Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Are millennials too spoiled for the workplace?
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Quote:The economic recovery has not been kind to millennials. They make less money than previous generations did, they're more likely to be unemployed and they're burning through cash without saving much of it.

Now comes more evidence that the economic odds are stacked against them: Many corporate executives are making no effort to attract workers under age 35, a new survey says. One reason: Millennials are developing a reputation as workplace divas who need more handholding and who will bolt from jobs at the drop of a hat.

It's a tough row to hoe for a generation that should ideally be solidifying their careers, starting families and climbing the corporate ladder. But study after study shows that millennials have it harder than their parents did financially. They're coming of age in the workplace even as the economy continues to dig itself out of a Great Recession-sized hole -- and no one is making it easy for them.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/are-millenni...workplace/
12-10-2014 10:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
RE: Are millennials too spoiled for the workplace?
Useless degrees, picketing the amount you get paid, self entitlement, etc are all major problems for these people. Sure it's not all of them, but more so than ever before. But try telling them that and see what happens.
12-10-2014 10:26 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
There is a faction of millennials that are pursuing entrepreneurship, often of more traditional careers.

So it's hard to generalize here. But the ones who went to college and believe the world is all about their feelings are SOL.
12-10-2014 10:27 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(12-10-2014 10:27 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  There is a faction of millennials that are pursuing entrepreneurship, often of more traditional careers.

So it's hard to generalize here. But the ones who went to college and believe the world is all about their feelings are SOL.

Look at Columbia Law School, they're teaching these poor souls that the world is there for them when they need em. This is America, not Physician's Mutual.
12-10-2014 10:31 AM
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(12-10-2014 10:27 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  There is a faction of millennials that are pursuing entrepreneurship, often of more traditional careers.

The point of polls and statistics is generalization. It is a major social problem. Does it apply across the board? Of course not, but the overall numbers point to the wrong direction. Fact of the matter is, with middle class opportunities disappearing, there is very few places to go unless you are a blue blood, have entrepreneurial ideas, or exceptionally gifted, and even if you are the latter two, you need to have the correct attitude to mesh with American culture unless you are going to strike out as a tattoo artist or open a vape shop.
12-10-2014 10:37 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(12-10-2014 10:31 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  

Look at Columbia Law School, they're teaching these poor souls that the world is there for them when they need em. This is America, not Physician's Mutual.

Anyone that goes to law school at this point is hard to respect IMO. It is an over-saturated profession.

Every person I know that went to law school within the last 5 years is either unemployed or making terrible wages for the amount of debt they put themselves into to get their law degrees.

Law degrees simply aren't a near guarantee of high salaries like they used to be. You get crap wages, long hours, and terrible ***** work for years. If that doesn't burn you out after a few years, then the potential for a good salary will eventually come, but the thought of being absolutely miserable at work for years makes me want to 03-puke

I honestly don't think I've ever met a happy lawyer.
12-10-2014 10:40 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
We've got a millenial here that has action figures, yes Iron Man, Spider Man, etc lining the rim of his cube. He thinks nothing of it. Good guy, but seems a little immature.
12-10-2014 10:57 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I feel blessed, I have 3 kids, all under 35 with two still in their 20s. All have good jobs and appear to be doing well at them (all have been promoted more than once). Of course all were raised with the notion that there's no such thing as a free lunch and you'll get what you earn.

Funny how those lessons eventually bear fruit.
12-10-2014 11:17 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(12-10-2014 10:57 AM)VA49er Wrote:  We've got a millenial here that has action figures, yes Iron Man, Spider Man, etc lining the rim of his cube. He thinks nothing of it. Good guy, but seems a little immature.

Speaking of which, there is one here as well that has My Little Pony figurines all over his cubicle. He takes them home at night because he's afraid somebody will take them when he's not here. I shiit you not.
12-10-2014 11:17 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(12-10-2014 10:57 AM)VA49er Wrote:  We've got a millenial here that has action figures, yes Iron Man, Spider Man, etc lining the rim of his cube. He thinks nothing of it. Good guy, but seems a little immature.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Just what are you trying to say here?
12-10-2014 11:25 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
(12-10-2014 11:17 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  

Speaking of which, there is one here as well that has My Little Pony figurines all over his cubicle. He takes them home at night because he's afraid somebody will take them when he's not here. I shiit you not.

