Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the MAC (Men's Hoops) Back?
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
MyBB Is the MAC (Men's Hoops) Back?
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/sag...onference/

Sagarin has the MAC East #11 and West #13.

Not many years ago (I think four) the MAC was ranked #17 overall.

According to the team-by-team rankings, only one MAC school is below the median (I believe there are about 350 D-I schools).

I went through the D-I records (listed by the Sagarins) and the MAC is +14 so far this season.

Except for one school, all are ranked between #87 and 174, which is what most MAC observers who probably say: Very well balanced conference, all most top half of D-I, but no real power house team.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2014 07:57 AM by emu steve.)
11-30-2014 07:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
RE: Is the MAC (Men's Hoops) Back?
A couple weeks ago, I thought yes, the MAC had improved quite a bit, even the bottom from last season...but after this past week, I'm not so certain. My Rockets have led the way in stepping backwards with losses to Detroit and Oakland, and a few other MAC brethren lost what looked like winnable games. Just a bump in the road, or a sign of more disappointment to come?
11-30-2014 10:42 AM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
I believe it is too early to know for sure. Wait until the new year.
11-30-2014 04:37 PM
NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(11-30-2014 04:37 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  I believe it is too early to know for sure. Wait until the new year.

Toledo, Miami, and Kent have had some losses this last week we really needed.
11-30-2014 04:49 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
BG is doing surprisingly well.
11-30-2014 06:29 PM
BullBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Buffalo
UB has brought in seven new players this year and is off to a really good 4-1 start with their only loss coming at #1 Kentucky by 19 points...Looks like there might not be as much of a drop off from last year as we may have thought.
11-30-2014 09:42 PM
Old School Flash Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kent State
My Golden Flashes aren't back. I've seen 4 of our 5 home games and I'm not impressed. We managed to lose twice to less than stellar competition. We're a shell of what we used to be...
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2014 07:06 PM by Old School Flash.)
12-01-2014 07:04 PM
Advertisement

DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Miami is very weak so far. We are only playing 3 returning players in our regular 9 man rotation so far, and nothing looks smooth, everything is a struggle. We may get a lot better later on when the transfers and the freshman get acclimated and when Eustace gets healthy or maybe we are just really bad.
12-01-2014 10:15 PM
NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I don't know if NIU is any better than last year. We do make more free throws so that helps a lot. We still have poor outside shooting most games and consistently fail to finish when driving the lane and getting a layup opportunity, or if we try a shot from 3-5 feet away. Orris will help with ball movement somewhat. We're probably good enough to beat the poor teams.
12-02-2014 01:09 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(12-02-2014 01:09 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  I don't know if NIU is any better than last year. We do make more free throws so that helps a lot. We still have poor outside shooting most games and consistently fail to finish when driving the lane and getting a layup opportunity, or if we try a shot from 3-5 feet away. Orris will help with ball movement somewhat. We're probably good enough to beat the poor teams.

One of your guys on our board says NIU is the prohibitive favorite in the West. He seemed pretty certain of this.
12-02-2014 07:43 AM
Advertisement

niusfactuary Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU,Cubs,Bears

DonatorsSurvivor Runner-up
(12-02-2014 07:43 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(12-02-2014 01:09 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  I don't know if NIU is any better than last year. We do make more free throws so that helps a lot. We still have poor outside shooting most games and consistently fail to finish when driving the lane and getting a layup opportunity, or if we try a shot from 3-5 feet away. Orris will help with ball movement somewhat. We're probably good enough to beat the poor teams.

One of your guys on our board says NIU is the prohibitive favorite in the West. He seemed pretty certain of this.

All teams have delusional people associated with them. Heck just a few days ago your football coach thought they were going to play for a MAC championship.
12-02-2014 09:06 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(12-02-2014 09:06 AM)niusfactuary Wrote:  
(12-02-2014 07:43 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

All teams have delusional people associated with them.

Heck just a few days ago your football coach thought they were going to play for a MAC championship.

Guess, I missed where he said that.
12-02-2014 11:26 AM
LongtimeFan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I believe Ball State is on its way back. In its first four games, 79.4% of its scoring is being done by freshmen and sophomores. And two of their freshmen are the No. 1 and No. 4 scorers in the MAC. Now that won't last, but that's a good thing because one of their best players, Cincinnati transfer Jeremiah Davis, has not yet played due to injury. He is due back early-mid January.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2014 02:40 PM by LongtimeFan.)
12-02-2014 02:33 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
We'll be back when we have a team or teams threatening to enter the top 25 or maybe even have someone beat a ranked team and at least a couple of teams in the top 50 or close once MAC play starts.

Still too early to look at RPI or Sagarin as even broad measures, but they are decent rough tools once everyone has 10 games or so played.

It appears to me that there is more balance across the whole league than there usually is. While that's good for competition, it's probably bad for measuring MAC schools against other conferences.
12-02-2014 02:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.