UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Another Open Letter from a fan
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
Another Open Letter from a fan
From Momma Dawg

I keep telling myself that I am having a nightmare and when I awake, it will be over. But no, the very people who were entrusted to keep UAB on the path to greatness have once again shown their petty jealousy and single mindedness. Even, Mrs. Humphrey, ‘our trustee’, couldn’t be bothered to stand by her son on the field at Senior Day. Nothing short of a death would have kept me from my son’s side. Guess we know who butters her bread!

We have been supporters of UAB football since the beginning, when they started from nothing. They persevered against the opposing team as well as the Board of Trustees. The warm and fuzzy feeling of support from the BOT was never shown to football or any other athletic program at UAB. They say we can’t afford a program to play on a “National” level; that was just a smoke screen to their real meaning that they didn’t want us playing on any level!

The athletes at UAB not only are good at their preferred sport but at dealing with belonging to an academic governance system ( BOT) that treats you like a red headed stepchild.

As I’ve stood in the crowd watching our young men step off the bus at Legion Field, I’ve seen excitement, hope, and determination on their faces, wondering what the game will bring. But when they come on the field, they come as men with a mission and purpose to do their best and never give up. They fight to the last play, no matter what the outcome. How blessed we have been to be able to be part of these players’ and coaches’ lives. They are the type of men who will be the leaders of tomorrow.

Make no mistake, when having the rug pulled out from under them when they were doing exactly what they were told would preserve the program, they still had more backbone and integrity than the Trustees and President Watts would ever desire to have. Not only city and state, and now national attention has been brought to this travesty of injustice to placate a few, but has caused heartache and disillusionment to so many who dared to dream of a better day for UAB.
12-08-2014 01:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Doktyr X Offline
1st String

I Root For: Science! (+UAB)
RE: Another Open Letter from a fan
Powerful stuff!
12-08-2014 01:33 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
[Image: 6a00d83451f3f569e2017d42e8b18b970c-800wi.jpg]
12-08-2014 01:38 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(12-08-2014 01:24 PM)BlazrDawg Wrote:  From Momma Dawg
...this travesty of injustice to placate a few, but has caused heartache and disillusionment to so many who dared to dream of a better day for UAB.

Incredibly well put. Our biggest crime as UAB Blazers was to dare to dream of something better for our school and our city. We didn't know "our place". How dare we try to be something more than just a colony? How dare we try to dream our own dreams and strive to make them happen?

Don't think I'll ever look at this state the same way again. My heart will always be in Birmingham but Alabama doesn't feel like home anymore.
12-08-2014 01:48 PM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Very well stated and incredibly fair to our athletes. They deserved better consideration than their leaders in the school's administration provided. Unfortunately they found themselves foot soldiers in a battle where the "Generals" had absolute authority to decide their fate. Longfellow did not say it better in his "Charge of the Light Brigade". Our own "600" gave all they were asked to give, but their administration wasted their effort and sacrifices. Those administrator's shameful behavior will stain them forever.
12-08-2014 01:51 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
Yes! Beautifully done!
12-08-2014 01:55 PM
blazinrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB & Marlins
(12-08-2014 01:48 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  
...this travesty of injustice to placate a few, but has caused heartache and disillusionment to so many who dared to dream of a better day for UAB.

Incredibly well put. Our biggest crime as UAB Blazers was to dare to dream of something better for our school and our city. We didn't know "our place". How dare we try to be something more than just a colony? How dare we try to dream our own dreams and strive to make them happen?

Don't think I'll ever look at this state the same way again. My heart will always be in Birmingham but Alabama doesn't feel like home anymore.

I agree. I came home from the rally Tuesday after the announcemt from Twatts, and I literally sat on the couch and said to myself, "I have no reason to stay in Birmingham. The magic is gone." I've been looking for jobs out in California since.
12-09-2014 03:16 AM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(12-09-2014 03:16 AM)blazinrunner Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 01:48 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  

I agree. I came home from the rally Tuesday after the announcemt from Twatts, and I literally sat on the couch and said to myself, "I have no reason to stay in Birmingham. The magic is gone." I've been looking for jobs out in California since.

I lament the discontinuation of UAB football as well but there's still plenty of things that are great about Birmingham.
12-09-2014 03:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.