Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Chris Hawkins?
Bookmark and Share
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Chris Hawkins?
Was Hawkins dinged up tonight? I was hoping for a chance to see him get good minutes.
12-07-2014 06:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
RE: Chris Hawkins?
(12-07-2014 06:13 AM)holyterror Wrote:  Was Hawkins dinged up tonight? I was hoping for a chance to see him get good minutes.

I think he's on the outside of the rotation as its getting set for conference play.
12-07-2014 08:30 AM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

I think he's also injury prone. If McDowell played and Chris didn't, maybe he's hurt.
12-07-2014 09:04 AM
idroot4russia Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Maybe he has inflamed tendons.
12-07-2014 10:12 AM
Advertisement

memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Can this Dude Ball?
12-07-2014 10:19 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
Concussion ?
12-07-2014 10:24 AM
Antonio5fan Offline
All American

I Root For: MemphisTigers
He sort of reminds me of Jeff Robinson and might be same result if Josh isn't going to play him. But, there could be a good reason.
12-07-2014 11:57 AM
Advertisement

MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
(12-07-2014 11:57 AM)Antonio5fan Wrote:  He sort of reminds me of Jeff Robinson and might be same result if Josh isn't going to play him. But, there could be a good reason.

There are already too many guys vying for minutes at the 3 and 4 now even without Hawkins. Unless he develops a .500 3pt stroke in a hurry, he's a mop up guy at this point.
12-07-2014 02:12 PM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

Outside lookin' in
12-07-2014 05:44 PM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
Pushed out
12-07-2014 05:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

idroot4russia Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I wonder what his standing reach and wingspan are and if he is strong enough to maybe take some minutes from Godfrey as a backup at the 5.

Anthony Douglas was only 6'6, but he had long arms and was built like an ox.

It's just gonna get more crowded next year at the 3 and 4 with the Lawsons comming in, but with Godfrey gone we will be thin at the 5.
12-07-2014 11:20 PM
passat25 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Hawkins is a lot better than Godfrey... He is awful.
12-08-2014 12:33 AM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
Since we have so many new guys, I kept preseason notes and quotes on these guys.

I sure don't know his best position with this roster, but personally, I would like to see him play more.

FWIW, here is what others had to say about Hawkins:

CHRIS HAWKINS
6-5, 245 pound bruiser Southwest Tennessee Community College- .

I'm blown away at how good he could be. Athletic as hell, can get any shot, at any time. Strong, plays bigger than his size. Gets to the rim. Doesn't shy away from contact.
Could work on the outside jump shot and needs to improve his ball handling skills.

Chris isn't big enough to play a true 4. I think the power 3 that Jason termed will fit him best. Chris is too athletic to put on the block and lose him there.

“Memphis is getting a kid [Hawkins] that they are probably not even going to know what is coming," said Southwest coach Jerry Nichols. "He presents mismatch problems for everybody, and he’s a freak of nature. He can jump out of the gym. Memphis doesn’t have a player like him. I know this for a fact. I’ve seen him play at full strength, and I promise you that they don’t know what they are getting. That’s how scary he is.”

Hawkins might be the biggest wildcard on the roster, but given his motor and athletic ability, it's hard to envision him not seeing time at the U of M.

played with him a few times and was amazed at his size, power and speed... the guy reminds me of Larry Johnson

He's very talented. He'll help in the backcourt also, that's why his coach said freak & nothing like. He does everything on the court.

Much different player than Geron. Much different. He's a power player with a decent outside shot. The player, to me at least, that he compares to is Anthony Tolbert from back in the early 90s. Undersized power player. Hawkins is at least 6-5 (he says he's 6-6) not that that matters too much and weighs a STRONG 245.

If you aren't familiar with Tolbert, just think of Sylvester Gray. Hawkins compares more to him than Geron.

Just for the record, Dorsey measured 6'6 3/4" at the NBA draft camp. With shoes

He's a big guy. Looks like the kind of thumper we have been missing, even if he is a bit short of the prototype forward. You get the best players you can though, not just the tallest. He can really ball and he is not a kid.

70% from the floor last year [0-2 from 3 pt line-only played 14-15 games]

Personal opinion after seeing him play, live, several times. He's a guy who dominated the paint at the jc level with strength, hops and athletic ability. Gets to the rim at will at that level. Can shoot from the outside and has great form and lift from out there. That's just a bonus though as he is a strong, strong post player. He's an extremely explosive guy at 245-250 lbs. Don't know that we've had anyone similar in a while. Maybe Sylvester but this kid is a bit more polished. Sylvester was strictly a 4, IMO and one of the most gifted athletes ever here.

He is 21 years old. Pretty much the bones have capped off at that age and have stopped growing. He is listed as 6'4" to 6'6" depending on which source you decide is correct, and 240/245 lbs. Hard to imagine a NBA team wanting a player so undersized. He is aggressive on defense, he rebounds like he is much taller, he has quick feet, and he is very strong. He jumps like a cat so his weight is not a concern. Decent shooter, but his real game is going hard to the bucket. The only things he needs to work on to make the transition to D1 is to work on posting up and conditioning

Seen the young man play multiple times now. His game reminds me a little of PJ Tucker from Texas years back. More of a "power" 3 with a tremendous mid range game. He seems to have a knack for being in the right places at the right time. Great rebounder and leaper (quick second hops).

I don't know how much he plays the 3, 4, etc. All I know is he's a helluva player that you want out on the floor. He's 6-5 at best so he'll have to improve on ball handling and outside shooting. However, he's certain to bring toughness which has been lacking a little the last few years. He'd be perfect for Cincy had he not committed to us.
12-08-2014 09:59 AM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
Who in the heck is Anthony Tolbert ?
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 10:09 AM by Brother Bluto.)
12-08-2014 10:01 AM
TigerSeth Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Hawkins seems like a man without a position.
12-08-2014 10:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.