Fall 2013 acceptance rate

U.S. News rank and category

Stanford University (CA) 5.7% 4 (tie), National Universities
Harvard University (MA) 5.8% 2, National Universities
Columbia University (NY) 6.9% 4 (tie), National Universities
Yale University (CT) 6.9% 3, National Universities
Princeton University (NJ) 7.4% 1, National Universities
United States Naval Academy (MD) 7.4% 13, National Liberal Arts Colleges
Cooper Union (NY) 7.7% 2, Regional Colleges (North)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology 8.2% 7, National Universities
University of Chicago 8.8% 4 (tie), National Universities
United States Military Academy (NY) 9% 24 (tie), National Liberal Arts Colleges
12-09-2014 02:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: NMR- 10 colleges w/ lowest acceptance rates
Not much meaning to be derived. Those schools work overtime getting people to apply that have no chance of getting in. It's not that they aren't selective--they are--but if you weed out those who put in vanity applications, the numbers may be very different. For the top few, it's a cottage industry to churn out HS seniors to send last year.in those applications.

I have a daughter who is now a college freshman and got to see a lot of this first hand last year.
12-09-2014 02:57 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
Say you're hiring somebody, and you have two candidates fresh out of college. One went to a school that only lets a handful of students in but graduates everybody with no real challenge, and the other to a school that lets more students in but pushes them hard enough that only the best make it through. Which would you rather have?

I'm not saying that acceptance rate isn't an important metric, but on its own it doesn't mean very much.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 03:12 PM by uakronkid.)
12-09-2014 03:11 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(12-09-2014 02:57 PM)axeme Wrote:  Not much meaning to be derived. Those schools work overtime getting people to apply that have no chance of getting in. It's not that they aren't selective--they are--but if you weed out those who put in vanity applications, the numbers may be very different. For the top few, it's a cottage industry to churn out HS seniors to send last year.in those applications.

I have a daughter who is now a college freshman and got to see a lot of this first hand last year.

What's the payoff for the universities? Just the mantle of exclusivity?
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 03:19 PM by DrTorch.)
12-09-2014 03:19 PM
Advertisement

uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
(12-09-2014 03:19 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 02:57 PM)axeme Wrote:  Not much meaning to be derived. Those schools work overtime getting people to apply that have no chance of getting in. It's not that they aren't selective--they are--but if you weed out those who put in vanity applications, the numbers may be very different. For the top few, it's a cottage industry to churn out HS seniors to send last year.in those applications.

For some, yes. There are small, private universities out there that exist solely for attracting affluent individuals that want to feel special, and will pay handsomely for it including donations after graduation. They encourage high application rates just so they can have low acceptance numbers.

Ivy League schools and Stanford and others are "victims" of their own reputations. At this point it's a matter of momentum.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 03:27 PM by uakronkid.)
12-09-2014 03:26 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
NMR- 10 colleges w/ lowest acceptance rates

Absolutely. It's one of the key metrics in ranking the top schools.
12-09-2014 03:27 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(12-09-2014 03:27 PM)axeme Wrote:  

Absolutely. It's one of the key metrics in ranking the top schools.

So they recruit students to apply just so they can reject them. Wow, more evidence on the low state of the academy.

There are only 3 places I'd want my son to go to, and that's counting ASU's Honors college. Still time for him to develop further interests, but at this point most places would just be a waste of his time.
12-09-2014 04:27 PM
Okie Chippewa Offline
All American

I Root For: The MAC
I really feel sorry for those poor schools. If only they could raise enough money to hire some more professors and build some more dorms. Then they could improve upon those abominably low acceptance rates. Rimshot
12-09-2014 05:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.