Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I'm beginning to see the selection committee as a joke.
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Exclamation I'm beginning to see the selection committee as a joke.
Putting Florida State at 4 is an absolute disgrace and makes me question the neutrality of the committee. What is FSU being punished for that isn't also applicable to those ranked ahead of them? Only Alabama should be ranked ahead of them.

Arguments against FSU compared to TCU...

Too many close games? TCU has barely beaten Kansas, West Virginia, and Oklahoma and lost to Baylor. Let's say this is a draw.

No signature wins? TCU has wins over three ranked teams who aren't ranked anymore. In fact, only Kansas State is still ranked -- FSU has beaten two teams still ranked and is still undefeated. FSU wins.

Strength of schedule? TCU does have a vastly superior SoS but, if like the committee, we consider where those teams finish it looks a whole lot worse. FSU wins this by the committees supposed standard.

Arguments against FSU compared to Oregon...

Strength of schedule? Oregon is only ranked 8 spots higher than FSU. Considering there are 128 teams that's fairly even.

No signature wins? Oregon has three wins over ranked opponents, all of which are still ranked, but they also lost to Arizona. FSU only beating one less still ranked opponent but also being undefeated puts them ahead.

Too many close games? Oregon's only close win is against Wazu, no contest that Oregon is superior here.

After quickly reviewing the basic arguments against FSU we can see they should be ranked second. It's pretty simple really -- they're undefeated, if it were easy then they wouldn't be the only one. The committee's disregard for FSU's strengths is setting a bad precedent of bias.
12-02-2014 11:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
RE: I'm beginning to see the selection committee as a joke.
If FSU beats GT then they are in.

That's all that matters.

Seeding in a 4 team tournament is negligible because you still have to beat two Top 4 teams in a row.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2014 11:26 PM by 10thMountain.)
12-02-2014 11:22 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Right, because it would be better for FSU to travel to the Rose Bowl instead of travelling to the Sugar Bowl. I mean...that means nothing in comparison to having the number 3 in front of the team name instead of the number 4.

Reality check time for a lot of people.
12-02-2014 11:28 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
That's what I was thinking as well H1

Oregon/TCU in the Rose Bowl and Bama/FSU in the Sugar Bowl is the 1st round they are envisioning and it works quite well.
12-02-2014 11:31 PM
Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
This committee is watching 100% of all the games. They aren't getting their info distilled from Sportscenter like most of us. They aren't listening to talking heads or follow traditional poll rules like always having undefeated ahead of 1 loss teams, or not moving teams down if they win. They are consistently rewarding teams for good play and punishing them for marginal play, even when they win. FSU is ranked #5 in the computer composite. It is not just the committee seeing their flaws on film.

If TCU plays poorly against ISU, that will matter. If OSU of Baylor play strongly this week, that will matter. This is far from over. But I am very impressed with thei job they are doing and that was even before this week.
12-02-2014 11:35 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(12-02-2014 11:28 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Right, because it would be better for FSU to travel to the Rose Bowl instead of travelling to the Sugar Bowl. I mean...that means nothing in comparison to having the number 3 in front of the team name instead of the number 4.

That's a good point that I wasn't considering. But I also think FSU has earned the right to not have to play 'Bama before the title game -- assuming they were to get there. Maybe I just have to shake the BCS process from my own thought process. With allowing teams to play close to home they make seeding irrelevant, so it may just be better to call the teams 'top 4' and list them alphabetically instead of by an arbitrary seeding system.
12-02-2014 11:38 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-02-2014 11:20 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Putting Florida State at 4 is an absolute disgrace and makes me question the neutrality of the committee. What is FSU being punished for that isn't also applicable to those ranked ahead of them? Only Alabama should be ranked ahead of them.

Too many close games? TCU has barely beaten Kansas, West Virginia, and Oklahoma and lost to Baylor. Let's say this is a draw.

No signature wins? TCU has wins over three ranked teams who aren't ranked anymore. In fact, only Kansas State is still ranked -- FSU has beaten two teams still ranked and is still undefeated. FSU wins.

Strength of schedule? TCU does have a vastly superior SoS but, if like the committee, we consider where those teams finish it looks a whole lot worse. FSU wins this by the committees supposed standard.

Strength of schedule? Oregon is only ranked 8 spots higher than FSU. Considering there are 128 teams that's fairly even.

No signature wins? Oregon has three wins over ranked opponents, all of which are still ranked, but they also lost to Arizona. FSU only beating one less still ranked opponent but also being undefeated puts them ahead.

