Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Reality of the "Final Four" wrt the Big12
mac6115cd Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
The Reality of the "Final Four" wrt the Big12
The only teams that will ever represent the Big12 in the Final Four are Texas and OU. If TCU and Baylor didn't make the cut this year (and they were every bit as good as O$U or FSU) then the writing's on the wall - if you're not a top national brand, you're not getting in.

Remember, it's all about money - ticket sales, TV viewers, merchandising and national interest - that drives the selection committee. The four that made it this year could be beat by the next four on any given Saturday - it's just that these four will make the most money.

The Big12 needs to add 2-4 more teams, make two divisions (Texas and OU in separate divisions), then "hope" Texas and OU play in the CCG each year.

That's the best strategy for the Big12. Bowlsby & co. need to accept reality and adjust to maximize Final Four inclusion.
12-10-2014 02:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
RE: The Reality of the "Final Four" wrt the Big12
If either TCU or Baylor were undefeated they would be in so...
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 04:48 PM by esayem.)
12-10-2014 04:47 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Florida State was undefeated so they had to be in.

You change that score of the Ohio State game to 35-28 and Baylor might have beat them.

Heck, TCU might have taken it regardless of the Ohio State result if Baylor had lost. The committee said TCU had been far enough ahead that head to head wasn't a deciding factor until the final week (which makes sense as before that Baylor's win vs. Kansas State, their overall schedule was much weaker and they didn't look as good against it). With them getting close enough for it to need to be a tie-breaker, TCU moved below Baylor.Remember though that before the last week, Ohio State was already ahead of Baylor. The bears were not moved ahead of the Buckeyes at any point in the last few weeks.

The Big 12 is fine. This was an unusual year, but if either was undefeated they'd have been in and there are plenty of circumstances that would have put them in even with the loss.
12-10-2014 05:14 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(12-10-2014 04:47 PM)esayem Wrote:  If either TCU or Baylor were undefeated they would be in so...

Yup....
12-10-2014 05:14 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
If they had a CCG and Baylor or TCU won, and finished 12-1 they might have gotten in over OSU.
12-10-2014 05:18 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
And if Florida St had lost to Ga Tech, or Alabama lost to a good SEC East team, or if the Big Ten west had been good, TCU or Baylor would have made it in.
12-10-2014 05:24 PM
JoeMing Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: football
Replacing tcu with Texas and Baylor with Oklahoma, do you think Osu would get in? Me don't think so.
12-10-2014 07:11 PM
RaiderRed Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5
(12-10-2014 02:05 PM)mac6115cd Wrote:  The only teams that will ever represent the Big12 in the Final Four are Texas and OU. If TCU and Baylor didn't make the cut this year (and they were every bit as good as O$U or FSU) then the writing's on the wall - if you're not a top national brand, you're not getting in.

Remember, it's all about money - ticket sales, TV viewers, merchandising and national interest - that drives the selection committee. The four that made it this year could be beat by the next four on any given Saturday - it's just that these four will make the most money.

The Big12 needs to add 2-4 more teams, make two divisions (Texas and OU in separate divisions), then "hope" Texas and OU play in the CCG each year.

That's the best strategy for the Big12. Bowlsby & co. need to accept reality and adjust to maximize Final Four inclusion.

This doesn't make any sense at all. On one hand you say only Texas/OU stand a chance at playoff and on the other state the Big 12 needs 2 more teams. Why?? Big 12 schools make a ton of money off TV revenue, most Big 12 schools sell out their stadiums, most Big 12 schools make a ton of money on their merchandise sales. So why add 2 more mouths to feed? A CCG only adds about $20 million $$$ and TV would have to pay us an additional $25-30 million in TV revenue so our current don't take a pay cut.

No sane Big 12 President or AD will sign up for that. The Big 12 will not expand to help the less fortunate just to have a CCG that will only net the conference an additional $20 mil.
12-10-2014 07:16 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(12-10-2014 07:16 PM)RaiderRed Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 02:05 PM)mac6115cd Wrote:  The only teams that will ever represent the Big12 in the Final Four are Texas and OU. If TCU and Baylor didn't make the cut this year (and they were every bit as good as O$U or FSU) then the writing's on the wall - if you're not a top national brand, you're not getting in.

