Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Extremely early college football TV scheduling
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
Extremely early college football TV scheduling
This has no Big East content in it, but it probably affects the Thursday night games and other slots the Big East will be scheduling with.

The PAC-10 goes first

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/scho...lSched.pdf

This is quite interesting.

ESPN snapped up a pair of games and moved them to Thursday nights. Oregon at Arizona on 11/15 and USC at Arizona St. on Thanksgiving night. When ABC signed a new PAC-10 contract, they were able to grab six games for ESPN. FSN is still a cable partner for football and still controls 18 games.

Because of the Thursday games, the conference is scheduled through all 14 weeks of the season. They moved four of the five rivalry games (all except the Apple Cup) to the final Saturday of the season. UCLA-USC is scheduled for ABC. I would suspect that one of the games gets plucked by ESPN as well unless FSN plucks them all, which they may since it appears TBS may be out of the college football business.

Also, the ACC announced that Florida St. will play at Clemson on Labor Day evening.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/sp...07aaf.html

This is a change from recent seasons where Florida St.-Miami opened the year. Both schools asked that the game be moved away from the opening weekend of the season.
01-19-2007 06:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

Arizona-ASU will also be televised by either ESPN or ESPN2 on Championship Saturday.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stor...07aci.html
01-19-2007 07:55 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

Washington@Syracuse will be a Friday, August 31st game on ESPN or ESPN2.
01-19-2007 09:50 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

TexanMark Wrote:Washington@Syracuse will be a Friday, August 31st game on ESPN or ESPN2.

Can you point me to a link regarding that change? Not that I don't trust it, but I always like independent verification of a schedule change. Thanks.
01-19-2007 10:35 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

mattsarz Wrote:
TexanMark Wrote:Washington@Syracuse will be a Friday, August 31st game on ESPN or ESPN2.

Can you point me to a link regarding that change? Not that I don't trust it, but I always like independent verification of a schedule change. Thanks.

Not released, yet. Just put it down on your tracker as tentative. The source is internal at Syracuse.
01-19-2007 11:08 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

There is some conversation about ESPN trying to arrange a game between Oregon State and Cincinnati on Thursday, Sept 6. The game would be played in Cincinnati.
01-20-2007 12:47 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows

mattsarz Wrote:Arizona-ASU will also be televised by either ESPN or ESPN2 on Championship Saturday.

I'd be surprised if that would have any championship relevance
01-20-2007 12:55 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Fanatical Wrote:
mattsarz Wrote:Arizona-ASU will also be televised by either ESPN or ESPN2 on Championship Saturday.

Doesn't matter--TV is looking for some traditional rival games involving conferences not having championships. The Big East will likely have a game that day on ESPN or ABC.
01-20-2007 12:57 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

TexanMark Wrote:
Fanatical Wrote:

Doesn't matter--TV is looking for some traditional rival games involving conferences not having championships. The Big East will likely have a game that day on ESPN or ABC.

It would have to be ESPN. They'll be filled with the ACC and Big 12 title games plus the UCLA-USC final game.

Also, Washington signed a deal to play at Hawai'i in their (and Colt Brennan's) final regular season game.
01-20-2007 07:12 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

WacoBearcat Wrote:There is some conversation about ESPN trying to arrange a game between Oregon State and Cincinnati on Thursday, Sept 6. The game would be played in Cincinnati.

Here's the problem with that. Utah is scheduled to play at Oregon St. on the 8th, although there has been talk of moving the game to opening weekend. I can't see Oregon St. flying out east, especially on a short week.

If Utah-Oregon St. is moved, lets say to a Thursday night in week one, yeah, OSU playing at Cincy the next week on Thursday is very realistic.
01-20-2007 07:15 AM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:

Good luck finding a parking space for that one. I thought SU was refusing to host weeknight games because of the congestion.
01-20-2007 09:06 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

zibby Wrote:

Good luck finding a parking space for that one. I thought SU was refusing to host weeknight games because of the congestion.

Don't school's up North open up AFTER Labor Day?

If so...there would be ZERO HS Games going on that Friday Night. (i.e. Some places in NJ/NY use to play HS Games on Saturday AM's, not Friday nights).

KL
01-20-2007 10:00 AM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:

KnightLight Wrote:
zibby Wrote:Good luck finding a parking space for that one. I thought SU was refusing to host weeknight games because of the congestion.

If so...there would be ZERO HS Games going on that Friday Night. (i.e. Some places in NJ/NY use to play HS Games on Saturday AM's, not Friday nights).

KL

What the Hell does the date high schools open have to do with the fact that there's hardly any parking around the SU campus? 01-wingedeagle

You've obviously never been to SU if you didn't understand what I was talking about. Feel free to just sit this one out.
01-20-2007 10:16 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

KnightLight Wrote:
zibby Wrote:

KL

KL in NJ play both Saturday Afternoon and Friday Night games. And they open before Labor Day too.
01-20-2007 10:37 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

zibby Wrote:
KnightLight Wrote:
zibby Wrote:Good luck finding a parking space for that one. I thought SU was refusing to host weeknight games because of the congestion.

KL

What the Hell does the date high schools open have to do with the fact that there's hardly any parking around the SU campus? 01-wingedeagle

You've obviously never been to SU if you didn't understand what I was talking about.

