Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Our Value To The Big 12
Bookmark and Share
Stammers Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Our Value To The Big 12
If Bama is playing Auburn, everyone is going to watch that game. If we are playing Texas or Oklahoma; there are a lot of tv sets in the region, (Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky, Missouri) that will watch our game instead of Vandy at Ole Piss, or MSU at Kentucky.
12-05-2014 08:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

RE: Our Value To The Big 12
Geographically, we make too much sense for the Big XII. But UCF has maybe four or five times the population that we have within a hundred mile radius, Cincy has more people, more money, and closer proximity to WVU, houston has a large market and history, BYU is BYU, and Tulane could bring academic prestige and an $EC market as well.

It is take a massive sales job by the University and the business community to overcome the obstacles to us getting into the Big XII.
12-05-2014 08:33 AM
Stammers Online
Legend

(12-05-2014 08:33 AM)Latilleon Wrote:  Geographically, we make too much sense for the Big XII. But UCF has maybe four or five times the population that we have within a hundred mile radius, Cincy has more people, more money, and closer proximity to WVU, houston has a large market and history, BYU is BYU, and Tulane could bring academic prestige and an $EC market as well.

It is take a massive sales job by the University and the business community to overcome the obstacles to us getting into the Big XII.

Within 100 miles of UCF you have the Bucs, Magic, Rays, Lightning and UF. WVU is 900 miles away. The next closest school is 1,100 miles away, so it makes no sense.

Cincy is a logical choice. Houston has a historically crappy athletic program and the market is overrun by the Texans, Astros, Rockets, and UT. Tulane isn't going to happen for a dozen reasons.

What I said applies 100%. Our games against good competition would generate interest in all surrounding states.
12-05-2014 08:43 AM
Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
Ucf is way too far away
12-05-2014 09:13 AM
memphomike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mempho
SEC backyard is finally becoming a good thing for us it appears.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 09:35 AM by memphomike.)
12-05-2014 09:34 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

Don't forget that Memphis is the #3 rated ESPN college market. Great recruiting. Untapped market for the Big 12 product in both respects.
12-05-2014 09:36 AM
Advertisement

Stammers Online
Legend

(12-05-2014 09:34 AM)memphomike Wrote:  SEC backyard is finally becoming a good thing for us it appears.

I would think so. Missouri and TAM made really nice transitions. Our program isn't at that level, and it will be almost impossible to be as successful as TCU, but the first two show the positive impact and TCU shows that it can be done.

There are a lot of great $EC matchups, but also quite a few that don't have that much appeal.
12-05-2014 09:47 AM
Stammers Online
Legend

(12-05-2014 09:36 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Don't forget that Memphis is the #3 rated ESPN college market. Great recruiting. Untapped market for the Big 12 product in both respects.

The Kansas City and Denver pro franchises have a regional footprint in surrounding states. I don't think that the Titans or the Saints do. Maybe the Falcons do to an extent. From the link that someone had up last week; many of the top college tv markets are in $EC country. The only one that isn't is Memphis.
12-05-2014 09:50 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
It doesn't hurt, but I'm not so sure that it helps as much as some of us would like to believe. It certainly didn't help when were getting passed over before.
12-05-2014 09:58 AM
Stammers Online
Legend

(12-05-2014 09:58 AM)3601 Wrote:  It doesn't hurt, but I'm not so sure that it helps as much as some of us would like to believe. It certainly didn't help when were getting passed over before.

First, when it was happening the first two rounds, I was told by certain people that RC was a non factor, and that he didn't matter. Fred Smith was doing all the talking. This didn't make sense to me. What conference is going to seriously consider a school that won't even let its AD take part in negotiations? What conference would consider a school whose AD was a bumbling idiot?

Second, it isn't the winning per se, but the leadership that we have now makes a huge difference. When the Big 12 talks to our AD and president they are dealing with Bowen and Martin, and now Rudd. That is obviously a major step up from Raines and RC.

Third, the facilities have improved a great deal from the first round; when basically nothing was being done; thank you RC.

Last but not least, the winning does matter at least a little bit.
12-05-2014 10:03 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
Geographically we are the 'return fire' on the SEC for TAMU.

We have a great airport.

Before TW we had flailed around in the football wilderness for decades. Now, with Fuente we have had TWO successful coaches within a single decade (think about that).

Basketball has a long and storied history.

Academically we are making great strides.

We have Fed Ex and Auto Zone as boosters.

Out facilities are miles ahead of where they were 10 years ago and the commitment to continued building is there.

We have a fan base that reaches into Canada.
12-05-2014 10:05 AM
Advertisement

ChapelHillTiger Offline
2nd String

Pressident Rudd is quite impressive. He is the force that got Utah into the PAC 12

(12-05-2014 09:50 AM)Stammers Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 09:36 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Don't forget that Memphis is the #3 rated ESPN college market. Great recruiting. Untapped market for the Big 12 product in both respects.

The Kansas City and Denver pro franchises have a regional footprint in surrounding states. I don't think that the Titans or the Saints do. Maybe the Falcons do to an extent. From the link that someone had up last week; many of the top college tv markets are in $EC country. The only one that isn't is Memphis.
12-05-2014 10:25 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
(12-05-2014 10:03 AM)Stammers Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 09:58 AM)3601 Wrote:  It doesn't hurt, but I'm not so sure that it helps as much as some of us would like to believe. It certainly didn't help when were getting passed over before.

First, when it was happening the first two rounds, I was told by certain people that RC was a non factor, and that he didn't matter. Fred Smith was doing all the talking. This didn't make sense to me. What conference is going to seriously consider a school that won't even let its AD take part in negotiations? What conference would consider a school whose AD was a bumbling idiot?

