Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Interesting take from Jason Smith and Edmiston this morning
Bookmark and Share
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
Interesting take from Jason Smith and Edmiston this morning
Per the stats, the Tigers are worst when Austin, Shaq and Nick are on the floor at the same time.

D'Marnier is not the answer at PG for those holding out that hope.

Conversely, Kedren is the only real hope at PG.

Iverson will play on Saturday.
12-04-2014 09:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
RE: Interesting take from Jason Smith and Edmiston this morning
I liked the split of the PG minutes on Tuesday between Kedren (16) and Pookie (11). It'll let them both come along, but I'm guessing Kedren has the higher ceiling this season. He looked better on Tuesday.

I hope this was Markel's last game at the 1. He's done admirable as a place holder, but this car-wreck of a game against SFA showed that we're better off with a real yet inexperienced/fat PG. Markel would consistently pick up his dribble under pressure all night, something you just can't do if you want to be a PG. 5 TOs to 2 assists for him, and there were almost a few more TOs.

Poor King. He's probably the most driven guy on the team, but it looks like he's going to either have to take a back seat to Burrell at the 3 or play out of position at the 4 again. He just didn't make any significant strides in his ball skills over the summer, and he's only minimally better on the defensive end.

I'm anxious to see what Iverson can do.
12-04-2014 09:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
King can't dribble and that like having 3 PFs on the court. They are just jamming each other up.
12-04-2014 09:49 AM
T.I.G.E.R.S Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis/OU
Try Iverson at PG, last time we tried an unconventional PG (Tyreke) it worked out for us. Anything is worth a try right now
12-04-2014 09:53 AM
TigerBo Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(12-04-2014 09:49 AM)Ramen_Tiger Wrote:  King can't dribble and that like having 3 PFs on the court. They are just jamming each other up.

For once I agree with you 100%. I'm sure King is a great kid, but I think what we see now is about the best we'll get from him. I just don't think his size and skill set allow for a higher ceiling.
12-04-2014 09:56 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-04-2014 09:53 AM)T.I.G.E.R.S Wrote:  Try Iverson at PG, last time we tried an unconventional PG (Tyreke) it worked out for us. Anything is worth a try right now

God no. We have two PGs. If anything the last several games have showed us that PG maybe isn't our biggest concern.
12-04-2014 09:58 AM
Advertisement

UpperTiger Offline
Special Teams

King is out of position at the 3. He is absolutely a 4 in the college game.

He has been pigeon-holed as a 3 because A) that's what people want highly rated 6'6-6'7 recruits to become, B) Last year's team didn't have a 3 (outside of Damien Wilson), C) Of our 3 best returning players this season, he was by far the closest thing to a 3.

King is below average dribbler, shooter, and perimeter defender at the 3. His skills are scoring at the rim and rebounding. His deficiencies on defense have never been due to being underzised at the 4. As a 4, he is an average to above-average perimeter player (offense and defense). His perimeter skill-set isn't all that different than Rob Dozier's....good for a 4, would have been terrible as a 3.
12-04-2014 10:07 AM
TigerBo Offline
All American

(12-04-2014 09:58 AM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 09:53 AM)T.I.G.E.R.S Wrote:  Try Iverson at PG, last time we tried an unconventional PG (Tyreke) it worked out for us. Anything is worth a try right now

God no. We have two PGs. If anything the last several games have showed us that PG maybe isn't our biggest concern.

KI needs to play the 4 and the team desperately needs him to play the 4. If he could halfway decently perform in the post, he'll have all the minutes he wants in a backup role.
12-04-2014 10:08 AM
TigerBo Offline
All American

(12-04-2014 10:07 AM)UpperTiger Wrote:  King is out of position at the 3. He is absolutely a 4 in the college game.

He has been pigeon-holed as a 3 because A) that's what people want highly rated 6'6-6'7 recruits to become, B) Last year's team didn't have a 3 (outside of Damien Wilson), C) Of our 3 best returning players this season, he was by far the closest thing to a 3.

King is below average dribbler, shooter, and perimeter defender at the 3. His skills are scoring at the rim and rebounding. His deficiencies on defense have never been due to being underzised at the 4. As a 4, he is an average to above-average perimeter player (offense and defense). His perimeter skill-set isn't all that different than Rob Dozier's....good for a 4, would have been terrible as a 3.

He is a classic tweener at the high D1 level.
12-04-2014 10:10 AM
TigerSeth Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
King is a turnover machine at the 3..
12-04-2014 10:12 AM
tigersroll Offline
All American

Iverson should be the 3. King is a liability at the 3.
12-04-2014 10:25 AM
Advertisement

CTalley Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
(12-04-2014 09:42 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  Per the stats, the Tigers are worst when Austin, Shaq and Nick are on the floor at the same time.