Ah...that comment about HS's not opening up just yet is a comment from many Big East (and other conference coaches) on their "dislike" in hosting Friday Night Games...as most of the country plays HS Football that night, and the home team can't host any game-day recruits.

I made that comment because many on this board (those that live in the South) may not realize that most HS's up North don't open till AFTER Labor Day, hence...no competition that night if 'Cuse held a home game.

Since I've been to 3 games at the Dome...and had relatives that LIVED close to Cuse, I'm somewhat familiar with parking problems...but just like every other schools/towns/cities, parking is always an issue, regardless when the game is played...but since it would be the Friday before Labor Day Weekend (as a local you would know), many locals take off EARLY on Friday...to hit the Lakes, go to NYC, hit the Mountains, go to Canada, etc...for the long 3 day weekend.

Next time, don't post and be thought a fool, vs posting and removing all doubt.
01-20-2007 10:56 AM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:

I'll try to make this as simple as I can.

1. Finding a parking space during the week while classes are in session = difficult.

2. Finding a parking space when there's a football game = difficult.

1+2 = nightmare
01-20-2007 12:15 PM
Advertisement

Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
Flying Off The Handle
zibby Wrote:
KnightLight Wrote:
zibby Wrote:
brista21 Wrote:
KnightLight Wrote:
zibby Wrote:

KL in NJ play both Saturday Afternoon and Friday Night games. And they open before Labor Day too.

You've obviously never been to SU if you didn't understand what I was talking about.
Ah...that comment about HS's not opening up just yet is a comment from many Big East (and other conference coaches) on their "dislike" in hosting Friday Night Games...as most of the country plays HS Football that night, and the home team can't host any game-day recruits.

I made that comment because many on this board (those that live in the South) may not realize that most HS's up North don't open till AFTER Labor Day, hence...no competition that night if 'Cuse held a home game.

Since I've been to 3 games at the Dome...and had relatives that LIVED close to Cuse, I'm somewhat familiar with parking problems...but just like every other schools/towns/cities, parking is always an issue, regardless when the game is played...but since it would be the Friday before Labor Day Weekend (as a local you would know), many locals take off EARLY on Friday...to hit the Lakes, go to NYC, hit the Mountains, go to Canada, etc...for the long 3 day weekend.

Next time, don't post and be thought a fool, vs posting and removing all doubt.
I'll try to make this as simple as I can.

1. Finding a parking space during the week while classes are in session = difficult.

1+2 = nightmare
This is completely ridiculous. A thread about TV scheduling is getting out of hand because someone does not know how to peacefully interact with other posters? Maybe such disgusting attitudes and derailment of threads are accepted and/or maybe even encouraged on the MAC board, but this is the Big East, and things are different around here on many levels. The same poster is constantly flying off the handle like this and it simply should not be tolerated on this network. There is no excuse for such a filthy behavioral pattern.

1. Are classes in session on Friday, August 31, the potential gameday in question?

2. That would be the case on Friday, Saturday, or any other day, so it is irrelevant.

Your vile response, including the profane "H" word, was completely uncalled for. The moderators are watching you and a lot of the fans who post here are tired of your act. You would be wise to watch yourself and stop attacking people for no reason. If you have an issue with KnightLight from another thread, keep it there, do not drag old hostilities over here and ruin a good topic for the rest of the Big East fans. Most of us try to keep things civil here and a little effort on your part to do the same would help out in that matter.
01-20-2007 02:05 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

zibby Wrote:I'll try to make this as simple as I can.

1+2 = nightmare

You are correct in the parking nightmare but I heard ESPN offered either a Thursday or a Friday night slot as possibilities. Syracuse obviously in the past has said no to weeknight games since the Dome sits squarely in the middle of the campus and they beleive the disruption is too much to justify a weeknight game.

But, SU needs the national TV exposure since their downfall in status. Just speculation on my part: Could not SU ask for a 8PM start time (5 PM Washington Time), cancel classes after 4 pm or so? I heard the biggest logistics issue was lack of busses to move the fans. The NY State Fair is going on a few miles away. I heard that SU officials felt a Friday Night game had less impact on the University than the more prestigious Thursday night slot. We'll see but I heard the University is favoring the Friday night slot.

Zibby: KnightLight said nothing wrong in this thread and didn't deserve your venom
01-20-2007 03:47 PM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:

The "H" word? Seriously? Sorry to offend your tender sensabilities, but your new name is Church Lady.

Quote:[Image: 363775381_71c87f5181_t.jpg]

1. Are classes in session on Friday, August 31, the potential gameday in question?

YES! THAT'S THE FARKING POINT! The stadium is right in the middle of a relatively small campus. Aside from 14,000 students, countless thousands more staff and employees, they're going add 40-50 thousand football fans? There's not enough parking on a normal day!

My understanding is that there is a policy that SU would not host football games on weeknights. Has that changed? Who decided to make that change? What is their reasoning? These are all legitimate questions with relevance to the Big East.

If the moderators feel this board needs cleaning up, they can start by deleting irrelevant posts like yours.
01-20-2007 04:11 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati

WacoBearcat Wrote:There is some conversation about ESPN trying to arrange a game between Oregon State and Cincinnati on Thursday, Sept 6. The game would be played in Cincinnati.

That would be awesome! We need a BCS team on our schedule.
01-20-2007 04:16 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.