Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A&M/LSU Ratings > Texas/TCU
LSUtah Offline
1st String

I Root For: LSU
A&M/LSU Ratings > Texas/TCU
I find this interesting...this seems to be yet another data point in the Big-12's march to becoming a regional conference.

Regardless, hopefully we will see Texas vs Texas A&M on Thanksgiving again one day.

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2014/12/2...xas-vs-tcu

"According to Sports Media Watch, the Aggies more than doubled up the Longhorns on Thanksgiving night with 2.9 million viewers compared to 1.3 million. A&M-LSU also brought a 52% increase over the 2012 Texas vs. TCU game which aired in the same timeslot on ESPN.

Despite the playoff implications for TCU, the combination of Texas A&M, the SEC, and ESPN put the Aggies on top of the Longhorns in TV exposure."
12-03-2014 10:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
RE: A&M/LSU Ratings > Texas/TCU
1.3 for FS1 is actually a huge number for that network. When comparing ratings, at a minimum you have to consider network. ESPN can get 2 million viewers showing elf bowling (I'll let you decide if the elves are the ones bowling or getting bowled).

I don't think FS1 programming is ever over 1 million. They have to be ecstatic.
12-03-2014 11:10 AM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
Seattle-San Francisco crushed both of them drawing 23 million viewers.
12-03-2014 11:10 AM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(12-03-2014 11:10 AM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  1.3 for FS1 is actually a huge number for that network. When comparing ratings, at a minimum you have to consider network. ESPN can get 2 million viewers showing elf bowling (I'll let you decide if the elves are the ones bowling or getting bowled).

I don't think FS1 programming is ever over 1 million. They have to be ecstatic.

This. This also explains why the NFL outdrew them both.

Besides, the OP's thesis about the Big 12 being a regional conference and the SEC being national isn't supported by this data. The SEC has a much bigger population base than the Big 12, especially if you count Texas as split territory. If both were regional conferences, you'd expect the SEC to get 2-3 times the viewership.

I'm not saying that the SEC IS a regional conference, or that the Big 12 IS NOT. Just that it's not supported by this evidence.
12-03-2014 11:15 AM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(12-03-2014 11:10 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  Seattle-San Francisco crushed both of them drawing 23 million viewers.

23 million viewers to watch 3 hours of penatlies, commercials, challenges and field goals. The NFL puts out garbage and this country still consumes it en masse...sad.
12-03-2014 11:29 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-03-2014 10:59 AM)LSUtah Wrote:  I find this interesting...this seems to be yet another data point in the Big-12's march to becoming a regional conference.

Regardless, hopefully we will see Texas vs Texas A&M on Thanksgiving again one day.

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2014/12/2...xas-vs-tcu

"According to Sports Media Watch, the Aggies more than doubled up the Longhorns on Thanksgiving night with 2.9 million viewers compared to 1.3 million. A&M-LSU also brought a 52% increase over the 2012 Texas vs. TCU game which aired in the same timeslot on ESPN.

Despite the playoff implications for TCU, the combination of Texas A&M, the SEC, and ESPN put the Aggies on top of the Longhorns in TV exposure."

ESPN>FS1

LSU/Texas A&M at .8 beat out only 1 of the 14 TH night ESPN games this season-Houston/BYU (.6). They had a lower rating than BYU/UCF.

Meanwhile 32 of the 38 FS1 games were at a .5 or lower, so the TCU/UT blowout was in the normal range.

As for the respect issue, 3 of the top 9 are Big 12 teams. None of them are Texas or OU. TCU is rated ahead of an unbeaten FSU and a 1 loss Ohio St. KSU is rated ahead of 2 two loss SEC teams.
12-03-2014 11:43 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Top rated games on FS1 this year:
1.3 Baylor/Oklahoma
1.0 Baylor/W. Virginia
0.8 Texas/W. Virginia
0.7 Oregon/Cal

So the top 3 from the Big 12 beat all the Pac 12 games, including a UT/WVU game that was pretty meaningless except to the two teams.
12-03-2014 11:50 AM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
About what I expected. Obviously our game would have done a lot better if it had featured ranked teams and or a team competing for a shot at the national title.

Still mad about that last A&M drive but oh well! Had a great time at the game with my LSU buddy from back on the mountain!
12-03-2014 12:06 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
I had the LSU game going on my Ipad and the TCU game on the TV....

watching one game? cavemen....
12-03-2014 12:09 PM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I'd wager a lot of this was ESPN>>>>FOX Sports 1. LSU vs. Texas A&M might naturally do better in the southeast, but the implications of Texas/TCU was certainly bigger and would have played better elsewhere. Casual fans still aren't turning there though. The blowout was certainly a factor too. I know I turned it on when I got the chance, but didn't have to see a lot before I decided I'd go out without doing more than occasionally check the score.
12-03-2014 12:45 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(12-03-2014 12:45 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  I'd wager a lot of this was ESPN>>>>FOX Sports 1. LSU vs. Texas A&M might naturally do better in the southeast, but the implications of Texas/TCU was certainly bigger and would have played better elsewhere. Casual fans still aren't turning there though. The blowout was certainly a factor too. I know I turned it on when I got the chance, but didn't have to see a lot before I decided I'd go out without doing more than occasionally check the score.

FS1 is very good in terms of content and in-game product. I've found myself occasionally flipping to it before ESPN if I want some sports news these days. However, if I'm at a bar and ask for a game on FS1, I still get blank stares from the bartender usually.

NBC Sports is starting to permeate society because of their excellent Premier League coverage, but CBS Sportsnetwork and FS1 still have some work to do.
12-03-2014 12:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.