No way!!! The only thing I have up in my cubicle is my degree, my military coins and the Houston Texans' schedule
12-10-2014 11:26 AM
Advertisement

LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(12-10-2014 11:26 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  No way!!! The only thing I have up in my cubicle is my degree, my military coins and the Houston Texans' schedule

Yes way, I think he's flaming but I don't have proof... He's a chubby lad that talks with a British accent.
12-10-2014 11:29 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
(12-10-2014 11:29 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 11:26 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  No way!!! The only thing I have up in my cubicle is my degree, my military coins and the Houston Texans' schedule

Yes way, I think he's flaming but I don't have proof... He's a chubby lad that talks with a British accent.

Haha I wonder where he is from
12-10-2014 11:32 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(12-10-2014 11:32 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 11:29 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  

Haha I wonder where he is from

Who knows, I never gave enough of a turd to ask... lol. I'll get my GF to ask, she knows all the people in that department...
12-10-2014 11:33 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(12-10-2014 11:25 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Just what are you trying to say here?

Rut row, did I hit a nerve?

02-13-banana
12-10-2014 11:46 AM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
I have a stuffed pelican from Bacchus Float 18 on my desk. Other than that, not much else. I'm glad I am not in a cubicle.
12-10-2014 11:48 AM
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

Millennials are drawn to flashy type things and benefits. Think Google with all the "free stuff" type environment. They seem to have no understanding of saving or retirement. It is all about right now, fun, and being fulfilled.
12-10-2014 11:49 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(12-10-2014 11:49 AM)GrayBeard Wrote:  

Millennials are drawn to flashy type things and benefits. Think Google with all the "free stuff" type environment. They seem to have no understanding of saving or retirement. It is all about right now, fun, and being fulfilled.

Man you couldn't be more spot on... There are a few that stray from the bunch though. My GF, while possessing a couple Millennial ideals, has purchased her third car in her name, has over $30,000 in credit cards, none of which are even close to 50% utilization, has a 780 credit score, and saves money back every single week. She went with her mom to a car dealership because her mom asked her to go, and she (my GF) ended up buying a diamond white 2014 Buick Regal Tii turbo charged 4 cylinder, loaded out. $40,000 car. She used her Discover card for the down payment and hit the 50% utilization mark on it, they gave her $2500.00 more on it the next day.

She turned 22 in September.
12-10-2014 11:57 AM
BucFyre Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
I've been with the same company for almost 4 years, promoted once and up for 2 different promotions currently. Our benefits suck but I like the people I work with and I think our job is important. I've been frustrated about not moving up as quickly as I'd like and have definitely looked elsewhere but after being unemployed for 9 months when I first moved to Atlanta I'm not going anywhere until I have something air tight locked down.

As for savings, I have invested at 5% in our 401k plan which is matched and hopefully with this promotion I'll be able to contribute more. I'm down to $1200 in credit card debt and when my car crapped out back in June I bought a used car which has reasonable payments and a low interest rate. My big goal now is paying down my student loans although realistically I will die before they're paid off.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 12:00 PM by BucFyre.)
12-10-2014 11:58 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I manage a fair number of millennials, and once we weed out the people described in this article, they tend to be hard working and reliable. Not surprising, of course.

The hiring process does help keep out the obvious screwballs, but man, the weeding out process can be maddening. Just last week a millennial on her first day of work was between training classes and was in her cube with her head down on her desk. I went immediately and got a female manager to go check in on her to make sure she was OK; she was fine, just tired, and was resting.

Yes, it's true. A new hire in her first few days on the job in a white collar office thought it was perfectly appropriate to lay down at her desk for a nap.

(To her credit she has rebounded nicely and looks to be a good long term hire.)
12-10-2014 12:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.