UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

(Opinion)C-USA likely to boot UAB and invite South Alabama
Island Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UAB
That is my guess. Why not? Makes perfect sense. There would likely be no opposition from other C-USA members, like La Tech opposing UL-Lafayette. How is that going to make UAB and Birmingham stomachs feel?

The A-10 has 14. Why would they go to 15 and send teams as far south as Birmingham? The MVC has 10. Why would they go to 11 and send teams as far south as Birmingham? The CAA has 10. Why would they go to 11 and send teams as far south as Birmingham.

The sound of music emanating from the Atlantic Sun Conference: Welcome To My World. It is critical that all who care about UAB understand what the delusional Mr. Watts has possibly, probably, done to UAB.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 11:05 PM by blazerjay.)
12-05-2014 06:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

usmgh Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: G5
RE: C-USA likely to boot UAB and invite South Alabama
USM will try to block South Alabama.

They delusionally attempt to claim the Mobile TV market.
12-05-2014 06:23 PM
sadolakced Offline
Special Teams

(12-05-2014 06:23 PM)usmgh Wrote:  USM will try to block South Alabama.

They delusionally attempt to claim the Mobile TV market.

They actually do have southern miss fans there. I have a friend who's mom sells college sports logos (tervis tumblers, etc), and she sells more southern miss than UAB or South for sure.
12-05-2014 06:24 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Title in thread is misleading.
12-05-2014 06:37 PM
Island Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: (Opinion)C-USA likely to boot UAB and invite South Alabama
Conference USA has by-laws. If they ignore those by-laws and allow UAB to stay they open the door for any other member institution to drop football and stay or face a very costly lawsuit. The lawyers are going to tell them you must boot UAB if you wish to continue being a FBS football conference. Okay, what better candidate to replace UAB than USA? Keeping Conference USA in the State of Alabama and likely not rubbing any existing member the wrong way with in-state issues. Put two and two together. Something the delusional Mr. Watts finds very difficult to do.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 07:02 AM by Island Blazer.)
12-06-2014 06:58 AM
KSUBlazer Offline
Special Teams

If they look at it solely from television opportunities, I suspect they'll run next door to Atlanta and try to grab Georgia State. They have the support of the faculty, but they don't have sufficient facilities or fan support yet. The only reason I think this is really a possibility is because GSU fits squarely in the demographics that C-USA loves.

Edit - this is assuming Wreck-It Ray (to borrow from the Facebook group) doesn't get sh*tcanned in the next few days and someone with a brain and a spine replaces him.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 07:26 AM by KSUBlazer.)
12-06-2014 07:24 AM
Advertisement

UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Member school presidents may opt to not add another school, as this would increase the share of revenue from the bowls & playoff... remember there was a cap put in place on the payout to conferences during the postseason restructuring at either 12 or 13 teams (can't remember which).

If they do add a school, it will be from a much larger media market than Mobile... C-USA needs that for the next round of tv contract negotiations.

JMU, GA St, or another Texas school seem to be the logical choices.
12-06-2014 08:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

I Root For: The Real GSU
JMU? Ga St? TV markets yes but I can't see that happening. JMO.
12-06-2014 08:25 AM
Island Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

Excuse me for pushing this to the front. Yet I think it is critical for a trending University of South Alabama over UAB to be recognized in all regards by University and City constituents.
12-08-2014 01:25 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
South Alabama probably has zero chance of being put into C-USA unless a major alignment happens that takes Southern Miss out of the conference.
12-08-2014 01:38 PM
HellBlazer Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB!
Arkansas St will replace us...mark it down
12-08-2014 01:58 PM
Advertisement

BlazerRob Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Blazers
Talk over in Atlanta is that Ga State is going to get a remodeled and reconfigured Turner Field for their Football program.
12-08-2014 02:15 PM
ODUwildman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SCSU
Only reason to add Georgia State other than the market is for a W on the football schedule for the remaining CUSA teams.
12-08-2014 09:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(12-08-2014 01:58 PM)HellBlazer Wrote:  Arkansas St will replace us...mark it down

Its not us. Not enough support amongst boosters and administration to make up the costs associated with moving. (At current giving rates it would take 6-8 years to make up the expenses) Unless Boosters promise donation increases for changing leagues, we wont be making a move.

