Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Opinions from visiting fans.
Bookmark and Share
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
Now that the season (for some of us) is over, I was wondering what visiting fans thought of various gameday atmospheres. I was really interested in how fans from other schools would rate GS's. Unfortunately I was unable to travel to any SBC away games (was planning on going to the GSU game, but life happens). This can be an overall impression of the visit. Good, bad, something you thought was unique or were surprised to see. Hoping this doesn't turn into too much of a pissing contest and people don't get too mean with their opinions.

Ex:
Went to the GS vs ULM game. Thought there would be more people tailgating or maybe you were impressed with the numbers. The stadium was nice, but hated the loud music. Or maybe something about the food. Just wondering what others thought. Especially since there are so many new teams.

My friends enjoyed going to the GSU vs GS game and were really impressed with their video production for the intros and hype videos.
12-01-2014 03:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gsu_paintballer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GA Southern
Georgia State - enjoyed everything but the Georgia Dome. It sucked the life out of everything because the sound was so bad. Otherwise, it was a great trip.

Texas State - beautiful stadium, surprised by the lackluster crowd. Tailgating was available near the stadium, which was nice. Really had very little run in with TXST fans.

South Alabama - surprised by the lack of support at this one too. The atmosphere felt dead most of the game, but it was not well played by either team so a casual fan would probably have been bored. The stadium was alright, I suppose, but that's not really under their control.

Did not go to NMSU. Of the OOC road trips, I most enjoyed Raleigh, but their fans were some of the rudest I've ever encountered.
12-01-2014 03:59 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
RE: Opinions from visiting fans.
(12-01-2014 03:59 PM)gsu_paintballer Wrote:  Georgia State - enjoyed everything but the Georgia Dome. It sucked the life out of everything because the sound was so bad. Otherwise, it was a great trip.

Texas State - beautiful stadium, surprised by the lackluster crowd. Tailgating was available near the stadium, which was nice. Really had very little run in with TXST fans.
South Alabama - surprised by the lack of support at this one too. The atmosphere felt dead most of the game, but it was not well played by either team so a casual fan would probably have been bored. The stadium was alright, I suppose, but that's not really under their control.

Did not go to NMSU. Of the OOC road trips, I most enjoyed Raleigh, but their fans were some of the rudest I've ever encountered.

Second worst crowd of the season behind the Tuesday night game. Fell on the hardest to sell weekend of the fall (lots of other festivals and stuff going on in the area) and the first home game after the UL blowout. Sucks you got that game but theres at least one every year. Hopefully, your next visit is more in line with a typical TXST crowd. Thanks for the props on the stadium.
12-01-2014 04:09 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
(12-01-2014 04:09 PM)slycat Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 03:59 PM)gsu_paintballer Wrote:  Georgia State - enjoyed everything but the Georgia Dome. It sucked the life out of everything because the sound was so bad. Otherwise, it was a great trip.

Second worst crowd of the season behind the Tuesday night game. Fell on the hardest to sell weekend of the fall (lots of other festivals and stuff going on in the area) and the first home game after the UL blowout. Sucks you got that game but theres at least one every year. Hopefully, your next visit is more in line with a typical TXST crowd. Thanks for the props on the stadium.

I had a few friends that went to the txst game and they absolutely loved it. Said that if we played at txst every year they would go.
12-01-2014 04:13 PM
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama

Unfortunately, when you play as bad as we did in that game, there is not a lot to be excited about. Receivers couldn't catch, defense couldn't tackle, just didn't excite me. That was also our record low attendence, which was pathetic. I hate that you guys didn't get a better experience. Hopefully you will enjoy your next trip to Mobile, and get a chance to eat on the causeway and check out the nearby beaches. Hopefully we will have an OC stadium soon, and the atmosphere will be much nicer.
12-01-2014 04:21 PM
bokobobcat1919 Offline
Sun Belt

(12-01-2014 04:13 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  I had a few friends that went to the txst game and they absolutely loved it. Said that if we played at txst every year they would go.

Glad to hear that.
I wish our crowds were better... and I think they will continue to improve if we can keep winning.