Second, it isn't the winning per se, but the leadership that we have now makes a huge difference. When the Big 12 talks to our AD and president they are dealing with Bowen and Martin, and now Rudd. That is obviously a major step up from Raines and RC.

Third, the facilities have improved a great deal from the first round; when basically nothing was being done; thank you RC.

Last but not least, the winning does matter at least a little bit.

I agree that winning matters more than a little bit. I said that last time around and one of the "good posters" claimed that it wasn't a major factor.

I'm talking about the TV market thing. It doesn't hurt, but I'm not sure it helps as much as we'd like for it to help.
12-05-2014 10:29 AM
Mtyler Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Our Value To The Big 12
(12-05-2014 08:33 AM)Latilleon Wrote:  Geographically, we make too much sense for the Big XII. But UCF has maybe four or five times the population that we have within a hundred mile radius, Cincy has more people, more money, and closer proximity to WVU, houston has a large market and history, BYU is BYU, and Tulane could bring academic prestige and an $EC market as well.

I will still not believe any of this until it happens, but the imminent changes to how people get content via streaming or al a carte avenues is going to make conferences rethink how they choose teams. The idea will probably shift more from raw population numbers to actual interest within that population. With the current cable setup all that matters is the total number of cable households. In the future it will be more about "how many people will subscribe to a network in a certain area to watch team A or B". The BIG may regret their add of Rutgers once the new reality sets in. In the case of the big 12 it may simply just be a need to get to 12 and bridge the gap between the conference members and WV. I think Memphis and cincinatti make just as much sense as anyone that would take the offer.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 10:38 AM by Mtyler.)
12-05-2014 10:35 AM
ReynaFan Offline
Special Teams

(12-05-2014 08:26 AM)Stammers Wrote:  If Bama is playing Auburn, everyone is going to watch that game. If we are playing Texas or Oklahoma; there are a lot of tv sets in the region, (Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky, Missouri) that will watch our game instead of Vandy at Ole Piss, or MSU at Kentucky.

I'm trying to envision the guy this is true for. Most people in the region you name are SEC fans. Joe SEC grew up in one of those states. He went to (pick any school other than Vandy, Ole Miss, MSU, or Kentucky)....let's say Florida. The 11:00 time slot has two games: Memphis vs Texas and either example SEC game listed. I think Joe SEC watches the SEC game. Not sure about the % of people in our region who are not SEC people, but maybe a guy from Chicago went to Notre Dame and now lives in Alabama. I think he doesn't watch either game and does his Saturday "honey-do's" until the games he wants to watch (Norte Dame or possibly B1g) come on. Is there a different profile with a critical mass in our region that I don't see?
12-05-2014 10:44 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

We've been here many times before. Nothing is happening anytime soon. Nothing has changed to force the B12 to make a move. Unless some other conference makes a move, nothing is going to happen now.
12-05-2014 10:44 AM
Advertisement

Stammers Online
Legend

(12-05-2014 10:35 AM)Mtyler Wrote:  

I will still not believe any of this until it happens, but the imminent changes to how people get content via streaming or al a carte avenues is going to make conferences rethink how they choose teams. The idea will probably shift more from raw population numbers to actual interest within that population. With the current cable setup all that matters is the total number of cable households. In the future it will be more about "how many people will subscribe to a network in a certain area to watch team A or B". The BIG may regret their add of Rutgers once the new reality sets in. In the case of the big 12 it may simply just be a need to get to 12 and bridge the gap between the conference members and WV. I think Memphis and cincinatti make just as much sense as anyone that would take the offer.

With Rutgers, Maryland and hopefully Memphis; it does make a difference. The networks can now charge all cable subscribers in each state a bundled fee to have the network included.
12-05-2014 10:47 AM
anothertigerfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: T.I.G.E.R.S
(12-05-2014 10:44 AM)Claw Wrote:  We've been here many times before. Nothing is happening anytime soon. Nothing has changed to force the B12 to make a move. Unless some other conference makes a move, nothing is going to happen now.

Link?
12-05-2014 10:48 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
(12-05-2014 10:44 AM)Claw Wrote:  We've been here many times before. Nothing is happening anytime soon. Nothing has changed to force the B12 to make a move. Unless some other conference makes a move, nothing is going to happen now.

The SEC made the move when it took TAMU and Missouri. Things do take time and it's been a couple of years now......

Yeah, it's a long shot, but any shot is better than no shot.
12-05-2014 10:50 AM
Stammers Online
Legend

(12-05-2014 10:44 AM)ReynaFan Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 08:26 AM)Stammers Wrote:  If Bama is playing Auburn, everyone is going to watch that game. If we are playing Texas or Oklahoma; there are a lot of tv sets in the region, (Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky, Missouri) that will watch our game instead of Vandy at Ole Piss, or MSU at Kentucky.

I'm trying to envision the guy this is true for. Most people in the region you name are SEC fans. Joe SEC grew up in one of those states. He went to (pick any school other than Vandy, Ole Miss, MSU, or Kentucky)....let's say Florida. The 11:00 time slot has two games: Memphis vs Texas and either example SEC game listed. I think Joe SEC watches the SEC game. Not sure about the % of people in our region who are not SEC people, but maybe a guy from Chicago went to Notre Dame and now lives in Alabama. I think he doesn't watch either game and does his Saturday "honey-do's" until the games he wants to watch (Norte Dame or possibly B1g) come on. Is there a different profile with a critical mass in our region that I don't see?

Unless Kentucky, Ole Piss, MSU or Vandy are nationally ranked, I would think that many $EC fans in many states will watch the better matchup. I don't think anyone would watch Kentucky at Vandy for any reason.
12-05-2014 10:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.