The ACC #16 No-Way-Is-That-Gonna-Happen-But-I'll-Vote-Anyway Poll
12-09-2014 06:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

49erlew Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: The ACC #16 No-Way-Is-That-Gonna-Happen-But-I'll-Vote-Anyway Poll
Quote:On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being "I'd rather have ebola" and 10 being "I got a tingle"

I got more than a tingle...
12-09-2014 07:40 PM
freshtop Online
All American

I Root For: WKU
Prepare your form for the write in votes. I personally abstained, but I am not going to select any of the other programs the way it is worded. I am not a "fan" of any of them, but there are some that make more sense than others as far as joining the ACC is concerned.
12-09-2014 08:14 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
I cant even vote in it. The premise is flawed. Notre Dame is not Baylor or TCU. Notre Dame with an 11-1 record gets in. Sorry they don't need to fully join.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 10:21 PM by He1nousOne.)
12-09-2014 10:20 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
I'm still sorry that UMd left the ACC. Losing that sort of history is a tarnish on college sports.
12-09-2014 10:30 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Perhaps Maryland's old rivals within the conference shouldn't have shown that they didn't think Maryland was equal. Keeping their own yearly rivalries intact while at the same time not preserving that with Maryland? The ACC University mold was drifting further and further away from what Maryland is. It really shouldn't have surprised folks as much as it did.
12-10-2014 12:03 AM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
My choices:

1. PSU
2. Cincinnati
3. West Virginia
12-10-2014 12:29 AM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
(12-10-2014 12:03 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Perhaps Maryland's old rivals within the conference shouldn't have shown that they didn't think Maryland was equal. Keeping their own yearly rivalries intact while at the same time not preserving that with Maryland? The ACC University mold was drifting further and further away from what Maryland is. It really shouldn't have surprised folks as much as it did.
Maryland didn't have any football rivals in the ACC. The only rivalries Maryland enjoyed in the ACC were Carolina and Duke (Basketball) and UVA, Duke and Carolina (Lacrosse).

Maryland's football rival was West Virginia and, to a lessor extent, Navy.
12-10-2014 12:45 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(12-09-2014 10:20 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  I cant even vote in it. The premise is flawed. Notre Dame is not Baylor or TCU. Notre Dame with an 11-1 record gets in. Sorry they don't need to fully join.

I agree

If I was a Notre Dame fan I would take such caparison as an insult.

Thank goodness we don't have these programs with 11-1 records too

USC Trojans
Texas
Michigan
Oklahoma
Penn State
Nebraska
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 01:12 AM by BigHouston.)
12-10-2014 01:11 AM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
I think any AAC/Big-East team would take it of course -- and the 2 or 4 B12 jobs possibly to open up.

But given location for recruiting and television audience (and good BBall as an upper) -- B12 would probably only look at Cinci, Memphis, ECU, UCF (FL Market), NIU (Chicago market) being on the other side of the Mississippi river. I would say maybe Marshall, but they've only been good last 2 years, and you'd need more than that being real close to W Virginia who they already got and has that area covered.

Now, NAVY? I think the issue with that is Navy/AF/Army won't really get any better than Top5-G5 level on a standout year, even if bumped to P5 conference due to it being a military academy it not being as affected by that. Followers & recognition's great, though -- so maybe that'd be enough... but you basically are asking a Syracuse w/o an awesome basketball team to join, essentially -- but a good fanbase.

If B12 were to take Cinci & Memphis -- then ACC would these 3 main options, IMO:
- UCF (Florida St, Miami-FL, then add UCF?)
- ECU
- Navy

Most likely not:
- Marshall (ACC cares about Bball too much, and Marshall not 'proven' enough in football at This point)
- NIU (ACC cares about Bball too much, but they would get the Chicago market, but that'd require not being Atlantic Coast)
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 01:28 AM by toddjnsn.)
12-10-2014 01:25 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
1 Cincinnati
2 West Virginia
3 Texas
12-10-2014 06:25 AM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(12-10-2014 12:03 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Perhaps Maryland's old rivals within the conference shouldn't have shown that they didn't think Maryland was equal. Keeping their own yearly rivalries intact while at the same time not preserving that with Maryland? The ACC University mold was drifting further and further away from what Maryland is. It really shouldn't have surprised folks as much as it did.