D'Marnier is not the answer at PG for those holding out that hope.

Conversely, Kedren is the only real hope at PG.

Iverson will play on Saturday.

I think if we are going to play Shaq and Nichols together, we're going to have to be more intentional about working through a high low offensive set. We try to jam the ball into the post from the wing on the first side without any off ball movement or screening action and it is almost impossible. Whenever possible, the ball needs to move side to side then work through Shaq as a post feeder from the high post.
12-04-2014 10:26 AM
Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

Seriously King can make a living in college at the 4. Iverson from camp reports had the better defensive instincts.
12-04-2014 10:31 AM
TigerBo Offline
All American

(12-04-2014 10:25 AM)tigersroll Wrote:  Iverson should be the 3. King is a liability at the 3.

I don't see it.. but I guess anything is worth a try.
12-04-2014 10:32 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-04-2014 10:07 AM)UpperTiger Wrote:  King is out of position at the 3. He is absolutely a 4 in the college game.

We don't need an undersized 4 on this roster, and likely won't for teh rest of the time King is in school. We've got Shaq, Austin, Iverson, Godfrey and Hawkins who can fill in at the 4. Also, Nick doesn't need to be a 4. If he wants any shot at playing at a higher level, he needs skills at the 3.

Bob Dozier was 6'10" not 6'6". Nick needs to be at the 3, and the coaches haven't brought him along to be able to play there yet. It's frustrating.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 10:35 AM by MemphisCanes.)
12-04-2014 10:32 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-04-2014 10:08 AM)TigerBo Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 09:58 AM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  

KI needs to play the 4 and the team desperately needs him to play the 4. If he could halfway decently perform in the post, he'll have all the minutes he wants in a backup role.

Yep.
12-04-2014 10:34 AM
Advertisement

TigerBo Offline
All American

(12-04-2014 10:32 AM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  

We don't need an undersized 4 on this roster, and likely won't for teh rest of the time King is in school. We've got Shaq, Austin, Iverson and Hawkins who can fill in at the 4. Also, Nick doesn't need to be a 4. If he wants any shot at playing at a higher level, he needs skills at the 3.

Bob Dozier was 6'10" not 6'6". Nick needs to be at the 3, and the coaches haven't brought him along to be able to play there yet. It's frustrating.

Trueth
12-04-2014 10:35 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(12-04-2014 09:48 AM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  I liked the split of the PG minutes on Tuesday between Kedren (16) and Pookie (11). It'll let them both come along, but I'm guessing Kedren has the higher ceiling this season. He looked better on Tuesday.

I hope this was Markel's last game at the 1. He's done admirable as a place holder, but this car-wreck of a game against SFA showed that we're better off with a real yet inexperienced/fat PG. Markel would consistently pick up his dribble under pressure all night, something you just can't do if you want to be a PG. 5 TOs to 2 assists for him, and there were almost a few more TOs.

Poor King. He's probably the most driven guy on the team, but it looks like he's going to either have to take a back seat to Burrell at the 3 or play out of position at the 4 again. He just didn't make any significant strides in his ball skills over the summer, and he's only minimally better on the defensive end.

I'm anxious to see what Iverson can do.

I don't have a lot of expectations. If the concussion was that bad, I would have to assume (correct?) that he hasn't practiced in over two weeks. I would expect his conditioning to be awful, as well as his timing. And this all coming from a guy that only played 8 minutes of basketball (total) the final 12 games of the 2013-14 season.

That will be setting him up for failure. Fans (even here) are expecting him to be a semi-savior and if he looks as he did last year (which would be expected) there will be more disappointment.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 10:46 AM by salukiblue.)
12-04-2014 10:40 AM
memphissince86 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TigersnRedskins
King has never been a 3, he should be the 4 as the 6th man off the bench.

Play Burrell at the 3, same height but has wing skills.

King is just in the way with Shaq and Austin b/c he wants to be close to the basket, which is why our High-Low with Shaq and Austin hasn't worked.

You can play high low with 2 players in the paint.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 10:47 AM by memphissince86.)
12-04-2014 10:45 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
Rotate King, Shaq and Austin at the 4/5. Godfrey shouldn't play unless we have foul trouble. Burrell and Hawkins should rotate at the 3 with Burrell getting the most minutes. Markel should start at the 2 with Woodson backing him up. Pookster and Kedren should man the 1. I still think Pook has more upside. Josh needs to throw him in there and let him learn. Maybe by March he can be ready to lead us through the American tournament
12-04-2014 10:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.