Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If we wanted to leave the Sun Belt now...
Bookmark and Share
TXSTCAT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bobcats
If we wanted to leave the Sun Belt now...
Would you blame us? I appreciate all the efforts by the fans to try to get us into an at large bowl game. But I can't help but feel we were sold out by the leadership of the Sun Belt. I'm more upset for our athletes and staff who did everything asked to make a bowl game than myself as a fan. Chances are I wouldn't be able to make the game but the team would. If this is what we have to look forward to every year. Worrying that we might get passed over by the local flavor then why be in a conference. What good is a tie in. The next tie in will be in Florida. So what does that mean. A 6-6 GSU will be selected over a 7-5 TXST? I was a fan of the belt and enjoy the fans but I'm sorry but I want out. CUSA has my vote now.
12-04-2014 08:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
RE: If we wanted to leave the Sun Belt now...
(12-04-2014 08:23 PM)TXSTCAT Wrote:  Would you blame us? I appreciate all the efforts by the fans to try to get us into an at large bowl game. But I can't help but feel we were sold out by the leadership of the Sun Belt. I'm more upset for our athletes and staff who did everything asked to make a bowl game than myself as a fan. Chances are I wouldn't be able to make the game but the team would. If this is what we have to look forward to every year. Worrying that we might get passed over by the local flavor then why be in a conference. What good is a tie in. The next tie in will be in Florida. So what does that mean. A 6-6 GSU will be selected over a 7-5 TXST? I was a fan of the belt and enjoy the fans but I'm sorry but I want out. CUSA has my vote now.

I'm sure many Bobcats feel this way, myself included, just not sure that now's the time for that conversation. . . . We're not dead yet. Let's see what happens Sun. Night . . If things don't go our way, we've got all off season to have this discussion. I do believe though, that geography will continue to be a problem for us moving forward in the SBC . . 6-6 over 7-5, it sucks for us, and even though we can understand the "reasons given". ... It does not make us like it any better . . .
12-04-2014 08:31 PM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(12-04-2014 08:23 PM)TXSTCAT Wrote:  Would you blame us? I appreciate all the efforts by the fans to try to get us into an at large bowl game. But I can't help but feel we were sold out by the leadership of the Sun Belt. I'm more upset for our athletes and staff who did everything asked to make a bowl game than myself as a fan. Chances are I wouldn't be able to make the game but the team would. If this is what we have to look forward to every year. Worrying that we might get passed over by the local flavor then why be in a conference. What good is a tie in. The next tie in will be in Florida. So what does that mean. A 6-6 GSU will be selected over a 7-5 TXST? I was a fan of the belt and enjoy the fans but I'm sorry but I want out. CUSA has my vote now.

The way things are right now, every school would leave if they had an offer. So at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you want to leave, but whether or not you have an offer.

That could change over time, but it's going to take a while.
12-04-2014 08:33 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Good God.

I hate to tell you but you are in for some hard times in FBS football. You will not get your way and everything will not be happy times. You will be left out of bowls at some point in the future in any conference unless you get to a P5 conference.

Try going 11-0 and getting no bowl. Ever done that?

You were on ESPN on a nice night against a top conference opponent with bowl eligibility on the line and you had almost nobody there....and you want to blame it on the conference? How about YOUR FANS? You haven't proved to any bowl yet that your fans can travel 10 feet much less 10 hours.

So join the "we want out of the Sun Belt crowd". Maybe we all should. Maybe we should all leave and form a new conference that has 11 bowl tie-ins. Then it would be utopia.
12-04-2014 08:36 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
Shake my damn head at this.
12-04-2014 08:38 PM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU

Most schools outside of State or UL understand your frustrations. Unless you win the Belt , you will be left home if State and UL are 6-6. I do find that CUSA has better standards and is overall a more stable conference. Perception is everything and CUSA has always done a better job of that. I have nothing against the Sun Belt, it was a great home for a Long time, but WKU set at home 2 out of 3 years being 7 or better wins and then wondered why we left
12-04-2014 08:40 PM
Advertisement

therealbigredrules Offline
Water Engineer

WKU

2011 No Bowl at 7-5
2012 Little Caesars Pizza Bowl at 7-5
2013 No Bowl at 8-4

Not here to flame. Just that sunbelt needs to clear up the rules of who get in, and tie ins.
12-04-2014 08:40 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Yeah leave this for the home board. Does no good here. It sucks but the team blew it when they didn't beat USA. There's still hope but got to do more then 7-5. Two years in a row getting left out really sucks.

I would say the teams should get picked by record but if the bowls don't take who sells the most tickets and makes them the most money, then they won't exist anymore.