That drift was going to happen even if UMD actually had a football rival in the ACC. The demographics of the student body, alumni and administration has been slowing drifting NE for the past 25 years. It's really no different than the situation with Colorado and how the Plains-centric B12 no longer held the Buffs focus.
12-10-2014 06:41 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
ND and UConn.
12-10-2014 06:48 AM
DrTorch Offline

(12-10-2014 12:45 AM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  
Maryland didn't have any football rivals in the ACC. The only rivalries Maryland enjoyed in the ACC were Carolina and Duke (Basketball) and UVA, Duke and Carolina (Lacrosse).

Now I know you know nothing about UMd.
12-10-2014 09:24 AM
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(12-09-2014 10:30 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  I'm still sorry that UMd left the ACC. Losing that sort of history is a tarnish on college sports.

The ACC killed that history when they started expanding. They should have stopped at Georgia Tech. I am right smack in the middle of ACC territory and the conference has become irrelevant regionally. A random basketball game between Wake Forest and UNC (both from a different state) could have been talked about locally for a week growing up. You had fans of all ACC schools. UVA fans and gear were everywhere. Now you see none of it and UVA is a top 10 team. In football, the ACC is completely irrelevant. Virginia and Virginia Tech gets some coverage and has some fans, but nobody gives a schit about any of the other ACC teams. There is more noise when Ole Miss is playing Vanderbilt than when NC State is playing Georgia Tech. I know the conferences are currently making more money now that they have become far flung, but it is ruining college sports IMO.
12-10-2014 09:40 AM
DrTorch Offline

(12-10-2014 09:40 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 10:30 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  I'm still sorry that UMd left the ACC. Losing that sort of history is a tarnish on college sports.

The ACC killed that history when they started expanding. They should have stopped at Georgia Tech.

I agree with that too.

No one cared about Syracuse v Wake Forest...in anything. And if Boston College vs U Coral Gables is your big game, then why not just call it the Big East?

Once again, if the Big 8 moves first and grabs Arkansas, then the SEC expands w/ Florida St. And the world is better for it.
12-10-2014 09:51 AM
Advertisement

EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
I will add that the separate conference (Big East) that included Miami, Virginia Tech, Pitt, BC, West Virginia, and Syracuse was much better as well. All those programs' football programs except WVU deteriorated once the ACC started raiding them. I'm interested to see if Syracuse basketball starts to fall apart as well. Regional conferences are best IMO.
12-10-2014 10:04 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Re: The ACC #16 No-Way-Is-That-Gonna-Happen-But-I'll-Vote-Anyway Poll
I am pleasantly surprised by Cincy strong showing. Go Bearcats!

North
Notre Dame
Louisville
Cincinnati
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Boston College
Miami
Virginia Tech

South
Florida St
Clemson
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
NC State
Duke
Wake Forest
Virginia

And I'm glad Maryland left. The ACC didn't make their athletic department go bankrupt.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 10:46 AM by Lenvillecards.)
12-10-2014 10:30 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Re: RE: The ACC #16 No-Way-Is-That-Gonna-Happen-But-I'll-Vote-Anyway Poll
(12-10-2014 09:40 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

The ACC killed that history when they started expanding. They should have stopped at Georgia Tech. I am right smack in the middle of ACC territory and the conference has become irrelevant regionally. A random basketball game between Wake Forest and UNC (both from a different state) could have been talked about locally for a week growing up. You had fans of all ACC schools. UVA fans and gear were everywhere. Now you see none of it and UVA is a top 10 team. In football, the ACC is completely irrelevant. Virginia and Virginia Tech gets some coverage and has some fans, but nobody gives a schit about any of the other ACC teams. There is more noise when Ole Miss is playing Vanderbilt than when NC State is playing Georgia Tech. I know the conferences are currently making more money now that they have become far flung, but it is ruining college sports IMO.

So much truth in this post. The old 8 and 9 team ACC was so much fun to watch and talk about. Round robin for all major sports and all the fans knew so much about the other teams. We'll never get that back unfortunately. Money grabbing expansion has ruined the passion that was there for a lot of folks locally, including myself.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 10:52 AM by blunderbuss.)
12-10-2014 10:48 AM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
(12-10-2014 09:24 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 12:45 AM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  

Now I know you know nothing about UMd.
You speak too soon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_Bowl_Classic
12-10-2014 10:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.