This doesn't make any sense at all. On one hand you say only Texas/OU stand a chance at playoff and on the other state the Big 12 needs 2 more teams. Why?? Big 12 schools make a ton of money off TV revenue, most Big 12 schools sell out their stadiums, most Big 12 schools make a ton of money on their merchandise sales. So why add 2 more mouths to feed? A CCG only adds about $20 million $$$ and TV would have to pay us an additional $25-30 million in TV revenue so our current don't take a pay cut.

No sane Big 12 President or AD will sign up for that. The Big 12 will not expand to help the less fortunate just to have a CCG that will only net the conference an additional $20 mil.

This is perfectly sensible, but there are so many desperate, starving fans of G5 schools that there is no way you will convince anyone around here of that. 07-coffee3
12-10-2014 07:23 PM
Advertisement

RaiderRed Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5
(12-10-2014 07:23 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

This is perfectly sensible, but there are so many desperate, starving fans of G5 schools that there is no way you will convince anyone around here of that. 07-coffee3

I understand that but reality has to set in at some point. If UT/OU are the only schools that "stand" a chance at the playoff, why would the other 8 schools vote to have money taken away from them by adding 2 more schools that will never make the playoffs. Logic and reality are severely misplaced.

In 2008, Texas Tech was #2 in the country after beating #1 Texas and top 10 Oklahoma St. Had we beat OU in Norman, we would've played for the national championship. The same thing can happen again especially if Texas and OU get back to winning.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 07:31 PM by RaiderRed.)
12-10-2014 07:30 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
Even if Ohio State barely beat Wisconsin, I couldn't see the powers to be leaving out the big state schools with the ratings and the Saban-Meyer matchup. As Tony Kornheiser said on PTI: It is the first year of the CFP. Gotta sell it to the public and the Buckeyes sell.
12-10-2014 08:34 PM
mac6115cd Offline
1st String

(12-10-2014 08:34 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  Even if Ohio State barely beat Wisconsin, I couldn't see the powers to be leaving out the big state schools with the ratings and the Saban-Meyer matchup. As Tony Kornheiser said on PTI: It is the first year of the CFP. Gotta sell it to the public and the Buckeyes sell.

Correct and said better than my attempt.
12-11-2014 07:26 AM
mac6115cd Offline
1st String

(12-10-2014 04:47 PM)esayem Wrote:  If either TCU or Baylor were undefeated they would be in so...

Obviously; however, you're going to have more years with multiple 1-loss teams than those that are undefeated.

If you're saying that teams like TCU and Baylor have to go undefeated to have a chance, then the playoff needs to be expanded to 8 teams, because you'll always have those "brand name" schools in first.
12-11-2014 07:29 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
If Baylor or TCU was undefeated they would be in. If Tex or Olk had been in TCU's place they likely would have been in. The Champ game hurt, but was not the only factor. Ohio State was $$$ in the bank. and the playoff is all about making $$$.
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(12-10-2014 08:34 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  Even if Ohio State barely beat Wisconsin, I couldn't see the powers to be leaving out the big state schools with the ratings and the Saban-Meyer matchup. As Tony Kornheiser said on PTI: It is the first year of the CFP. Gotta sell it to the public and the Buckeyes sell.

Actually I thought that Ohio State only needed to win anyway...the overall resume between Baylor and Ohio State the Buckeyes had the advantage...the Baylor OOC Schedule is atrocious.
mac6115cd Offline
1st String

Granted that money is the only thing anyone cares about in the Big12, but not having that 13th game will alwayss hurt the Big12 even if they come up with some sort of tie-breaker (and then hope only 2 teams tie). A championship game is the easiest way to solve the problem.

Adding 2 teams will not dilute the distribution since the new teams could receive discounted portions initially.
12-11-2014 07:35 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
Yes! This is why I propose a Div 5 of just 16 national brand schools.
12-11-2014 07:38 AM
Advertisement

Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
Follow the money. That's why Ohio State got in.

Well that and Wisconsin taking a dive.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 09:41 AM by Big Frog II.)
12-11-2014 09:40 AM
Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
Every year is different and even somewhat random. Heck, if OU wins and you switch the AAC teams on the schedules so that SMU is 9-3 and Cincy is 1-11 and keep everything else exactly the same, Baylor might get in. OSU would have one less "quality" win and Baylor one more, and Baylor would have one more win over a bowl eligible team and OSU one less.

Those are the sort of things that gave OSU a boost at the end, along with an impressive eye test. We can't overgeneralize what happened in one year.
12-11-2014 10:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.