Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Top German politician: Ban the burka
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Top German politician: Ban the burka
More countries need to push back; assimilate or leave.

Quote:[Image: ShowImage.ashx?id=265195&h=530&w=758]

Julia Klöckner, a vice president of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union Party, called Monday for a public ban of the full Islamic covering (burka) of women in Germany.

She told the Rheinische Post that, “The burka veil does not represent for me religious diversity, rather a devalued image of women.”

“I am for a ban of the full covering,” she added. There appears to be a political push in Germany to replicate France and Belgium, which have outlawed the burka.

Klöckner’s colleague, CDU deputy Jens Spahn, had also called for a prohibition of the burka. He told Die Zeit, “I cannot accept that women are completely covered and allowed to move in public spaces.”

Read the rest
12-02-2014 10:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Top German politician: Ban the burka
Isn't it pretty "liberal" to want people to change so they fit your perception of what women should look and be like?

Is it any more or less wrong to end up on the opposite side of the public perception spectrum than trashy gutter sluts like Kim Kardashian etc? Why is one somehow empowering while the other is degrading?

If this was in a place where the government was forcing them to wear it I'd agree but when we are talking about these people in Western countries we are telling them to adopt one of our vices or be perceived as backwards.
12-02-2014 10:20 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
It is a public safety issue..like wearing a mask. I hope they succeed in banning this nonsense.
12-03-2014 06:56 AM
CardFan1 Online
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
They could be hiding Bombs or Weapons or be a Man under those things. Ban Them.
12-04-2014 01:59 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
You're always welcome to wear a burka in the Middle East.
12-04-2014 02:16 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Here's one of those slippery slope things. Where does it stop? Niqabs? Hijabs? Head scarves? Kufis? Yarmulkes?

This has nothing to do with safety according to the article. It's that they don't like them.
12-14-2014 08:58 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
My question is: If they're not required to wear a burka in Germany why do this women not put their foot down and say, "heck no, I'm not putting that crap on anymore and if you don't like it, go back to Arabia or wherever and find yourself a woman that will". After she gets herself up from the floor she can charge her husband with abuse...if she has he guts.
12-14-2014 09:19 PM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
I prefer the Ferenge (sp?) on Star Trek. They keep their females naked.
12-16-2014 12:54 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(12-14-2014 08:58 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  Here's one of those slippery slope things. Where does it stop? Niqabs? Hijabs? Head scarves? Kufis? Yarmulkes?

This has nothing to do with safety according to the article. It's that they don't like them.

I suggest that the marketplace step in on this and help force change. Any business transaction that requires identification should be refused to anyone not willing to show their face in public.
12-16-2014 06:37 AM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(12-16-2014 12:54 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  I prefer the Ferenge (sp?) on Star Trek. They keep their females naked.

I haven't seen a Star Trek movie in years. I didn't know Ferenges existed. My question is: If you can't see them naked, how do you know that they are?
12-16-2014 01:33 PM
Advertisement

TStatebobcat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TxSt
(12-14-2014 09:19 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  My question is: If they're not required to wear a burka in Germany why do this women not put their foot down and say, "heck no, I'm not putting that crap on anymore and if you don't like it, go back to Arabia or wherever and find yourself a woman that will". After she gets herself up from the floor she can charge her husband with abuse...if she has he guts.

it will take an unusally strong woman to do all that. That's why I feel a law like that is necessary. No one knows the exact percentage of women who actually want to wear a burka.
12-16-2014 06:58 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(12-16-2014 06:58 PM)TStatebobcat Wrote:  
(12-14-2014 09:19 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  My question is: If they're not required to wear a burka in Germany why do this women not put their foot down and say, "heck no, I'm not putting that crap on anymore and if you don't like it, go back to Arabia or wherever and find yourself a woman that will". After she gets herself up from the floor she can charge her husband with abuse...if she has he guts.

it will take an unusally strong woman to do all that. That's why I feel a law like that is necessary. No one knows the exact percentage of women who actually want to wear a burka.

Yeah, it's probably the same mentality that keeps a woman in an abusive relationship, etc.
12-17-2014 08:08 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
It will be hard to get them out of them because those conservative enough to wear burkas internally mandate it. It's not necessarily the men in their lives who dictate it, it's the older women.
12-17-2014 09:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.