Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC Bowl Outlook
Bookmark and Share
dfn2006 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
MAC Bowl Outlook
If you all see anything that does not look correct let me know - this breakdown took a while but should be complete on who is bowling, who is on the bubble and who is NOT bowling. It looks like Ohio and (potentially) Akron at 6-6 will get left out.

2014-2015 Bowl Game Breakdown
11-26-2014 10:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: MAC Bowl Outlook
Do any of our potential opponents look worthwhile?

I know we have tie-ins with the Sun Belt, CUSA, and MWC.
11-26-2014 12:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(11-26-2014 12:27 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Do any of our potential opponents look worthwhile?

1. Who is a worthwhile opponent?

2. How many of the bowl eligible MAC schools would those schools consider a worthwhile opponent?
11-26-2014 01:10 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Idaho is tough for fans with a good opponent and virtual away game

Bahamas could have Marshall but with passports and travel thats also tough for fans

Boca will have a worthy opponent and is good for florida living alums and vacationers

Godaddy should have a decent opponent but one the MACC would be favored in

Camelia seems like a poorer SBC opponent, but could be a winnable game for CMU or OU or whoever they take.
11-26-2014 02:19 PM
dfn2006 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(11-26-2014 12:27 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Do any of our potential opponents look worthwhile?

Here is the link to our Bowl Central homepage - the bowl projections are updated weekly, the CFB Playoff Standings are listed with a breakdown of the 7 teams in consideration for the Top 4 spots, bowl history is listed for each school, etc. Very complete but always looking to grow the content.
11-26-2014 02:32 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
FWIW, the gossip is that MTSU is the front-runner for the Bahamas Bowl from CUSA.
11-26-2014 03:21 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

Given our OOC performance this year, the MAC is in no position to look down on anyone else.
11-26-2014 04:09 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
I think the point is "worthwhile" for fans to travel or the casual fan to tune in. Honestly i dont want to play texas state or south alabama... These teams havent even been FBS for many years. The teams arent horrible, but name recognition matters when a group of fans is considering spending 1000s of dollars for winter vaca. IMO the Camelia bowl has a bleek outlook for having at least a good name of an SBC school...( stAte, ULL, ULM) id much rather play La tech, MTSU, Marshall, SDSU, Utah State, Boise, Nevada than a Texas State or Georgia Southern (who is actually pretty good)
11-27-2014 09:26 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

MAC Bowl Outlook
All true, but it should also be noted that those schools don't want to play MAC schools either. It's ugly at the bottom of the barrel when you have no teams having notable seasons nationally.
11-27-2014 01:48 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(11-27-2014 09:26 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  I think the point is "worthwhile" for fans to travel or the casual fan to tune in. Honestly i dont want to play texas state or south alabama... These teams havent even been FBS for many years. The teams arent horrible, but name recognition matters when a group of fans is considering spending 1000s of dollars for winter vaca. IMO the Camelia bowl has a bleek outlook for having at least a good name of an SBC school...( stAte, ULL, ULM) id much rather play La tech, MTSU, Marshall, SDSU, Utah State, Boise, Nevada than a Texas State or Georgia Southern (who is actually pretty good)

This is exactly what i mean. I have no interest in paying to see NIU play some Sun Belt school that just moved up to 1-A football. Most of their teams already have four or five losses already.

We need to make more tie-ins with MWC.
11-27-2014 03:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wleakr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Eastern Mich
(11-27-2014 03:09 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  This is exactly what i mean. I have no interest in paying to see NIU play some Sun Belt school that just moved up to 1-A football. Most of their teams already have four or five losses already.

Same as the MAC!!! LOL!!
11-27-2014 09:36 PM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

MAC Bowl Outlook
And I wonder if the MWC wants more tie-ins with the MAC?

Ok, I guess I don't. I think we know.
11-27-2014 10:44 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(11-27-2014 03:09 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  
(11-27-2014 09:26 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  I think the point is "worthwhile" for fans to travel or the casual fan to tune in. Honestly i dont want to play texas state or south alabama... These teams havent even been FBS for many years. The teams arent horrible, but name recognition matters when a group of fans is considering spending 1000s of dollars for winter vaca. IMO the Camelia bowl has a bleek outlook for having at least a good name of an SBC school...( stAte, ULL, ULM) id much rather play La tech, MTSU, Marshall, SDSU, Utah State, Boise, Nevada than a Texas State or Georgia Southern (who is actually pretty good)

This is exactly what i mean. I have no interest in paying to see NIU play some Sun Belt school that just moved up to 1-A football. Most of their teams already have four or five losses already.

