UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Iron City Steps Up by Dropping Support
BlazerRob Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Blazers
Iron City Steps Up by Dropping Support
Iron City Drops Support

Hit 'um where it hurts. In the pocket book.
12-12-2014 01:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Agent Orange Sauce Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB Rifle
RE: Iron City Steps Up by Dropping Support
(12-12-2014 01:36 AM)BlazerRob Wrote:  Iron City Drops Support

Hit 'um where it hurts. In the pocket book.

Hits just keep on coming. This is just the beginning.
12-12-2014 01:51 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
I know for a fact the owner has put days of work into trying to save football. I see watts pr firm has started with the negative comments.
12-12-2014 06:19 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

Img said they paid uab $800,000 to broadcast uab sports and most of that was because of football. One more source of sports related income that's going to disappear that watts ignored. #wattsmustgo
12-12-2014 06:26 AM
BlazerFire Offline
1st String

Scarbo's take on Iron City's move…..

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/...cart_river

"He explained that he'd been in discussions with Mackin about helping to raise funds for a 400-meter track and track stadium for UAB with a state-of-the-art running surface."

So where is this "state of the art" track and field stadium going to be constructed? LET ME GUESS!!!!

Additionally – I was in track. A big proponent of it. But a track, stadium, etc will NEVER, EVER pay for itself. Not in 100 years.

But a track and stadium will prevent a football stadium from being built on the same site. Unless you tear down the track stadium and waste that investment. These guys are disgusting and not nearly as smart as they think they are.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 08:01 AM by BlazerFire.)
12-12-2014 07:56 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
The 1st of many if "Mussolini" isn't dealt with and we don't get our football, rifle and bowling teams back.
12-12-2014 08:02 AM
Advertisement

KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

I hate it for UAB, but right now it's all about making Ray Watts look bad. I hope others follow and drop their sponsorship as well. Full Moon, it's time.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 09:50 AM by KevMo4UAB.)
12-12-2014 09:50 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
I hate this. He's also kicking out the basketball coach's show. This is the type of thing Watts' almighty Carr report should have seen coming.
12-12-2014 09:59 AM
backyardblazer Offline
1st String

(12-12-2014 07:56 AM)BlazerFire Wrote:  Scarbo's take on Iron City's move…..

"He explained that he'd been in discussions with Mackin about helping to raise funds for a 400-meter track and track stadium for UAB with a state-of-the-art running surface."

So where is this "state of the art" track and field stadium going to be constructed? LET ME GUESS!!!!

Additionally – I was in track. A big proponent of it. But a track, stadium, etc will NEVER, EVER pay for itself. Not in 100 years.

But a track and stadium will prevent a football stadium from being built on the same site. Unless you tear down the track stadium and waste that investment. These guys are disgusting and not nearly as smart as they think they are.

This man wrote a check to pay for a "state of the art" track to be built at Vestavia High School, so he is serious. Losing Steve's support will be a huge blow to athletics. 03-nutkick
12-12-2014 10:08 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
(12-12-2014 09:59 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  I hate this. He's also kicking out the basketball coach's show. This is the type of thing Watts' almighty Carr report should have seen coming.

It (Carr report) saw what it was paid to see. They're on my "list", too.
12-12-2014 10:09 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(12-12-2014 07:56 AM)BlazerFire Wrote:  Scarbo's take on Iron City's move…..

The track was/is going over by the soccer field.
12-12-2014 10:12 AM
Advertisement

Blzer4Life Offline
Super Blazer Moderator

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I'd love to see Joe and David Maluff (Full Moon BBQ) to do the same and we'll REALLY start turning some heads. #justsayin
12-12-2014 10:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

I was expecting this, just not this soon. I was thinking the businesses would be more patient and resort to this when it was clear, in January, that Dr. Watts was moving slow on his resignation. That said, this is pretty effective and surely there is more to come. I hate that the basketball team is directly impacted, but we have to hit some bumps in the road if we want to get to where we want to go.

Next time I'll go to Iron City, I'll try to show my appreciation for taking a stand to the owner if he's not preoccupied.
12-12-2014 10:27 AM
Doktyr X Offline
1st String

I Root For: Science! (+UAB)
If any of the Watts PR robots are whining about the move, remind them that Watts recently freed up $18 million in the Athletics department. Replace it with that.
12-12-2014 10:37 AM
BlazerRob Offline
1st String

We need that list of sponsors so that we can start to call them. Actions like this are giving this story legs like this town has hasn't seen since the civil rights battles in the 1960's.
12-12-2014 10:39 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
This is exactly what Watts wants. He is not upset about this at all. It is a part of the plan to kill all athletics. We are playing right into his hands.
12-12-2014 10:42 AM
Advertisement

Bearded Dragon Offline
Bench Warmer

The Al.com comment board is lighting up like slot machine over this. I cant believe some of the idiotic statements made by Dr.Doolittle's support team.
12-12-2014 10:46 AM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-12-2014 10:42 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  This is exactly what Watts wants. He is not upset about this at all. It is a part of the plan to kill all athletics. We are playing right into his hands.

The way I see it we have 3 choices:

1) Do nothing and accept it which reinforces the apathy argument

2) Pour money into the remaining sports which just makes his assertion that football was a horrible mistake in the first place

3) Hurt him in the wallet at every turn. Not only in athletics but at every facet of the university.

I get it, you don't want anything to happen to basketball. Well neither do the rest of us. But at some point you have to be realistic about what you can do. It's a calculated risk but dang man at some point you've got to quit grabbing your ankles and do something.
12-12-2014 10:55 AM
Doktyr X Offline
1st String

I Root For: Science! (+UAB)
PR Robots are robots; they have no mind of their own. They will attack anything that hits the radar. Use this tendency against them.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 10:59 AM by Doktyr X.)
12-12-2014 10:56 AM
BlazerRob Offline
1st String

(12-12-2014 10:42 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  This is exactly what Watts wants. He is not upset about this at all. It is a part of the plan to kill all athletics. We are playing right into his hands.

This entire story has not gone the way Watts planned. I'm pretty sure that mass marches down University Boulevard, Videos of impassioned players and fans going viral, backlash and condemnation from the national sports media, threats on his life (how else does one explain the armed guards and bunker mentality?), a no confidence vote, being called a liar by several prominent UAB donors, the need for a PR firm to try and bring his image back from something now approaching Osama Bin Laden, to the now loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars in support from local businesses.

No I'm pretty sure that this is not going acording to the script that PBJ and the gang laid out for him.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 11:08 AM by BlazerRob.)
12-12-2014 11:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.