Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NMR: UAB football gets shut down
Bookmark and Share
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
NMR: UAB football gets shut down
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...this-week?

What a horrible situation for UAB fans. They're treated like dirt by the 'Bama board of trustees. The BOT blocked them from hiring Jimbo Fisher when he was abailable, they blocked them from building a much needed on-campus stadium on the basis of not having enough money and then approved a new scoreboard for 'Bama for the same amount as the proposed stadium the next day.

This might affect the MAC. Did any MAC teams have them scheduled? Will C-USA look to the MAC to find their replacement?
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2014 04:45 PM by uakronkid.)
11-30-2014 04:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
RE: MNR: UAB football gets shut down
No MAC teams on UAB's future schedule.

I'm guessing CUSA looks to Sun Belt for the replacement.
11-30-2014 04:33 PM
Kimbosucks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/Boat Drinks
Clark will land on his feet. He has done an admirable job this season. Too bad this is happening to their fans.
11-30-2014 05:32 PM
Frozenbaugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ball State
I could be wrong but I seem to recall they were worried about this years ago.
11-30-2014 06:31 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Sad thing is this is what most people want: G5 teams to shut their doors for D1 for good.
11-30-2014 06:33 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(11-30-2014 06:33 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Sad thing is this is what most people want: G5 teams to shut their doors for D1 for good.

Yes. And I wouldn't be surprised if similar chatter starts happening in OH and MI. A guy from Alabama that I knew was expanding his small business to OH, and he told me that Ohio politics was as bad or worse than Bama.
11-30-2014 06:35 PM
Advertisement

Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(11-30-2014 06:35 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(11-30-2014 06:33 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Sad thing is this is what most people want: G5 teams to shut their doors for D1 for good.

Yes. And I wouldn't be surprised if similar chatter starts happening in OH and MI. A guy from Alabama that I knew was expanding his small business to OH, and he told me that Ohio politics was as bad or worse than Bama.

I'll believe it when I see. They've been saying this stuff for YEARS. Expect the off-season to be really rumor-filled with UAB shutting down now and nothing to come out of it as usual.
UAB is also part of the UA system. Works different then ALL of the MAC schools. We're not affiliated with UofM/MSU and you aren't affiliated with OSU.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2014 06:43 PM by Bronco'14.)
11-30-2014 06:41 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(11-30-2014 06:41 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  UAB is also part of the UA system. Works different then ALL of the MAC schools. We're not affiliated with UofM/MSU and you aren't affiliated with OSU.
This is a key point ... this can't be done with Board of Trustee insider politics in either Ohio or Michigan, since the Boards of Trustees of OSU, MSU or That School Up North do not govern any of the eight MAC schools from those two states.

In Ohio, it'll be about regional balance of power politics, with the MAC having a strong position in three of them ... and if they logroll with UC, a strong position in four out of five.
11-30-2014 07:57 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(11-30-2014 06:41 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  
(11-30-2014 06:35 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  

I'll believe it when I see. They've been saying this stuff for YEARS. Expect the off-season to be really rumor-filled with UAB shutting down now and nothing to come out of it as usual.
UAB is also part of the UA system. Works different then ALL of the MAC schools. We're not affiliated with UofM/MSU and you aren't affiliated with OSU.

Good points, but these changes do take years.

I just don't think things are so linear. There are a variety of ways for MAC programs to get pruned, should Boards of Regents become interested.
12-01-2014 12:20 PM
rocketinchitown Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Also the massive amount of alumni and boosters who'd cry foul.

In no offense to UAB, but they dont have the history that some MAC schools have to help them, plus the previous coaches.
12-01-2014 05:33 PM
ColinApocalypse Online

I Root For: WMU
Sad day whenever a football program gets shut down, especially at this level. Where are the coaches/players going to go? Any speculations?
12-01-2014 05:38 PM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
I believe that the players are free to transfer and play immediately, although the odds of all of them getting a scholarship elsewhere is slim to none. I'd have to think that Clark, with his immediate success and coaching experiences throughout the south, would be able to get another coaching job at the FCS level at least. Hopefully his staff tags along, it's just an unfortunate situation for everyone.