Not to toot our own horn, but San Marvelous is truly a fun place. Gorgeous campus. Lots to do and see... great food. Tons of nearby entertainment options for almost every taste. Hot women everywhere. Heck, as I'm sitting here in Houston thinking about it... kinda wishing I was there right now! haha

anyhow, it's nice to hear that opposing fans have a good time when they visit as well.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2014 04:40 PM by bokobobcat1919.)
12-01-2014 04:26 PM
Advertisement

ericcumbee Offline
Water Engineer

I am hoping that in the next few years the Georgia Southern @ Texas State game will align with either the US Grand Prix at COTA, or the World Endurance Championship round at COTA.

I would love to see an Eagle Win on Saturday and a proper motor race on Sunday. and at a phenomenal venue like Circuit of the Americas no less.

Although It would not surprise me if the schedules were setup to keep that from happening.
12-01-2014 04:27 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

Here is a quote from a guy from ULM on Scout that went to the game, just to prove that our fan base isn't violent and rude to other fan bases as some like to say it is. lol

Quote:Great trip! Didn't see the campus but saw the stadium, facilities, and tailgate.

Tailgate- pretty good amount of people and plenty of hospitality and people offering to feed us. I was rolling with 3 young ladies so that makes things easier lol. They said more people usually there but Thanksgiving changed that but still pretty good amount.
Set up was parking lot style no trees but a lot of people.

Facilities- wow! Top notch they went above and beyond for first year FBS. Added second deck and coaches offices have decks and middle area has all the trophy a HOF ect... Really nice! Met the man who has his name on the endzone complex Ted Smith. Said he lets Willie Fritz use his plane to go recruit players in TX. Nice guy.

Fans are legit and into the game. They had chants back and forth from both sides of stadium. They're loud and proud. Crappy part was watching them
Run on field after they won and announcer encouraging everyone to come down. Listening to them so the SBC presentation sucked for me but good for them.

I encourage our fans to travel there. Nice people and make a Savannah trip out of it.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2014 04:28 PM by NCeagle.)
12-01-2014 04:28 PM
TStatebobcat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TxSt
(12-01-2014 04:27 PM)ericcumbee Wrote:  

I am hoping that in the next few years the Georgia Southern @ Texas State game will align with either the US Grand Prix at COTA, or the World Endurance Championship round at COTA.

I would love to see an Eagle Win on Saturday and a proper motor race on Sunday. and at a phenomenal venue like Circuit of the Americas no less.

Although It would not surprise me if the schedules were setup to keep that from happening.

Hotel prices within a hundred miles of Austin are absolutely ridiculous during that weekend. I remember hearing of people paying $3-400/night with a 3-4 night minimum for a motel 8.
12-01-2014 04:36 PM
GSUhooligan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GA Southern
(12-01-2014 04:36 PM)TStatebobcat Wrote:  

Hotel prices within a hundred miles of Austin are absolutely ridiculous during that weekend. I remember hearing of people paying $3-400/night with a 3-4 night minimum for a motel 8.

Even the Motel 6's are bigger in Texas!
12-01-2014 04:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ericcumbee Offline
Water Engineer

Which is probably why it won't happen. if it did, I'd plan on camping.
12-01-2014 04:52 PM
Advertisement

bokobobcat1919 Offline
Sun Belt

as for me, I didn't make any road trips this year because of work. I live near Houston so I'll definitely be at the TXST-Houston game in 2015.

I'll have almost 3 weeks of vacation time next fall.. so I'm also considering a UL or GS trip depending on the dates (aiming only for weekend games to conserve VT)

also toying with the idea of attending our Florida State opener at Doak Campbell even though it's pretty much a guaranteed butt whooping.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2014 04:57 PM by bokobobcat1919.)
12-01-2014 04:52 PM
KJ Eagle Offline
1st String

(12-01-2014 04:52 PM)bokobobcat1919 Wrote:  as for me, I didn't make any road trips this year because of work. I live near Houston so I'll definitely be at the TXST-Houston game in 2015.

