Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
UConn Football: Miller Expresses Passion For Game
SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut
UConn Football: Miller Expresses Passion For Game
STORRS -- It was 10 minutes before midnight on Christmas Eve and UConn coach Randy Edsall was out celebrating the holidays, enjoying carolers with his family in his hometown of Glen Rock, Pa., when his cellphone rang.

"I see Jarrell Miller [on caller ID] and I'm thinking, `Uh oh, this can't be good.'" Edsall said.

About a week earlier, the high school All-American from Richmond, Va., had called Edsall to offer his oral commitment. With word spreading that Miller was wavering, Edsall was wondering if the prize of his recruiting class was about to disappear.

"So I pick it up," Edsall said. "And first of all, I don't know how he thinks I'm even going to be up at that time. Usually I'm in bed. So I pick it up and [I] said, `Jarrell, what's up?'" Edsall said. "He said, `I'm just calling to wish you a Merry Christmas.' I said, `Thank you.'"

On Friday at the Burton Family Football Complex, Edsall introduced Miller, one of the most surprising gifts he received over the holiday season.

Miller, a 6-foot-3, 270-pound middle linebacker, was a Parade All-American from Highland Springs (Va.) High School. He went to North Carolina to start the 2006 season, but decided before practices began in August that it wasn't where he wanted to be. He enrolled at Fork Union (Va.) Military Academy to get in a prep school season.

In December, Miller was being pursued by Virginia, South Carolina, Auburn, Alabama and Tennessee. But Miller could see himself at any of those schools.

"I started to panic," Miller said. "I didn't think I was going to go anywhere. I was like talking to Division I-AA schools. I didn't want to settle."

And then one day in December he walked into an assistant coach's office at Fork Union, where UConn assistant head coach for defense Hank Hughes and UConn defensive coordinator Todd Orlando were on a scouting trip. They talked Miller into taking a visit.

"They saw him and they got talking to him about what his situation was, that he was looking for new opportunities, and we just took it from there," Edsall said.

Miller visited Storrs and was taken aback.

"When I got here I was like, `Whoa, this is where I'm coming. This is where I'm going to be in January.'" Miller said. "It was everything. I believe the facilities here at UConn are second to none. The indoor practice field, the weight room, the support system to deal with academics, the campus itself, there's a lot of things that drew me here."

While UConn officials had to do little to convince Miller to choose UConn, others tried to sway his decision.

"Those people I'd see around my neighborhood and where my school is, they'd say, `UConn is a basketball school, you don't want to go there.'" Miller said. "They say things based on what they'd seen on TV, but they don't look at the things on the Internet or come up here and see it with their own eyes. If they see all the things that I'm seeing, they'd say, `That's where I need to be. You need to be at UConn.'

"Where I'm from they mostly talk about the SEC and the ACC and USC and Texas and the big programs. I felt really good about actually doing something different than just doing the things that people want me to do. I was going to do something that I wanted to do for a change."

Miller said UConn has landed a player with a deep passion for the sport on and off the field.

"When I step on that field I go crazy," Miller said. "I start foaming at the mouth. I yell after I make a good play. When my teammates make a play I run to them and yell. ... When I get that big hit, I just like to look at the guys and be like, `Make yourself comfortable down there.' But after the game I'll shake that man's hand.

"I have an attitude toward football. Football has kept me alive. I don't want to disrespect it or take it for granted. You never know, in an instant your ability to play could be gone. You might not see the game again. Every day, anything that's surrounding me I know I could lose in an instant. I don't want to take it for granted. So I go hard every day at it because that could be my last day."

Contact Shawn Courchesne at scourchesne@courant.com.

Read Courchesne's blog at courant.com/uconnfootball.
01-20-2007 11:40 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

uconnbaseball Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Divorce, Rivals
The Parliament Awards

Miller is a 4 star, by the way.

That may not be the only 4 star we get BTW. There's a decent chance we nail Jermale Hines, a 4 star safety with Ohio State, Michigan, WVU, and Iowa offers. He visits next weekend.
01-20-2007 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.