Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How ridiculous is the idea of a G5 four team tournament?
Bookmark and Share
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
How ridiculous is the idea of a G5 four team tournament?
The idea crossed my mind tonight that a G5 tournament might be something worth considering. I have no data to back this up other than the parallels that the NCAA Final Four and NIT tournament have.

And let's be frank in a few years the P5 is going to be a completely different untouchable tier than G5
12-02-2014 12:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

clcfball11 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU!!!
RE: How ridiculous is the idea of a G5 four team tournament?
I think it'd be cool if either the top 2 or even top 4 G5 teams duked it out to get the access bowl.
12-02-2014 12:36 AM
Michael James Offline
1st String

I Root For: Northern
This would be essentially cutting ourselves off from the P5.
12-02-2014 01:15 AM
Advertisement

cagy cager Offline
1st String

Not necessarily--I could envision a format where G5 still sought and could gain a spot in an access bowl--but for those G5's that are left over or if no G5's qualified for an access bowl, they could have their own tournament, kinda like the NIT.........would create more excitement and be fun to watch the Boise's, NIU's, Troy's and whomever duke it out in January at some SUNNY locale
12-02-2014 08:38 AM
cosine4 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
I know I would pay good money to watch those games (attend in the case of NIU). They would probably be much more exciting/meaningful than 90% of the regular bowl games.
12-02-2014 09:46 AM
Advertisement

NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
I'm not sure about four teams but I could definitely see the top two G5 teams playing for a spot on New Year's Day. A game between us and Boise State for example would be great to watch and draw a lot of viewers too. The only issue is that the playoff will probably go from 4 to 8 teams sooner rather than later and the G5 may have a shot at that.
12-02-2014 09:57 AM
NorthernBear Offline
Water Engineer

If they expand the playoffs to 8 or 16 teams why not a play-in game from the top two rated G-5 teams remaining? They could then be the 16th seed going into the playoffs.

Never going to happen, but would make some meaningful seasons.
12-02-2014 10:05 AM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

How ridiculous? Pretty ridiculous.

Do you watch the FBS playoffs? The NIT or the CBI? Frozen Four? Etc etc.

Nothing matters but FBS football and the NCAA Tourney to the paying public. So moving away from taking advantage of our current access to the FBS world and the NCAA Tourney is a slow death spiral into oblivion.
12-02-2014 10:20 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

First you have to understand that the AAC, MWC have many and CUSA has 1bowl game vs P5 teams so they are not going to give that up.

As a NIU in the MAC fan the only thing I would like to see is GO5 #2 vs GO5 #3 at a location that is on the cheaper side to get to (like Atlanta or Dallas) or a destination area with a beach. However, if NIU were in the AAC I would not want to see that because that would take away an opportunity of us playing a P5 team.
12-02-2014 10:46 AM
Advertisement

thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

(12-02-2014 10:20 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  How ridiculous? Pretty ridiculous.

Do you watch the FBS playoffs? The NIT or the CBI? Frozen Four? Etc etc.

Nothing matters but FBS football and the NCAA Tourney to the paying public. So moving away from taking advantage of our current access to the FBS world and the NCAA Tourney is a slow death spiral into oblivion.

I do watch the NIT and routinely catch the FCS championship game when its televised (Also the DIII championship as well). I think with the proper TV coverage, yes this would get more exposure than the FBS Tournament.

I think for as much as we try to read the tea leaves of when and if the FBS splits into two levels, a G5 tournament offers a solution.
12-02-2014 11:58 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
I don't think it'd be cutting things off, no. We're already SET G5 vs G5 bowls existing Anyway, right? It wouldn't be separating G5 from P5... it'd be dismissing auto-conference setups in a couple G5 vs G5 bowls, and instead putting top teams voted on -- and then just ADDING one more for them. That's it! And it wouldn't be a Title for Top G5. You'd still have Top G5 team playing in the Access Bowl!

All it'd be doing is saying "Hey, there's going to be Two bowls that go beyond regular conference alignment. Instead of G5 conf team vs G5 conf team like we already have had, it's going to be the Top #2-#5 G5s. In later December. Oh yeah, the winners are going to play each other in Subsequent Bowl, during the BCS Bowls to add to the excitement of that timeframe."

The Top G5 team would play in the Access Bowl... or in a rare case, the Playoffs. It'd make things exciting to see who makes it to the "other Top 4" after the Access Bowl winner as #1. If Marshall loses to LA-Tech, do THEY make it in the Top 5? Is Marshall totally out then? And BYU & Navy are in on the action every year, too (but still not the Access Bowl requiring a conf champ)! Makes things more exciting.

This Year (assuming things roll as planned):
TOP G5 Boise: Fiesta Bowl

BOCA RATION BOWL [instead of C-USA vs MAC, #1 vs #4]:
#1 Colorado State (10-2) vs #4 Memphis (9-3)

MIAMI BEACH BOWL [instead of American vs BYU, #2 vs #3]:
#2 Marshall (12-1) vs #3 N Illinois (11-2)

Who wouldn't want to see that, with a subsequent matchup bowl a week after New Years? We already have G5 vs G5 bowls set up anyway! This would draw more viewers, and this isn't even a good year for G5s!

This is good because it's NOT a "title" -- it's a Trophy. Why? Because the Top G5 goes to the Access/BCS Bowl. This doesn't "separate" G5 into another football division any more than having G5 vs G5 and P5 vs P5 bowls like we have now, right?

In the MAC, we have WMU vs EMU vs CMU games every year. We recently started the MAC Michigan Trophy of the best. Does that separate them into another MAC division? No. Miami-OH plays Cinci every year for a trophy.

In this case, you just do something fun with bowls. Hell, they add weird meaningless bowls all the time, right? Well, this is 10x better. By keeping the Top G5 in the Access/BCS Bowl, you're Ensuring people won't even see it as "the G5 Title". It's a Trophy based thing and they're exciting games. Much better than a 11-2 MAC team playing a 7-5 Sun Belt team, or a 11-2 MW team playing a 7-5 C-USA team.

IMO, it would be an Awesome MODIFICATION.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2014 12:48 AM by toddjnsn.)
12-03-2014 12:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.