Too many close games? Oregon's only close win is against Wazu, no contest that Oregon is superior here.

After quickly reviewing the basic arguments against FSU we can see they should be ranked second. It's pretty simple really -- they're undefeated, if it were easy then they wouldn't be the only one. The committee's disregard for FSU's strengths is setting a bad precedent of bias.

KSU is #9. OU is #20.

Ultimately I think its because FSU repeatedly gets whipped in the first half by mediocre or bad teams (NCSU for example). 6 teams were w/I a TD of FSU. Two others, UL and NCSU had huge 1st half leads before FSU won it in the 4th. And FSU was hardly dominant against UVA (who lead early) or Syracuse. So FSU dominated the Citadel and Wake Forest-2 teams.

There was one common opponent. That's of limited value, but TCU did beat Oklahoma St. 42-9 while FSU squeaked out a 37-31 victory.

Yes, TCU had a nail biter vs. WVU, but so did Alabama, KSU and Oklahoma. And Baylor lost to them. WVU played 4 of the top 10 pretty even, getting outscored in those 4 games by only 3 points.
12-02-2014 11:44 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
FSU has grounds to be upset if they finish unbeaten and not in the top 4. But I think they probably jump back to 3rd with a win vs. GT.
12-02-2014 11:46 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(12-02-2014 11:38 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  
(12-02-2014 11:28 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Right, because it would be better for FSU to travel to the Rose Bowl instead of travelling to the Sugar Bowl. I mean...that means nothing in comparison to having the number 3 in front of the team name instead of the number 4.

That's a good point that I wasn't considering. But I also think FSU has earned the right to not have to play 'Bama before the title game -- assuming they were to get there. Maybe I just have to shake the BCS process from my own thought process. With allowing teams to play close to home they make seeding irrelevant, so it may just be better to call the teams 'top 4' and list them alphabetically instead of by an arbitrary seeding system.

The common folks understand a seeding system so it is used. The more lofty intellects understand that it doesn't really matter as much as making the best match ups for people to travel to. What matters more is stadiums full of loud crowd followings. FSU fans are NOT known for their travel willingness. If FSU goes to the Rose Bowl, they will get slaughtered.

Despite the game being against Alabama, it is their better opportunity. It is a blessing in disguise.
12-02-2014 11:53 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(12-02-2014 11:35 PM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  This committee is watching 100% of all the games. They aren't getting their info distilled from Sportscenter like most of us. They aren't listening to talking heads or follow traditional poll rules like always having undefeated ahead of 1 loss teams, or not moving teams down if they win. They are consistently rewarding teams for good play and punishing them for marginal play, even when they win. FSU is ranked #5 in the computer composite. It is not just the committee seeing their flaws on film.

If TCU plays poorly against ISU, that will matter. If OSU of Baylor play strongly this week, that will matter. This is far from over. But I am very impressed with thei job they are doing and that was even before this week.

If you really beleive that, I've got some beachfront property in Utah to sell you. If you listen to them talk, that flat out admit certain members have responsibilities to watch certain teams. They are full time employees of their current jobs. If you think all of them are watching all games of all teams, or even all games of just the relevant teams, your are being completely naive.

(12-02-2014 11:44 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(12-02-2014 11:20 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Putting Florida State at 4 is an absolute disgrace and makes me question the neutrality of the committee. What is FSU being punished for that isn't also applicable to those ranked ahead of them? Only Alabama should be ranked ahead of them.

KSU is #9. OU is #20.

Ultimately I think its because FSU repeatedly gets whipped in the first half by mediocre or bad teams (NCSU for example). 6 teams were w/I a TD of FSU. Two others, UL and NCSU had huge 1st half leads before FSU won it in the 4th. And FSU was hardly dominant against UVA (who lead early) or Syracuse. So FSU dominated the Citadel and Wake Forest-2 teams.

There was one common opponent. That's of limited value, but TCU did beat Oklahoma St. 42-9 while FSU squeaked out a 37-31 victory.

