Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

OT: Need advice from Memphis fans
Bookmark and Share
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
OT: Need advice from Memphis fans
Guys, I should be making my first trip down to your city in a couple weeks. Do you have any suggestions for hotels/restaurants that a fan coming down to watch the Liberty Bowl should look into? Thanks

Jackson
12-06-2014 03:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
RE: OT: Need advice from Memphis fans
I realize that some of my Memphian brothers and sisters may bash me for some of my suggestions.
Whenever I go home to visit Memphis...I usually stay in a Motel 6 in West Memphis, Arkansas right across the bridge. Rooms were pretty reasonable...between $39 & $59 for two people for a night.
There are also hotels out by the airport that used to have rooms for like $39 a night. (Dunno if that is still the price range or not. It has been awhile since I got to go back home and visit for any length of time)

As for restaurants....it all depends on what you are into.
If you like Italian...there's a little place on 645 North McLean called Dino's. Try their spinach...it is to die for.
I think you'll get the most hits or responses when you start asking about Bar-B-Que.
Places to try would be Central Bar-B-Que 2249 Central Avenue, The Rendezvous (Downtown) (assuming you like to pay through the nose a bit), or my personal favorite The Bar-B-Que Shop, located at 1782 Madison Ave.
Corky's would be another good choice.
As for sights to see....The Peabody Ducks at The Peabody Hotel, Sun Studio (Downtown) where a BUNCH of rock-n-roll artists got their start (including Elvis), Graceland of course, The National Civil Rights Museum, or the Hard Rock Cafe (also Downtown)
12-06-2014 04:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
Get a slab of ribs at the Corner Cafe' on Beale, and after dinner, walk around Beale Street and look at all the crazy people. That's a night of entertainment right there.
12-06-2014 04:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
klg316 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
If you're not worried about hotel price, stay at either the Peabody, Westin, or Madison downtown.
12-06-2014 04:31 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Donators
(12-06-2014 04:31 PM)klg316 Wrote:  If you're not worried about hotel price, stay at either the Peabody, Westin, or Madison downtown.

The Residence Inn on Monroe is cheaper than those but also in a great location like those above. My choice whenever I come home to visit.
12-06-2014 04:36 PM
OneShiningMoment Away
MT.org's Smartass and Dumbass

I Root For: OnCampusStadium

Donators
maybe this old thread from earlier this year for the AAC basketball tournament may help:

http://csnbbs.com/thread-680258.html

however, I would double check since something may have changed about any of the places like change of ownership/name, closed, , moved to a new location, etc. And new places like Elwood may not be in the thread. Not to mention the Downtown trolley still is not back in service
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 04:55 PM by OneShiningMoment.)
12-06-2014 04:42 PM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
Overton Square is a good place to hang out.
12-06-2014 05:45 PM
Chi-TownTiger Offline
Got Stripes?

Donators
Overton Square is still there. Awesome. Sorta like Rush St in Chi.
12-06-2014 06:46 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(12-06-2014 06:46 PM)Chi-TownTiger Wrote:  Overton Square is still there. Awesome. Sorta like Rush St in Chi.

Its been revitalized in the last year. Like the old days almost. A lot safer option at the moment imo.
12-06-2014 06:52 PM
Chi-TownTiger Offline
Got Stripes?

Donators
(12-06-2014 06:52 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 06:46 PM)Chi-TownTiger Wrote:  Overton Square is still there. Awesome. Sorta like Rush St in Chi.

Its been revitalized in the last year. Like the old days almost. A lot safer option at the moment imo.

I used to love it there.
12-06-2014 06:56 PM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
The restraunt scene has exploded here recently - and no not just bbq. Tons of options - Rizzos for unique food, acre, elegant farmer (now called farmer) - they have a beef tenderloin that is cold smoked in central bbq's smoker and then cooked at elegant farmer - it is AMAZING, second line, iris if by some miracle you get in, bounty on broad, the list goes on and on.

Skip rendezvous unless you just want to go for the sausage and cheese plate and atmosphere. Blues city on beale has good wet ribs, the bbq shop on Madison has a great pulled pork sandwhich and amazing BBQ nachos, central has good BBQ nachos, a decent BBQ sandwhich, and very good wings, cozy corner has good Q.

Evelyn and olive for amazing Cuban. I can keep going on and on...

I work out a lot to stay skinny.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 07:03 PM by tiger2000.)
12-06-2014 07:02 PM
Advertisement

Chi-TownTiger Offline
Got Stripes?

Donators
(12-06-2014 07:02 PM)tiger2000 Wrote:  The restraunt scene has exploded here recently - and no not just bbq. Tons of options - Rizzos for unique food, acre, elegant farmer (now called farmer) - they have a beef tenderloin that is cold smoked in central bbq's smoker and then cooked at elegant farmer - it is AMAZING, second line, iris if by some miracle you get in, bounty on broad, the list goes on and on.

Skip rendezvous unless you just want to go for the sausage and cheese plate and atmosphere. Blues city on beale has good wet ribs, the bbq shop on Madison has a great pulled pork sandwhich and amazing BBQ nachos, central has good BBQ nachos, a decent BBQ sandwhich, and very good wings, cozy corner has good Q.

Funny you should mention Cuban. My kids got me going to a terrific Cuban restaurant here in Las Vegas. Excellent food. Got to have a couple of Mojitos. UMMMMM good!

Cubans sure know how to make you feel at home.
12-06-2014 07:12 PM
downsouth Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tiger Football
(12-06-2014 07:12 PM)Chi-TownTiger Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 07:02 PM)tiger2000 Wrote:  The restraunt scene has exploded here recently - and no not just bbq. Tons of options - Rizzos for unique food, acre, elegant farmer (now called farmer) - they have a beef tenderloin that is cold smoked in central bbq's smoker and then cooked at elegant farmer - it is AMAZING, second line, iris if by some miracle you get in, bounty on broad, the list goes on and on.

Funny you should mention Cuban. My kids got me going to a terrific Cuban restaurant here in Las Vegas. Excellent food. Got to have a couple of Mojitos. UMMMMM good!

As do most smart people when you're giving them money...
12-06-2014 07:14 PM
Chi-TownTiger Offline
Got Stripes?

Donators
(12-06-2014 07:14 PM)downsouth Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 07:12 PM)Chi-TownTiger Wrote:  

As do most smart people when you're giving them money...

As most people who appreciate your business and don't take anything for granted from a third world country. The complete opposite of minorities in our country who've been conditioned to think because they're minorities it's owed to them you mean. Right?
12-06-2014 07:35 PM
Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-06-2014 06:56 PM)Chi-TownTiger Wrote:  

I used to love it there.

HAHA....me too. Met my x-husband there.
12-06-2014 07:51 PM
Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

04-bow
12-06-2014 07:53 PM
Advertisement

daonepro Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(12-06-2014 07:51 PM)Tanyaskees Wrote:  

I used to love it there.

I thought we agreed not to talk about each other
12-06-2014 07:55 PM
Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-06-2014 07:55 PM)daonepro Wrote:  

I used to love it there.

Password?
12-06-2014 07:55 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I used to love it there.

Reopened Lafayettes. Local is good so is Bar Louie. Haven't been to Babalu yet but I hear it's good too
12-06-2014 07:57 PM
daonepro Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(12-06-2014 07:55 PM)Tanyaskees Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 07:55 PM)daonepro Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 06:52 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  Its been revitalized in the last year. Like the old days almost. A lot safer option at the moment imo.

I used to love it there.

Password?

Burt Reynold's mustache?
12-06-2014 08:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.