Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marshall losing to WKU...
Chef Owl Offline
Stay hungry my friends!

I Root For: The Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
Marshall losing to WKU...
Is that a good or bad thing? Discuss.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2014 11:15 AM by Hambone10.)
11-28-2014 09:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: Marshall loosing to WKU...
Bad. If Marshall had managed to get the access bowl slot, it would have meant more $$ for CUSA, some of which trickles down to Rice. Alternatively, Rice potentially beating Marshall in a CUSA championship game is a better win for Rice if Marshall was undefeated.
11-28-2014 09:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wheredidmypantsgo Offline
All American

I Root For: the Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
well they had better tighten up quick! No more loosing!
11-28-2014 09:53 PM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Online
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(11-28-2014 09:34 PM)mrbig Wrote:  Bad. If Marshall had managed to get the access bowl slot, it would have meant more $$ for CUSA, some of which trickles down to Rice. Alternatively, Rice potentially beating Marshall in a CUSA championship game is a better win for Rice if Marshall was undefeated.

HUGE monetary difference for the conference. Also, it means that should Marshall win the conference championship they will now get the choice CUSA bowl. Had they run the table and been picked as the G5 team playing on New Years day it would have left the choice CUSA bowl for the runnerup. Now, unless we beat both LaTech and Marshall-- both on the road, it looks like we're stuck with either Albaquerque or Hawaii against directional opponents.
11-28-2014 09:55 PM
illiniowl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Bad. It means Walt's cockamamie theory that the playoff committee would eventually have jumped Marshall over Boise if they both won out will now go unrefuted for all eternity. ;-)
11-28-2014 10:22 PM
Advertisement

Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(11-28-2014 09:55 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Now, unless we beat both LaTech and Marshall-- both on the road, it looks like we're stuck with either Albaquerque or Hawaii against directional opponents.

Hey, Walt ... FWIW, bowl projections quoted in another thread earlier this week had us with G5 -- but no "directional" -- opponents in either the Hawaii or New Mexico Bowls.

(11-27-2014 12:03 AM)NYNightOwl Wrote:  3 days to Ruston...
In the meantime, some new projections...

Fox Sports: New Mexico vs. San Diego St.
Sports Illustrated: HOD vs. Rutgers
Scout: HOD vs. Maryland
Phil Steele: HOD vs. Rutgers
CBS: Hawaii vs. Nevada
ESPN HOD vs. Rutgers OR Hawaii vs. Fresno St.
Yahoo: HOD vs. Rutgers
USA Today: Boca Raton vs. Bowling Green

Of course, those are only media projections, which have limited credibility, but do you think Marshall's loss means that those bowls will now go in the directional direction? Or do you really mean "G5" when you write "directional"? (I'm used to you being precise in your discourse, Walt. So I'm understandably confused by the above discrepancy.)
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2014 10:35 PM by Almadenmike.)
11-28-2014 10:34 PM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(11-28-2014 10:34 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  
(11-28-2014 09:55 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Now, unless we beat both LaTech and Marshall-- both on the road, it looks like we're stuck with either Albaquerque or Hawaii against directional opponents.

Hey, Walt ... FWIW, bowl projections quoted in another thread earlier this week had us with G5 -- but no "directional" -- opponents in either the Hawaii or New Mexico Bowls.

(11-27-2014 12:03 AM)NYNightOwl Wrote:  3 days to Ruston...
In the meantime, some new projections...

Fox Sports: New Mexico vs. San Diego St.
Sports Illustrated: HOD vs. Rutgers
Scout: HOD vs. Maryland
Phil Steele: HOD vs. Rutgers
CBS: Hawaii vs. Nevada
ESPN HOD vs. Rutgers OR Hawaii vs. Fresno St.
Yahoo: HOD vs. Rutgers
USA Today: Boca Raton vs. Bowling Green

Of course, those are only media projections, which have limited credibility, but do you think Marshall's loss means that those bowls will now go in the directional direction? Or do you really mean "G5" when you write "directional"? (I'm used to you being precise in your discourse, Walt. So I'm understandably confused by the above discrepancy.)

Well, it pretty well means Marshall gets the HOD if the win the conference championship (and that's the bowl we really, really wanted-- both for location and P5 opponent). IMO, there's little difference from a national interest perception between directional opponents and other G5 schools (e.g., SDS, Fresno State).
11-28-2014 10:41 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
When I see a thread title like this, I have to say - it must be the couch's fault... there must be change.
11-28-2014 10:45 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
It's also notable that CSU lost to AFA this afternoon. Utah State could really change the equation by beating Utah State, thus taking Boise State out of the championship game, and out of the bowl equation. Memphis Utah State would then be the most likely to compete against Marshall for the $$$ slot, should Marshall win the CUSA championship.

According to Russell's rankings page, Marshall is 12, BSU is 14, Memphis is 28, and USU is 30. Should USU beat BSU, then things get interesting, as those rankings may meet in the middle. If Memphis leapfrogs Marshall, who then leapfrogs Memphis after the CUSA championship, then the delay of getting Navy into the conference (and having a championship game) could be costly.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2014 11:01 PM by I45owl.)
11-28-2014 10:52 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(11-28-2014 10:52 PM)I45owl Wrote:  It's also notable that CSU lost to AFA this afternoon. Utah State could really change the equation by beating Utah State, thus taking Boise State out of the championship game, and out of the bowl equation. Memphis Utah State would then be the most likely to compete against Marshall for the $$$ slot, should Marshall win the CUSA championship.

Say what?

And yes I45 - we must do something about that couch.05-stirthepot
11-29-2014 11:15 AM
ranfin Offline
Special Teams

RE: Marshall losing to WKU...
it's like Rice beating Rice.

(11-29-2014 11:15 AM)Antarius Wrote:  
(11-28-2014 10:52 PM)I45owl Wrote:  It's also notable that CSU lost to AFA this afternoon. Utah State could really change the equation by beating Utah State, thus taking Boise State out of the championship game, and out of the bowl equation. Memphis Utah State would then be the most likely to compete against Marshall for the $$$ slot, should Marshall win the CUSA championship.

Say what?

And yes I45 - we must do something about that couch.05-stirthepot
11-29-2014 11:43 AM
Tiki Owl Online
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: Marshall losing to WKU...
Listened to the game driving to Monroe and my impression was that WKU's gameplan was like ours in the championship game. The stretched the field and forced Marshall's D to be spread out opening key runs.
11-29-2014 11:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.