Plus our head coach very publicly reminded everyone that CUSA has a 12-1 team and isn't making access.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 10:04 PM by chiefsfan.)
12-08-2014 10:02 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(12-08-2014 02:15 PM)BlazerRob Wrote:  Talk over in Atlanta is that Ga State is going to get a remodeled and reconfigured Turner Field for their Football program.

More than talk. Only hold up is Braves making their exit date official.
12-10-2014 07:38 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I think if we lose football for a while we stay in C-USA and they add one football only school. When we bring it back they add one more team and go to 16 or by that time a couple of teams get poached.
12-10-2014 10:32 AM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
I'd be very surprised if a bid came our way. Our market is smaller than Texas State's or Georgia State's. We really don't expand the CUSA footprint, nor do we solve a travel problem like NMSU does. We're a new program with real, but not very high fan support at this point. We haven't won 8+ games the last 4 years like Arkansas State and ULL. We don't have an OCS, nor is there any immediate plan to build one.

Remember, USA's peers aren't Texas State or Georgia Southern or App, but Georgia State, ODU, UNCC, and UTSA. We're the smallest school in the smallest metro to try this and I think were doing fine in comparison to our 'instant FBS' peers.

But we know where we are and where we aren't. Could we compete in CUSA? Sure. Could we provide value to CUSA? Sure. Are we getting a bid? Probably not. And that's okay for both of us. One other advantage...it solidifies CUSA's middle geographically. It looks like CUSA is splitting into a Western and Eastern camp. A split could happen at some point. A minor point, but its there.

That being said, if a bid came, I'm sure it would be looked at. But USA's FBS plan was never predicated on being anywhere but the Sun Belt. We'll be fine, regardless of whether we're playing in the G5 Sun Belt or the G5 CUSA. We're the youngest program in history to make a bowl game. We're credible as an FBS team. Fan support is real, at a level sufficient to sustain the program, and is growing.

Quite frankly, I don't see why CUSA takes anyone at this point. Here are the candidates:

1) NMSU - solves a problem for the CUSA schools by allowing them two games on one road trip to El Paso. But what happens if the MWC gets raided and UTEP bolts back to the MWC? You're stuck with an outlier in NM. Good basketball, but the football?....yipes.

2) ULL - Good football, good fan support, good baseball, good basketball, good facilities. Desperate to leave the Belt and join CUSA. Only question is what La Tech wants to do with them

3) Texas State - Great facilities, credible football product, huge enrollment, growing metro. But Texas State gets smothered by UT in its own metro. Also would UNT, Rice, and UTSA want another team in the Texas Triangle?

4) Georgia State - Bring a market (that they don't deliver - but the cable companies don't care about that) and little else. Would cause division issues.

5) Ark State - Good football, good fan support, decent facilities, and close to a major and unrepresented major market. Traditional rivals in the region. Do they really want to go? Also, there's a division issue to look at as well as Ark State wouldn't be in the division with its traditional rivals.

6) USA - Decent football, awful facilities, decent fan support, reasonably good fan support, good baseball, and historically good basketball. USM might not like them in the hood. Would have no problem being in the West.

7) JMU - Good facilities, FCS moveup, no market claim. Would cause divisional problems for the conference.

8) UMass (football only) - Huge outlier but allows CUSA to kick the can down the road a bit and see how things shake out. By the way, if you're UAB, I would think that you would want UMass on a temporary (like the Sun Belt's deal with Idaho) basis as a football only because that could keep you in the conference for Olympic sports.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 12:12 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
12-10-2014 11:55 AM
HSV_BLAZER Offline
Heisman

I Root For: #fireraywatts
(12-10-2014 10:32 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I think if we lose football for a while we stay in C-USA and they add one football only school. When we bring it back they add one more team and go to 16 or by that time a couple of teams get poached.

UMass is looking for a FB only invite to a conference since the MAC is kicking them out. They might not bring much to the table, but they would balance the conference out for a while if this is perceived as temporary.
12-10-2014 12:01 PM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Carr Sports is UMass' consultant for their move to FBS... talk about opening up another can of worms if UMass gets a C-USA invite.
12-10-2014 12:09 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(12-10-2014 12:09 PM)UABslant Wrote:  Carr Sports is UMass' consultant for their move to FBS... talk about opening up another can of worms if UMass gets a C-USA invite.

Carr sports is also JMU's consultant. And Liberty's. They're the go to guys for 'get me some backup for the decision we've already made'.
12-10-2014 12:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.