That's not happening. Even if (big IF) the MWC was interested, the conference has signed its bowl agreements through the 2019 season. Link
11-27-2014 11:02 PM
Rik Flair Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stAte
Understand that MAC schools don't get excited about playing SBC but as someone pointed out, the feeling is mutual. I honestly don't get how the MAC has managed to get 5 bowl tie-ins. Must be because of population and TV sets. I don't think its based on performance and I know its not based on attendance. The last 3 Go Daddy bowls the stAte fans outnumbered NIU, Kent and Ball State by at least 5 to 1. Figure it will be the same this year in the Go Daddy and the Camellia if they select stAte and South Alabama. I know it's because of the location. Sun Belt schools wouldn't travel that well either out of our region.
11-28-2014 12:51 PM
rocketinchitown Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
I was going to say when FIU and WKU were in the Pizza Pizza Bowl they brought absolutely no one. So it just depends how far your school is, the matchup, and how interesting the match up is

quote='Rik Flair' pid='11448757' dateline='1417197086']
Understand that MAC schools don't get excited about playing SBC but as someone pointed out, the feeling is mutual. I honestly don't get how the MAC has managed to get 5 bowl tie-ins. Must be because of population and TV sets. I don't think its based on performance and I know its not based on attendance. The last 3 Go Daddy bowls the stAte fans outnumbered NIU, Kent and Ball State by at least 5 to 1. Figure it will be the same this year in the Go Daddy and the Camellia if they select stAte and South Alabama. I know it's because of the location. Sun Belt schools wouldn't travel that well either out of our region.
[/quote]
11-28-2014 12:58 PM
Rik Flair Offline
Special Teams

Absolutely. Detroit wasn't a good spot for either. FIU doesn't even attend their own games much less a bowl game. Glad they moved to CUSA.

Last three bowls in Mobile, MAC fans I met were great. They just didn't bring a lot of folks. I think the MAC and SBC are going to have to settle for bowls against G5 conferences. Lower tier P5 schools are afraid to play a game on a neutral field against a good SBC or MAC school. It would burst their arrogant bubble and heir of superiority.

If stAte makes a bowl, and they should with a win tomorrow, I will be happy no matter what MAC school we play. Really don't want Toledo since we are about to start a home and home. It will also be nice to have a coaching staff for once instead of an interim head coach like the last three years. Coach Anderson's buyout is 3 million so he isn't going anywhere this year.

(11-28-2014 12:58 PM)rocketinchitown Wrote:  I was going to say when FIU and WKU were in the Pizza Pizza Bowl they brought absolutely no one. So it just depends how far your school is, the matchup, and how interesting the match up is

quote='Rik Flair' pid='11448757' dateline='1417197086']
[/quote]
11-28-2014 01:28 PM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

NMR: as Marshall is trying to get in one of the diluted top bowls, they are losing to WKU 42-28 and it's only half way through the 2nd pd. Holy cow.
11-28-2014 01:34 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I have no problem with playing a SBC team, if its a strong one. But there are no strong teams in the SBC this season. So an NIU or MAC win over one of them just won't mean much.

But yes, the MAC needs as many postseason wins as it can get. I just like the competition to be tougher.
11-28-2014 02:33 PM
Rik Flair Offline
Special Teams

(11-28-2014 02:33 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  I have no problem with playing a SBC team, if its a strong one. But there are no strong teams in the SBC this season. So an NIU or MAC win over one of them just won't mean much.

But yes, the MAC needs as many postseason wins as it can get. I just like the competition to be tougher.

Sun Belt is a little down this year but so is the MAC. Have any MAC schools had an significant OOC wins? stAte is rebuilding but we did beat a good Utah State team this year. ULM beat Wake Forest. That's about it. It's hard playing you non-conference games against SEC opponents. I know NIU can attest to that.

We will have to wait and see how strong the SBC is when the conferences are matched up against each other in the bowls
11-28-2014 02:49 PM
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
Not looking good for (5-6) Akron. KSU leads Akron 20-10 in the third 04-cheers
11-28-2014 03:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.