ESPN: Official Jim McElwain at Florida
12-04-2014 10:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
RE: ESPN: Official Jim McElwain at Florida
I had already heard that an agreement was in place for McElwain to go to Florida if a compromise could be reached on the buyout. I think it will come out that the buyout will be reduced from $7.5 million to $3 million (his original buyout amount before he signed an extension) and Florida will agree to play CSU in a home and home series. That's a pretty big deal since Florida hasn't played OOC outside of Florida in years.
12-04-2014 10:39 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(12-04-2014 10:39 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  I had already heard that an agreement was in place for McElwain to go to Florida if a compromise could be reached on the buyout. I think it will come out that the buyout will be reduced from $7.5 million to $3 million (his original buyout amount before he signed an extension) and Florida will agree to play CSU in a home and home series. That's a pretty big deal since Florida hasn't played OOC outside of Florida in years.

I think Florida nailed this hire...remember the last time they got a HC out of the MWC...plus he knows the South from his time as an Assistant at Louisville and especially Alabama.
12-04-2014 10:41 AM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(12-04-2014 10:39 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  I had already heard that an agreement was in place for McElwain to go to Florida if a compromise could be reached on the buyout. I think it will come out that the buyout will be reduced from $7.5 million to $3 million (his original buyout amount before he signed an extension) and Florida will agree to play CSU in a home and home series. That's a pretty big deal since Florida hasn't played OOC outside of Florida in years.

That would be HUGE for CSU. They had to know he would get poached from somewhere.

Why would he have signed a new contract with that sort of buyout clause if he knew he was entertaining offers from other schools.
12-04-2014 10:45 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

Sounds like a good deal by Colorado St.

They should make sure they threw in basketball H&H as well.
12-04-2014 10:55 AM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(12-04-2014 10:55 AM)bullet Wrote:  

I don't know if you want to get too greedy with Foley. And I won't believe the Gator's will leave the Sunshine State for an OOC road game until I see it.
12-04-2014 11:26 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(12-04-2014 11:26 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

I don't know if you want to get too greedy with Foley. And I won't believe the Gator's will leave the Sunshine State for an OOC road game until I see it.

You won't see it. The CSU-Florida game will be in Gainesville.

Here's the deal:

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_27...head-coach
Quote:The renegotiated buyout has CSU receiving $5 million cash and $2 million guaranteed to play at Florida in the future, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Important added detail -- McElwain has to pay $2 million of his buyout out of his own pocket.

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/540554384464027648
Quote:Per UF's official release, McElwain will pay $2M of the buyout himself. So UF is on the hook for $3M cash, $2M guarantee game.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 01:37 PM by Wedge.)
12-04-2014 11:41 AM
Advertisement

HawkeyeCoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BYU
(12-04-2014 11:41 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

Here's the deal:

Quote:The renegotiated buyout has CSU receiving $5 million cash and $2 million guaranteed to play at Florida in the future, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Important added detail -- McElwain has to pay $2 million of his buyout out of his own pocket.

Quote:Per UF's official release, McElwain will pay $2M of the buyout himself. So UF is on the hook for $3M cash, $2M guarantee game.

Here is another example of a buyout being negotiated down, reminding me of many teams leaving their conference with buyouts negotiated down. Why are these buyouts (which seem to be fairly ironclad) so easy to lower? What is the point of negotiating a large buyout?
12-04-2014 02:13 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
That's a great hire.
12-04-2014 02:16 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(12-04-2014 02:13 PM)HawkeyeCoug Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 11:41 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

Here's the deal:

Here is another example of a buyout being negotiated down, reminding me of many teams leaving their conference with buyouts negotiated down. Why are these buyouts (which seem to be fairly ironclad) so easy to lower? What is the point of negotiating a large buyout?

That's Negotiating 101. The higher you start, the higher you are likely to end up.
12-04-2014 02:19 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Sucks for CSU. Anyway, hopefully they can hire somebody good to keep CSU's momentum going. Heard possibly Brady Hoke? He would do well in the MW conference as he did for San Diego St.
12-04-2014 02:22 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Les Miles gets in a dig at the SEC office for making LSU play Florida every year...

Quote:Les Miles
@LSUCoachMiles

From your permanent SEC Western Division opponent, welcome back to league Coach McElwain. Will enjoy continued great competition w/ Florida.
12-04-2014 05:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.