AD act together. If he behaved this clumsily on the CFP selection committee as well, maybe it's time for him to step aside.
12-13-2014 11:45 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-13-2014 11:45 AM)ken d Wrote:  So if Alvarez decides to hire Schiano, has he left Chryst hung out to dry at Pitt? Doesn't sound like Barry has his AD act together. If he behaved this clumsily on the CFP selection committee as well, maybe it's time for him to step aside.

No...I think he is just doing fis due diligence...
12-13-2014 11:54 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(12-13-2014 11:54 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(12-13-2014 11:45 AM)ken d Wrote:  So if Alvarez decides to hire Schiano, has he left Chryst hung out to dry at Pitt? Doesn't sound like Barry has his AD act together. If he behaved this clumsily on the CFP selection committee as well, maybe it's time for him to step aside.

Chryst was always the guy. The Anderson hire seemed off to me from the very beginning. It isn't any big secret what the mentality is like there at Wisconsin. It seemed like a hire that the folks there might see as "inferior" to what they deserve.

Chryst had just signed on with Pitt pretty much. Seems to me a bridge coach was needed. You hit the nail on the head with your due diligence comment. You cant let it be That obvious that this job was Chryst's before Anderson even left.
12-13-2014 12:32 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(12-13-2014 06:09 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(12-13-2014 06:07 AM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  I know Schiano isn't a rock star coach...but I sure would like him at a lower-tier Big Ten school. Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers (oh, wait... :) ). He's a solid recruiter in Jersey and Florida...many major programs had him as a coordinator...he has major HC experience (even NFL). Hate to see him go to the ACC.

If Cryst goes to Wisconsin...IMO Pitt should look at him and Bo Pelini along with Narduzzi...

I think that if Chryst goes back to Whiskey, Pitt probably looks at former Penn State DC/Current WVU assistant, Tom Bradley.
12-13-2014 12:33 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-13-2014 12:33 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

I think that if Chryst goes back to Whiskey, Pitt probably looks at former Penn State DC/Current WVU assistant, Tom Bradley.

Tom Bradley...the 35 Year Assistant Coach...Wow.....01-wingedeagle
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2014 12:41 PM by Maize.)
12-13-2014 12:40 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(12-13-2014 12:40 PM)Maize Wrote:  

Bruce Arians was a lifelong assistant until getting the Cardinals head-coaching job at age 60 he's done pretty well for himself
12-13-2014 12:58 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-13-2014 12:32 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

Chryst was always the guy. The Anderson hire seemed off to me from the very beginning. It isn't any big secret what the mentality is like there at Wisconsin. It seemed like a hire that the folks there might see as "inferior" to what they deserve.

Chryst had just signed on with Pitt pretty much. Seems to me a bridge coach was needed. You hit the nail on the head with your due diligence comment. You cant let it be That obvious that this job was Chryst's before Anderson even left.

That may be true. But a good AD doesn't do his due diligence in public. What's wrong with letting people believe that Chryst was your first choice if you end up hiring him?
12-13-2014 01:36 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(12-13-2014 01:36 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(12-13-2014 12:32 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

That may be true. But a good AD doesn't do his due diligence in public. What's wrong with letting people believe that Chryst was your first choice if you end up hiring him?

Well, I don't have an answer but I would say that the answer to your question probably lies somewhere within the Wisconsin power structure. He may not have "Everyone" on board with the Alvarez Agenda.
12-13-2014 02:15 PM
prp Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tartans!
Most states have laws that require multiple candidates be interviewed for any public sector job. It's possible Schiano was just brought in to check the box. The delay in the Paul Chryst hire becoming official is apparently because the opening must be posted for a minimum number of business days before it can filled.
12-13-2014 02:24 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-13-2014 02:24 PM)prp Wrote:  Most states have laws that require multiple candidates be interviewed for any public sector job. It's possible Schiano was just brought in to check the box. The delay in the Paul Chryst hire becoming official is apparently because the opening must be posted for a minimum number of business days before it can filled.

Yes...it has to be posted for 5 Business Days...
12-13-2014 02:35 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-13-2014 02:24 PM)prp Wrote:  Most states have laws that require multiple candidates be interviewed for any public sector job. It's possible Schiano was just brought in to check the box. The delay in the Paul Chryst hire becoming official is apparently because the opening must be posted for a minimum number of business days before it can filled.

Wonder how that makes Greg Schiano feel?
12-13-2014 03:06 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-13-2014 03:06 PM)ken d Wrote:  

You still do the interview...part of networking...
12-13-2014 03:24 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
(12-13-2014 12:40 PM)Maize Wrote:  

Bradley was exceptional loyal to Joe Paterno and PSU. He was probably going to be the successor until the scandal hit.
12-13-2014 03:36 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-13-2014 03:24 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(12-13-2014 03:06 PM)ken d Wrote:  

You still do the interview...part of networking...

Perhaps. But you have to put this in context. Schiano was a successful BCS HC, and a head coach in the NFL. So what does he want to do next? If he's really interested in the Michigan job, does being publicly rejected by Wisconsin help him or hurt him? If he's interested in the Pitt job, will he be viewed as the guy Wisconsin thought wasn't as good as they guy you just lost? Or his he just biding his time waiting for the "right" job to open up?

If you are the coach at, say, Northern Illinois, and you get to interview for the Wisconsin job (knowing you really aren't considered a serious candidate) there's not much downside for you. But if you are a coach whose name is being mentioned for a lot of high profile jobs, there is a risk in being seen as too needy or desperate. He's walking a tightrope here, IMO.
12-13-2014 05:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.