I'll have almost 3 weeks of vacation time next fall.. so I'm also considering a UL or GS trip depending on the dates (aiming only for weekend games to conserve VT)

also toying with the idea of attending our Florida State opener at Doak Campbell even though it's pretty much a guaranteed butt whooping.

If you have the chance, go to FSU. I've been there a couple times. Good fans, nice stadium, lots of hot coeds!!! I try to make it to as many of the big money games as I can, other than UGA. Been to UGA several times and have had bad experiences almost every time. Most other places are very friendly and glad to have us there. GT this year was a great trip. Bama a couple years ago was also pretty great.
12-01-2014 05:11 PM
alpha_eagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
@ USA - made a good 3-day weekend of our visit to Mobile and was presently surprised w/the weather for that time of year. Enjoyed driving down Government St. looking at the old mansions w/moss-draped live oaks; didn't spend too much time downtown but it looks like a good place to find some fun. Liked that we could tailgate right by the stadium; was a bit disappointed w/the crowd but given the sell-out they'd had for the MSST game and the heat/water debacle, I could see why some would stay home. Older stadium but shows nicely...nice, friendly, football savvy fans.

@ GAST - Live in the north Atlanta suburbs so it really wasn't too big a deal. Even if GAST didn't play there I'd still hate the dome. Seats are too small, too close together (front-to-back), and the fixed cup holders are knee bangers. They need the Ted or some other place they can call their own...

@ NMST - Really enjoyed that trip. Stadium is a bit older but still shows very well, and all the NMST fans we met/talked with were very nice. Easier to get to than I'd originally thought. Love the area; would go again in a heartbeat and add a couple more days to do some more exploring.

@ TXST - Sadly missed this game due to an unscheduled work issue, but the wifey went and had a great time. Was looking forward to seeing that stadium probably more than any other on our SB schedule this year.

For those of you who haven't been to either Boone or Statesboro you should plan on making the trip. Boone is a fun little town in a pretty area, just make sure you bring proper clothing for the timing of your visit. As for Statesboro - the town isn't much, but the university and game-day atmosphere more than make up for it. Regardless of the perceived 'annoying' characters herein, we're a pretty laid back bunch and will definitely open our coolers, grills, and smokers for anyone walking by the tailgate.
12-01-2014 05:15 PM
AppMtneer08 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State
(12-01-2014 03:59 PM)gsu_paintballer Wrote:  I most enjoyed Raleigh, but their fans were some of the rudest I've ever encountered.

I can attest to this. I went to the App/NC State game back in 2006.

State fans are breed of their own. They have to live in the shadow of UNC, so anyone that they think they are better than, they will let you know about it and treat you equal to their perception
12-01-2014 06:00 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
I thorough enjoyed every away game that we won. Atmosphere was great.

Every away game we lost? You guys suck.
12-01-2014 06:34 PM
Advertisement

balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-01-2014 04:41 PM)GSUhooligan Wrote:  

Even the Motel 6's are bigger in Texas!

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao love it!
12-01-2014 06:39 PM
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

(12-01-2014 06:00 PM)AppMtneer08 Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 03:59 PM)gsu_paintballer Wrote:  I most enjoyed Raleigh, but their fans were some of the rudest I've ever encountered.

State fans are breed of their own. They have to live in the shadow of UNC, so anyone that they think they are better than, they will let you know about it and treat you equal to their perception

State fans are the most down to earth in the ACC.
12-01-2014 06:47 PM
BurlingtonApp Offline
1st String

(12-01-2014 06:47 PM)DrGonzo Wrote:  

What?!?! I'd say they're perhaps the most delusional out there, besides the Heels of course.
12-01-2014 06:55 PM
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

(12-01-2014 06:55 PM)BurlingtonApp Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 06:47 PM)DrGonzo Wrote:  

What?!?! I'd say they're perhaps the most delusional out there, besides the Heels of course.

I'm not saying they're not awful. But I've had extensive interaction with State, UNC, VT, and UVA grads. VT and State are tolerable. UVA and UNC are not.
12-01-2014 06:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.