Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hail to the Chief
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
Hail to the Chief
[Image: hires_070909121022_090709-GBRA-6744H-005%5B1%5D.JPG]

http://www.fletcher.tufts.edu/Fletcher_D...9EFB4B96B0

A name to really start watching in the University of Miami presidential search: Adm. James Stavridis, currently a Dean at Tufts.
-- Tim Reynolds @ByTimReynolds

Adm. James Stavridis, who retired from the navy in July, ran both U.S. European Command and U.S. Southern Command — the first admiral in either post.
-- navytimes

SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2014 01:38 PM by green.)
12-04-2014 01:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
RE: Hail to the Chief
So will you guys start running the triple option on offense?
12-04-2014 02:05 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-04-2014 02:05 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  So will you guys start running the triple option on offense?

[Image: bill-crabs.jpg]

in honor of the seaman ...
I bring U: crabs
an offense so indefensible ...
as jameis winston can attest ...
the scars never heal ...

A SOUVENIR FROM TIJUANA
12-04-2014 04:17 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Maybe he will bring back institutionalized cheating so Miami can go back to winning again.
12-04-2014 04:26 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

So is that a yes on the triple option?
12-04-2014 06:24 PM
Advertisement

green Offline
Hall of Famer

[Image: CCUv2zxVIAM2Xhp.jpg]

why is the University of Miami announcing its presidential selection on the same day florida senator & UM alumnus Marco Rubio announces his presidential intention ...
unless ...

AY CARAMBA
04-13-2015 06:24 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(04-13-2015 06:24 AM)green Wrote:  [Image: CCUv2zxVIAM2Xhp.jpg]

why is the University of Miami announcing its presidential selection on the same day florida senator & UM alumnus Marco Rubio announces his presidential intention ...
unless ...

AY CARAMBA

Cuz both will be irrelevant by Super Tuesday? 03-lmfao

Actually I love the Miami hire...enuf of the feel good liberal leaders pandering to PC.
04-13-2015 07:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I appreciate his service but what qualifies him to be president of a university? He's been a Dean at Tufts for less than a year. No other higher education experience that I saw. Great choice for a school like VMI. I don't see the how 35 years in the navy benefits Miami.
04-13-2015 08:47 PM
opossum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Duke
(04-13-2015 08:47 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  I appreciate his service but what qualifies him to be president of a university? He's been a Dean at Tufts for less than a year. No other higher education experience that I saw. Great choice for a school like VMI. I don't see the how 35 years in the navy benefits Miami.

He has experience leading much larger and much more important organizations than the University of Miami. And while he may not have as much private fundraising experience as Donna Shalala, he is not the least bit divisive politically -- everyone (with any money to donate to Miami) loves the Navy. And he wouldn't have gotten as far as he did in the Navy without some political skill. Great choice.
04-13-2015 08:59 PM
Advertisement

lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(04-13-2015 08:59 PM)opossum Wrote:  
(04-13-2015 08:47 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  I appreciate his service but what qualifies him to be president of a university? He's been a Dean at Tufts for less than a year. No other higher education experience that I saw. Great choice for a school like VMI. I don't see the how 35 years in the navy benefits Miami.

He has experience leading much larger and much more important organizations than the University of Miami. And while he may not have as much private fundraising experience as Donna Shalala, he is not the least bit divisive politically -- everyone (with any money to donate to Miami) loves the Navy. And he wouldn't have gotten as far as he did in the Navy without some political skill. Great choice.

Looks like an excellent choice to me. I like his vitae and he has to be politically astute in addition to being smart to make it that high in the Navy. The Boston connection for Miami is also a plus.
04-13-2015 09:24 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
IT'S OFFICIAL: MIAMI HIRES DEAN OF HARVARD PUBLIC HEALTH DR. JULIO FRENK

[Image: juliofrenk.jpg]

We got a real steal. Dr. Julio Frenk, former Mexican Secretary of Health (there's a theme here) and soon to be former DEAN of the Harvard School of Public Health. UM is really going hard after the academic elites, and Dr. Frenk is certainly a man who fits the bill of an academic elite. While at Harvard, he quadrupled the fundraising of their school of public health and got a title donation of more than $350 million. Frenk was a candidate for director-general of the World Health Organization. He will be the 6th president of the University of Miami and the FIRST Hispanic.

News article here: http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/dr-jul...nt-7569449
04-14-2015 01:08 AM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-13-2015 08:59 PM)opossum Wrote:  

As good as the Navy guy's fundraising might be, we got ourselves someone better. Soon-to-be former dean of Harvard public health school. HUGE hire for Miami -- great choice. Also, his wife - a fellow Harvard professor - will be joining the Miami faculty. Big-time gain for UM. Probably an athletics supporter too, rather than Shalala's halfway attempt to run things.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2015 01:13 AM by Ole Blue.)
04-14-2015 01:09 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(04-14-2015 01:09 AM)Ole Blue Wrote:  ...Soon-to-be former dean of Harvard public health school. HUGE hire for Miami -- great choice. Also, his wife - a fellow Harvard professor - will be joining the Miami faculty. Big-time gain for UM. Probably an athletics supporter too, rather than Shalala's halfway attempt to run things.