Yes, TCU had a nail biter vs. WVU, but so did Alabama, KSU and Oklahoma. And Baylor lost to them. WVU played 4 of the top 10 pretty even, getting outscored in those 4 games by only 3 points.
Bullet you make some good points. But the elephant in the room is being missed. All things are not dual here: one team STILL has no loss. It's one thing to make these judgements if all teams have the same record. It's another to ignore losses. And this is not even being applied uniformly, because if you can put a one loss team ahead of an undefeated team, why does the same logic not hold up for a two loss team over a one loss team? Because prior to the past weekend, UCLA had a MUCH better resume than several one loss teams ahead of it.
12-03-2014 12:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
This comittee is a joke, this "playoff" is a joke, and all you P5 fans b*tching and moaning are a joke. Until the cartel let's EVERYONE have an equal opportunity to the "playoff", and not just a token best of the G5 pity slot, than this "playoff" should be ridiculed. Mercilessly.
12-03-2014 12:52 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Doesn't seem that strength of schedule is the end all be all. Only Alabama is top 10. Oregon is 34, FSU is 49, and TCU is 31.
12-03-2014 12:58 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
I was wondering last week whether someone was calculating simulated BCS rankings for this season. Here it is. It uses the AP poll instead of Harris because there is no Harris poll anymore.

[Image: B35OXpmCQAEAyLn.png]

This was posted on Twitter at https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/...28/photo/1
12-03-2014 01:12 AM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2014 12:52 AM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  This comittee is a joke, this "playoff" is a joke, and all you P5 fans b*tching and moaning are a joke. Until the cartel let's EVERYONE have an equal opportunity to the "playoff", and not just a token best of the G5 pity slot, than this "playoff" should be ridiculed. Mercilessly.

The playoff is far worse for the lower conferences than the BCS for sure. Many currently G5 fans wanted the BCS dead, so I guess it's a case of careful what you wish for.

And that's really interesting, Wedge. I was actually thinking the other day of what the BCS rankings would look like. Thanks for posting. 04-cheers
12-03-2014 01:15 AM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
Like others have said who really cares? The real problem that we have is this addiction we have to what the number before our team is when the season is not even over.

Your making a case for FSU who has gotten through six games with pure luck. What if it runs out against Georgia Tech?

The only ranking from the committee that matters is the one that comes out at the end of the regular season. If they mess up on that please come back and tell us how much they suck.

But there will be a lot of decisive games this weekend that will correct the top 25.
12-03-2014 02:37 AM
Star City Hokie Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Virginia Tech
I think they are trying to avoid having 2 southern teams in the championship game.
12-03-2014 02:54 AM
Advertisement

Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
(12-03-2014 12:10 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(12-02-2014 11:35 PM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  This committee is watching 100% of all the games. They aren't getting their info distilled from Sportscenter like most of us. They aren't listening to talking heads or follow traditional poll rules like always having undefeated ahead of 1 loss teams, or not moving teams down if they win. They are consistently rewarding teams for good play and punishing them for marginal play, even when they win. FSU is ranked #5 in the computer composite. It is not just the committee seeing their flaws on film.

If you really beleive that, I've got some beachfront property in Utah to sell you. If you listen to them talk, that flat out admit certain members have responsibilities to watch certain teams. They are full time employees of their current jobs. If you think all of them are watching all games of all teams, or even all games of just the relevant teams, your are being completely naive.

I do believe that. Through editing, you can condense a game to 20 minutes or less and not miss a play. The average footballl game only has 11 minutes of action, actually. They have staff who edit these games so that they all can watch the important games quickly (and even better, without the biasedTV commentary), just like coaches do preparing for an opponent.

So through editing, you can watch 10 games in the 3 and a half hours a typical game takes in real time.

Heck if these guys have the games loaded up on their laptop or tablet and watch them on the plane to and from the 2-3 hour flights to Dallas each week they can see most of the important action.

These guys are clearly taking this very seriously and it is quite a commitment. They know they are under the microscope. The easy, lazy, not watch the games thing would be to mimic the polls. They are clearly taking this seriously.
12-03-2014 07:17 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Near as I can tell, FSU needs to lose to Ga Tech so they have a quality loss. That should get them back to #1 or 2 again.
12-03-2014 07:51 AM
EerMeNow Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
(12-02-2014 11:44 PM)bullet Wrote:  Yes, TCU had a nail biter vs. WVU, but so did Alabama, KSU and Oklahoma. And Baylor lost to them. WVU played 4 of the top 10 pretty even, getting outscored in those 4 games by only 3 points.

03-puke
12-03-2014 08:15 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt

This is a seriously flawed comment.

1. FSU is t-1st in the BCS computers with Alabama (.9700). TCU is 4th (.8700).

2. FSU faced OK State on a neutral field (that was significantly closer to OSU's campus) with their starting quarterback, Walsh. TCU played at home against OK State and with Walsh out injured.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2014 09:08 AM by Marge Schott.)
12-03-2014 09:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.