Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Why Pastner's not going anywhere anytime soon...
Bookmark and Share
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
Why Pastner's not going anywhere anytime soon...
2.65 million a year GUARANTEED until 2020. Fire him after this season and it cost us 13.25 million. Next year, 10.6 and so on. We have to get behind the coach and support the program because we really have no other choice except find a new team for a couple years. That's not an option for this fan. While I hate it, I think he's bought a bad year. I support the Tigers and hope JP can pull it out. I don't see another option right now
12-03-2014 09:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: Why Pastner's not going anywhere anytime soon...
I don't think anyone knows exactly what the buyout is. I've seen three different reports. I think if he actually has a losing overall record, he might want to call Crye-Leike. Anything better than that, and they probably give him a chance with the Lawsons.
12-03-2014 09:29 AM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2014 09:29 AM)fsquid Wrote:  I don't think anyone knows exactly what the buyout is. I've seen three different reports. I think if he actually has a losing overall record, he might want to call Crye-Leike. Anything better than that, and they probably give him a chance with the Lawsons.

There isn't a buyout. Laid out in the CA today...2.65 million GUARANTEED until 2020. Does this maybe make him try a little less hard? Too much security can be a bad thing
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2014 09:32 AM by tigerjamesc.)
12-03-2014 09:31 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(12-03-2014 09:31 AM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 09:29 AM)fsquid Wrote:  I don't think anyone knows exactly what the buyout is. I've seen three different reports. I think if he actually has a losing overall record, he might want to call Crye-Leike. Anything better than that, and they probably give him a chance with the Lawsons.

There isn't a buyout. Laid out in the CA today...2.65 million GUARANTEED until 2020. Does this maybe make him try a little less hard? Too much security can be a bad thing

I just can't believe that our ambassadors were that naive
12-03-2014 09:33 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

there is always a buyout, it just might be between the boosters and Pastner and not the university.
12-03-2014 09:34 AM
Easterwood Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(12-03-2014 09:33 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

I just can't believe that our ambassadors were that stupid
12-03-2014 09:34 AM
Advertisement

tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

Easterwood, maybe you could be the volunteer coach to get us over the hump?
12-03-2014 09:37 AM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(12-03-2014 09:25 AM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  2.65 million a year GUARANTEED until 2020. Fire him after this season and it cost us 13.25 million. Next year, 10.6 and so on. We have to get behind the coach and support the program because we really have no other choice except find a new team for a couple years. That's not an option for this fan. While I hate it, I think he's bought a bad year. I support the Tigers and hope JP can pull it out. I don't see another option right now

Who wrote that contract?

Change the name to Justin Fuente and we have a deal.
12-03-2014 09:38 AM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(12-03-2014 09:34 AM)fsquid Wrote:  

there is always a buyout, it just might be between the boosters and Pastner and not the university.

#HOPE
12-03-2014 09:39 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
I feel like Bill Murray in groundhog day.
12-03-2014 09:44 AM
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I've been lamenting this for some time here ... I don't mind the money so much (the big dogs' money, they can certainly pay it if they like), but I just don't get the 100% guarantee for that long with such an unproven, inexperienced hire. They could've given themselves some room to mitigate the downside here. Instead we're committed to $10-13M thru 2020. Meanwhile, if someone came calling (I know, stop laughing), their buyout is $500K I believe. I just don't get it.

That gold-plated contract doe.
12-03-2014 09:47 AM
Advertisement

truest blue tiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: memphis tigers
If these numbers are correct, he isn't going anywhere, some can scream FIRE HIM all they want, he's going to be here. Remember, the main focus now is on football, if we have any hope of getting into a P5 conference, football has to be competitive, the money has to be spent there. The only way he's bought out is for the Joe1's and Btigers of this board to pool their money together and do it. School can't afford to invest in football, pay off Josh, And a new coach, it is what it is.
12-03-2014 09:50 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

(12-03-2014 09:47 AM)80sTiger Wrote:  I've been lamenting this for some time here ... I don't mind the money so much (the big dogs' money, they can certainly pay it if they like), but I just don't get the 100% guarantee for that long with such an unproven, inexperienced hire. They could've given themselves some room to mitigate the downside here. Instead we're committed to $10-13M thru 2020. Meanwhile, if someone came calling (I know, stop laughing), their buyout is $500K I believe. I just don't get it.

the contract was in response to USC reported interest.
12-03-2014 09:51 AM
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

(12-03-2014 09:51 AM)fsquid Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 09:47 AM)80sTiger Wrote:  I've been lamenting this for some time here ... I don't mind the money so much (the big dogs' money, they can certainly pay it if they like), but I just don't get the 100% guarantee for that long with such an unproven, inexperienced hire. They could've given themselves some room to mitigate the downside here. Instead we're committed to $10-13M thru 2020. Meanwhile, if someone came calling (I know, stop laughing), their buyout is $500K I believe. I just don't get it.

Well, if that's all there was, we scare easy. If they'd wanted him that bad, okey dokey then. Had to be plenty of comparable options to him from an experience standpoint available who would've jumped at the chance to jump in here and coach.
12-03-2014 09:54 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards

#goodagent
12-03-2014 09:59 AM
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS

Yep. I'm sure there's some kind of way that the Ambassadors worked this. They're not going to offer any contract that they're not okay with spending the $$ listed.
12-03-2014 10:21 AM
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

OK if JP is going to be around here for a long time to come, let's insist he get a top teaching assistant that is given the authority to run practice & make team decisions. JP probably doesn't have complete control over who he hires, what other resources are available to him, etc. Therefore the university can both improve the program through a top teaching coach & at the same time take some of JP's decision making authority away. JP might resign over being in such a position & it shouldn't hurt the program, or he might thrive in an environment where he is chief recruiter but leaves the teaching & coaching to someone better qualified.

Not what you would want but we obviously can't pay JP & hire a top head coach.
12-03-2014 10:22 AM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2014 10:21 AM)tigergreen Wrote:  

Yep. I'm sure there's some kind of way that the Ambassadors worked this. They're not going to offer any contract that they're not okay with spending the $$ listed.

If it's not on paper in a contract, it's not enforceable. JP isn't gonna just give it back because of some wink and nod handshake deal. It is a public document and it is what it is.
12-03-2014 10:26 AM
Chirs Offline
Banned

I said back then and I'll say it now. I would've told him....if you can find a better offer, see ya. He was already making 1.7. That was more than enough for what he had accomplished.

At that point he had 1 tourney win in 5 years. And that against a mid major who had a 3 in the air to win the game at the buzzer. I guess we can thank Dellavadova for this contract.
12-03-2014 10:35 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(12-03-2014 10:26 AM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 10:21 AM)tigergreen Wrote:  

If it's not on paper in a contract, it's not enforceable. JP isn't gonna just give it back because of some wink and nod handshake deal. It is a public document and it is what it is.

Right, it has to be on paper. But who always pays the buyout? Boosters. There is nothing illegal about writing a separate buyout clause between the coach and the boosters, which would keep it out of university documents.

I just think it's not feasible to have a huge personal services contract with no mention of a buyout at all. There are always attorneys on both sides, and boosters aren't stupid or poor people.

I heard a rumor, not confirmed, that the buyout is a rolling 2 years salary, guaranteed.
12-03-2014 10:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.