I'd also say the odds of going to CUSA are lower than going to a bowl this. So if that's your view, prepare for a lot of disappointment.
12-04-2014 08:41 PM
TXSTCAT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bobcats
(12-04-2014 08:31 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  

I'm sure many Bobcats feel this way, myself included, just not sure that now's the time for that conversation. . . . We're not dead yet. Let's see what happens Sun. Night . . If things don't go our way, we've got all off season to have this discussion. I do believe though, that geography will continue to be a problem for us moving forward in the SBC . . 6-6 over 7-5, it sucks for us, and even though we can understand the "reasons given". ... It does not make us like it any better . . .

Why not. I bet our players and coaching staff feel shafted. I'm speaking up for them. If we don't go bowling boy will they have a chip on their shoulder next season.
12-04-2014 08:42 PM
trapdrawApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
Yea, what you just described would never happen in CUSA.
12-04-2014 08:42 PM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-04-2014 08:40 PM)wkuhilltopperfan Wrote:  

Most schools outside of State or UL understand your frustrations. Unless you win the Belt , you will be left home if State and UL are 6-6. I do find that CUSA has better standards and is overall a more stable conference. Perception is everything and CUSA has always done a better job of that. I have nothing against the Sun Belt, it was a great home for a Long time, but WKU set at home 2 out of 3 years being 7 or better wins and then wondered why we left

Sorry bud, the Cajuns have sat at home plenty of times while bowl eligible... Up until 2011 it had been since 1971... We were bowl eligible plenty of times.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 08:45 PM by Louisiana99.)
12-04-2014 08:43 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

Everybody that wants out needs to call their AD and President TONIGHT and tell them to go Indy. Stop hanging around the conference and using everyone else for home and home. Just go Indy, make your own schedules, and be done with it. I'm certain your bowl chances will be much, much, higher.

Start a movement for your school to go indy. Do it TONIGHT.
12-04-2014 08:44 PM
therealbigredrules Offline
Water Engineer

CUSA rules are clear
7 wins go before 6 win.
12-04-2014 08:45 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns

If you'd have beaten S. Alabama....................01-lauramac2
12-04-2014 08:47 PM
gostAte870 Offline
Special Teams

I'm concerned from here on out because when A-State doesn't win the conference, UL will get New Orleans, and Ga Southern, App, and/or USA will get the Alabama bowls. We're going to be as screwed as Texas State going forward.
12-04-2014 08:49 PM
bamaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
If you guys want to go bowling over teams that make more sense geographically you need to at least have a decent attendance showing when you are on national television. How well does your fan base travel? Is there any reason for bowls to chose you over a South Alabama teams that beat you if the bowl is closer to them? You guys aren't going over ULL or stAte since they already have a great bowl reputation. If your team beats USA this problem doesn't even exist.
12-04-2014 08:49 PM
Advertisement

Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
(12-04-2014 08:36 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  Good God.

I hate to tell you but you are in for some hard times in FBS football. You will not get your way and everything will not be happy times. You will be left out of bowls at some point in the future in any conference unless you get to a P5 conference.

Try going 11-0 and getting no bowl. Ever done that?

You were on ESPN on a nice night against a top conference opponent with bowl eligibility on the line and you had almost nobody there....and you want to blame it on the conference? How about YOUR FANS? You haven't proved to any bowl yet that your fans can travel 10 feet much less 10 hours.

So join the "we want out of the Sun Belt crowd". Maybe we all should. Maybe we should all leave and form a new conference that has 11 bowl tie-ins. Then it would be utopia.

I agree that a 7-5 team should be picked over a 6-6, but you're absolutely correct in pointing out the last televised crowd.
The bowl committee people are watching attendance late in the season. I know in years past, Terry M was really working hard trying to get people to games late in the year....esp for bowl reps to see it.
12-04-2014 08:50 PM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
I think people often forget this conference, as a football conference, just hit puberty. This is only it's 14th season. 14 years ago north texas won the league with a 5-6 record and had to get a waiver to go to New Orleans which was our only bowl tie in.
12-04-2014 08:51 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
(12-04-2014 08:49 PM)gostAte870 Wrote:  I'm concerned from here on out because when A-State doesn't win the conference, UL will get New Orleans, and Ga Southern, App, and/or USA will get the Alabama bowls. We're going to be as screwed as Texas State going forward.

That's what I'm thinking. Sure there are four bowls next year but if the teams finish the same way next year there will be 6 teams so 2 get left out instead of one. No way Cure doesn't take GS or App. App may get screwed as they are further but not as far as stAte or TXST.

Hate to be NMSU or Idaho. They'll never get picked if they get eligible.

App hasn't proven they can travel like stAte to a bowl but I'm sure they'd do about as well as TXST.
12-04-2014 08:52 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(12-04-2014 08:31 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  

C-USA has a rule that all 7-5 teams are placed before 6-6 teams. Then again, they've got a full time commissioner on the payroll.
12-04-2014 08:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.