Watson Brown
12-03-2014 09:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
RE: Watson Brown
This is sad. Watson never got the respect he deserved...and now he never will. When UAB went on to mdo big things..when bowl games etc. What Watson did for UAB football would have been remembered and respected. sad.
12-03-2014 12:00 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(12-03-2014 09:46 AM)anubus Wrote:  http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/...cart_river

Does anyone think Neal Callaway has shed any tears over the death of our beloved program?

Those don't read like the words of a man that wanted to destroy the program that he helped build. Watson does a pretty good job describing how I've felt since I knew it was final.

Coach Bartow choosing Watson in 1994 to lead the program was a huge mistake. Imagine if we had a young, hungry coach like Bill Clark assume that role starting with the 95 season. Sigh.

But Watson Brown was not the death of this program. That started with the hiring of Neal Callaway and naming Brian Mackin AD.
12-03-2014 12:02 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(12-03-2014 12:02 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 09:46 AM)anubus Wrote:  http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/...cart_river

Does anyone think Neal Callaway has shed any tears over the death of our beloved program?

Those don't read like the words of a man that wanted to destroy the program that he helped build. Watson does a pretty good job describing how I've felt since I knew it was final.

Coach Bartow choosing Watson in 1994 to lead the program was a huge mistake. Imagine if we had a young, hungry coach like Bill Clark assume that role starting with the 95 season. Sigh.

But Watson Brown was not the death of this program. That started with the hiring of Neal Callaway and naming Brian Mackin AD.

Bartow did hire "a young, hungry coach" in Watson Brown. Our problem was that none of the program's leaders really understood the depth of the fiefdom mentality of Alabama politics that pervades even its academic institutions. They also didn't realize in 1990 that circumstances in the next decades would raise the cost of building new sports facilities by 200% to 300% and more (a "middle class" home in 1990 cost about $100,000 to build that today costs over $300,000 in the same location). They could not have known that their two top men's programs would have in 2014 essentially the same facilities in 2014 that it started with in the 1980s.

The environment of UAB's athletic program might have been different (better) in other states, but ours was being built in B'ham in a state that hates its largest city and in a UA system that jealously guarded its main campus prerogatives, even at the expense of its "sister" institutions. Today, Troy and USA are thanking their lucky stars that they are not a part of the UA System.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2014 12:52 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
12-03-2014 12:49 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I Root For: UAB

I think it started when the local media stopped realizing the importance of what was here & instead focused on ratings & laughs.
12-03-2014 12:50 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Watson was 45 when he was hired. Clark was 43. Neither could describe as young. I'm sure both were hungry when they took the job, but Watson had a lot more experience.
12-03-2014 01:00 PM
HSV_BLAZER Offline
Heisman

I Root For: #fireraywatts

I don't think Watson ever intentionally tried to damage the program. I believe his pain his real. Watson's problem was that he retired while still on active duty.
12-03-2014 02:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.