Let's all be grateful that the MAC isn't made up of schools like Michigan-Ypsilanti, Illinois-Dekalb, and Ohio State-Athens, otherwise I'd be getting worried. At least UB is a flagship in the SUNY system.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2014 06:18 PM by Love and Honor.)
12-01-2014 06:17 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(11-30-2014 04:29 PM)uakronkid Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...this-week?

What a horrible situation for UAB fans. They're treated like dirt by the 'Bama board of trustees. The BOT blocked them from hiring Jimbo Fisher when he was abailable, they blocked them from building a much needed on-campus stadium on the basis of not having enough money and then approved a new scoreboard for 'Bama for the same amount as the proposed stadium the next day.

This might affect the MAC. Did any MAC teams have them scheduled? Will C-USA look to the MAC to find their replacement?
In my perfect world UAB Football is not shutdown. But if it does, my next best thing is for the A10 to pick up UAB, the AAC west picks up UTEP and then adds UMass in the east.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2014 06:56 PM by Steve1981.)
12-01-2014 06:55 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(12-01-2014 06:55 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  This might affect the MAC. Did any MAC teams have them scheduled? Will C-USA look to the MAC to find their replacement?
Lucky OhioU looked so unappealing as a prospective add this season ... a move from the MAC to Conference USA may be a lateral move, but a move from the MAC East to CUSA East is probably a step up.

Quote: In my perfect world UAB Football is not shutdown. But if it does, my next best thing is for the A10 to pick up UAB, the AAC west picks up UTEP and then adds UMass in the east.
So the idea there is that UAB added to the A10 is a big enough threat to the American in BBall that they flip flop on staying at 12?

I think if the A10 were to add UAB, there is no domino effect on the American. But it seems like the best that could happen to UAB, given the decision out of Tuscaloosa.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2014 08:24 PM by BruceMcF.)
12-01-2014 08:24 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(12-01-2014 06:17 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  I believe that the players are free to transfer and play immediately, although the odds of all of them getting a scholarship elsewhere is slim to none. I'd have to think that Clark, with his immediate success and coaching experiences throughout the south, would be able to get another coaching job at the FCS level at least. Hopefully his staff tags along, it's just an unfortunate situation for everyone.

Let's all be grateful that the MAC isn't made up of schools like Michigan-Ypsilanti, Illinois-Dekalb, and Ohio State-Athens, otherwise I'd be getting worried. At least UB is a flagship in the SUNY system.

Might be Ohio-Columbus.
12-02-2014 11:29 AM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(12-01-2014 06:17 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  I believe that the players are free to transfer and play immediately, although the odds of all of them getting a scholarship elsewhere is slim to none. I'd have to think that Clark, with his immediate success and coaching experiences throughout the south, would be able to get another coaching job at the FCS level at least. Hopefully his staff tags along, it's just an unfortunate situation for everyone.

I believe they'll still be required to honor their scholarships which was the case when Hofstra and Northeastern disbanded their teams a few years back. I also remember that those who were offered elsewhere were not required to sit out and could play immediately. Some other schools might get some solid dudes for next season.
12-02-2014 01:20 PM
Advertisement

uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
Wouldn't any player who wants to transfer be able to do so with no restrictions and not have to sit out?
12-02-2014 01:21 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(12-01-2014 06:17 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  I believe that the players are free to transfer and play immediately, although the odds of all of them getting a scholarship elsewhere is slim to none.

Confirmed that players (non-scholarship or not) of any discontinued sport are eligible to transfer to any institution and be immediately eligible. How this works when you find your sport is being cut while in season throws a wrench into the situation, however.

My guess is that a UAB player could leave the university today, enroll at a new university tomorrow, and be immediately eligible to play at the new school. How the logistics of that actually happening are beyond me, and probably impossible.

I agree that coming into a scholarship immediately would be difficult but any player worth their mettle would probably receive a scholarship offer in the second year of their time on the team.

Watch for a lot of these players to go FCS and Div II.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2014 01:22 PM by Lord Stanley.)
12-02-2014 01:21 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
I can see CUSA filling UAB's spot with either Georgia Southern or Arkansas State and then the Sun Belt filling their open spot with UMass (as a football only - it would be a lucky break for UMass if they find a landing spot for football but get to keep their other sports in the A-10)
12-02-2014 02:18 PM
EmeryZach Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMASS
^
Sun Belt doesn't need to fill a spot though if they lose a team.
12-02-2014 02:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.