Not disputing, just wondering - what makes you think the new President will support athletics better than the old one did?
04-14-2015 08:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports

Higher education experience isn't a prerequisite for the president of a university. Experience leading a large, complex organization is. Maybe that's why General Eisenhower was picked to be president of Columbia University before he ran for political office.
04-14-2015 09:55 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

(04-14-2015 08:50 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(04-14-2015 01:09 AM)Ole Blue Wrote:  ...Soon-to-be former dean of Harvard public health school. HUGE hire for Miami -- great choice. Also, his wife - a fellow Harvard professor - will be joining the Miami faculty. Big-time gain for UM. Probably an athletics supporter too, rather than Shalala's halfway attempt to run things.

Not disputing, just wondering - what makes you think the new President will support athletics better than the old one did?

Hope.

He comes from Harvard, where they de-emphasized athletics long ago.

Also, it's pretty easy to find big donors at Harvard.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2015 11:02 AM by Marge Schott.)
04-14-2015 11:02 AM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-14-2015 11:02 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  

Hope.

He comes from Harvard, where they de-emphasized athletics long ago.

Also, it's pretty easy to find big donors at Harvard.

CORRECTION: Hope that our Board of Trustees has some inkling of the importance of our athletics. He did state a few times (I think) in his 'opening address' that athletics are an important part of a university... Which is more than Shalala ended up saying/doing.
04-14-2015 07:18 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

Shalala supported athletics? Point is, pretty much anything that does a little more would be better.
04-14-2015 07:19 PM
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

How did Shalala not support athletics? What specifically did she do?
04-14-2015 09:28 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-14-2015 09:28 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  How did Shalala not support athletics? What specifically did she do?

I'm of the camp that she did support athletics but not enough -- allowing mediocrity to become the norm in football, not really being very involved in community w/athletics, etc. I honestly don't care enough to go into all the details but if you really want to investigate the whining by some Miami fans CanesTime and Facebook often have long lists of complaints... 03-banghead
04-15-2015 06:07 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I actually have had that/this conversation with Cane fans on a message board. And they didn't actually answer my question. Shalala is just your scapegoat, with nothing to actually support that. Far as I can tell.

Cane Fan #1 says:
Quote:Have to adapt to the 21st century state of football in terms of funding the program. The worst known secret is that shalala under funded the football program to further her own agendas at the school. She is gone in a month so that will change with the new president. Miami is starting to upgrade the facilities as well. An indoor practice facility will be announced in the coming months and the money for the adidas revenue will surely help as it is $4-5 million in cash and $4-5 million in athletic and apparel gear per year.

Me:
Quote:How did she underfund the program? Did she steal money from the AD to put towards the school's general fund? Did she turn down athletic contributions (looking at her smiling next to Shapiro at the bowling alley would indicate the answer is "No")?

Programs are funded via tv/conference revenue, ticket sales and booster contributions. Having literally 1/2 to 1/3 the attendance of nearly every other major program is the problem in funding. Having to pay rent on the stadium you use for home games is the problem (does UM get money for concessions or parking?).

Shalala is just an easy cop out and will be vilified even more now that she's retiring and a convenient scapegoat.

Cane Fan #1 replies:
Quote:The money miami did win from the championship and bcs wins from the early 2000s she did not put it back into the football program instead she put it Into academics. Shalala has raised at least 2 billion for the university of miami and not a penny of it has went into the football program. People might say well it was for academic purposes and research but what was the money we won in the early 2000s supposed to be used? Football instead she used it for academics. It's no secret miami has not flourished in football since she has been here.

Me:
Quote:Not a penny? Didn't you just complete a new football/athletic facility a few years back? Didn't you say you'll be announcing an IPF soon?

What money did UM "win from the early 2000s" teams? The NCAA or BCS doesn't just hand you a personal check for winning. That money is divided by the conference and then given to the school. Again, are you suggesting Shalala took tv/conference money, booster contributions and ticket sales revenue from the AD and put it towards the school's general fund?

Cane Fan #2 says:
Quote:That money came from Donations a large sum was given to Miami by a booster and that was right before Shannon was fired, I believe it was like 15 million and then Miami started a campaign to help raise money for the building of those facilities, we also have had athletes give money over the last several years, and don't forget the Money Miami just received from Adidas.

So what [Cane Fan #1] said is true during our hay day Shalla was not distributing the fair amount of money into the football program but if you take a good look at Miami you will see they have World renowned Health facilities and a Hospital and other improvement on the campus, she was an outstanding President for the School but she did not invest into the Program, thinking it was a Machine that didn't need oiling.

Me:
Quote:Can you please provide an instance of when Shalala took money from the AD to put towards the school's general fund?

AD money primarily comes from conference disbursements, ticket sales and booster contributions. It's not like FSU or UF are given tens of millions each year by their university presidents.

Cane Fans: *crickets*

/conversation

We have ALL heard these claims from Miami fans for the last several years. Yet nobody is providing any evidence in support. So, it leads me to believe it's just drivel and she's nothing more than the scapegoat for bad coaching hires, poor facilities and poor fan support. I'm just sayin'.

Shalala was taking athletics donations from a FELON at a bowling alley. She was at plenty of football games in her iconic jean capris. I've seen pictures of both. Where is this "Shalala didn't support athletics in the community" talk coming from? She also wasn't the AD. She didn't hire and fire coaches.
04-16-2015 12:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.