Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NEW CFP Poll has Boise State #23, Marshall #24
TampaKnight Offline
Knight Family

I Root For: The American
And so it begins.
11-25-2014 07:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
RE: NEW CFP Poll has Boise State #23, Marshall #24
That must mean that Colorado State is nearby.
11-25-2014 07:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TampaKnight Offline
Knight Family

I Root For: The American
(11-25-2014 07:20 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  That must mean that Colorado State is nearby.

Definitely. Marshall poster on the general board even admitted that if CSU wins out and Boise loses, you'll probably see CSU leap over Marshall based on SOS alone.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2014 07:21 PM by TampaKnight.)
11-25-2014 07:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2014 07:21 PM)TampaKnight Wrote:  
(11-25-2014 07:20 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  That must mean that Colorado State is nearby.

Definitely. Marshall poster on the general board even admitted that if CSU wins out and Boise loses, you'll probably see CSU leap over Marshall based on SOS alone.

Yep. Here is the proof that Boise' only claim to the ranking is their win over Colorado State. Hopefully Utah State will take care of business this weekend so that Colorado State can get the bowl.
11-25-2014 07:25 PM
NothingButKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF, LSU
I'd like to see Utah St beat Boise St, and Colorado St to finish the regular season 12-1 with a MWC championship. They'd easily have a SOS argument over Marshall with games against Colorado, Boston College, Utah St, Air Force, and Boise St.
11-25-2014 07:46 PM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
I can't stand Boise, but will this shut the Marshall fans up on here?
11-25-2014 08:08 PM
Advertisement

mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
(11-25-2014 08:08 PM)tnzazz Wrote:  I can't stand Boise, but will this shut the Marshall fans up on here?

We can only hope.
11-25-2014 08:08 PM
apex_pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
Early in the season, the debate was would a 1 loss AAC team be ranked higher than an undefeated C-USA team. With ECU, we found out that would be the case. Then the question was how much further down was that C-USA team?. It too a long time to find out...waiting week after week. Everyone found out that not only were they a LONG ways down from a then one-loss AAC team, the undefeated C-USA team was also below a two loss MWC team. Even more frightening for C-USA fans is that a team ranked BEHIND them this late in the season (with a loss as well) may leapfrog them.

Losing Louisville was not Marshall's fault. Scheduling so that was their only decent game definitely was. The writing is on the wall. You are about to see G5 scheduling philosophies change across the board.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2014 08:35 PM by apex_pirate.)
11-25-2014 08:11 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
this is clearly a message that they will not let marshall get the bid......they knew CSU didnt control its own destiny so they ranked boise over them by default...

but 7-4 utah over CSU is kinda a joke
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2014 08:39 PM by pesik.)
11-25-2014 08:30 PM
Attackcoog Online

(11-25-2014 08:11 PM)apex_pirate Wrote:  Early in the season, the debate was would a 1 loss AAC team be ranked higher than an undefeated C-USA team. With ECU, we found out that would be the case. Then the question was how much further down was that C-USA team?. It too a long time to find out...waiting week after week. Everyone found out that not only were they a LONG ways down from a then one-loss AAC team, the undefeated C-USA team was also below a two loss MWC team. Even more frightening for C-USA fans is that a team ranked BEHIND them this late in the season (with a loss as well) may leapfrog them.

Losing Louisville was not Marshall's fault. Scheduling so that was their only decent game definitely was. The writing is on the wall. You are about to see G5 scheduling philosophies change across the board.

That will be key going forward. ECU has generally been quite good at scheduling P5's in OOC. So has UCF. The rest of the schools will need to get busy. Houston will have 2 P5 games every OOC for the forseeable future beginning next year. We probably all need to be tying to get at least 2 P5 OOC games a year. Might even make our TV package a little more attractive as well.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2014 08:39 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-25-2014 08:38 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(11-25-2014 08:30 PM)pesik Wrote:  this is cleary a message that they will not let marshall get the bid......they knew CSU didnt controll its own destiny so they ranked boise over them by default...

It's no such thing. It's a message that Marshall is one spot away as of this week -- that's it. Boise still has a regular season game left. Colorado State still has a regular season game left.
11-25-2014 08:40 PM
Advertisement

apex_pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
(11-25-2014 08:40 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  
(11-25-2014 08:30 PM)pesik Wrote:  this is cleary a message that they will not let marshall get the bid......they knew CSU didnt controll its own destiny so they ranked boise over them by default...

It's no such thing. It's a message that Marshall is one spot away as of this week -- that's it. Boise still has a regular season game left. Colorado State still has a regular season game left.

I think pesik is right. If Boise wins out, they get it. If they stumble and CSU wins out, they pass Marshall and get it. Both Boise and CSU have to lose before Marshall gets the bid. The message...with Marshall's SOS, all other G5 contenders must have two or more losses before anyone would give them the nod. It is a pretty CLEAR message.
11-25-2014 08:46 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

i feel comfortable saying, that CSU "coincidently" jumps Marshall if boise losses to Utah state...

this is a message..you are blind if you dont see it...
they have non stop preached SOS for months, they are also very aware however this year goes as year 1 will set the precedent for future scheduling going forward....i dont find it a coincidence that the 1 team that had a remote chance at winning it conference championship with a good resume is ranked higher than marshall.. when no other even remote rankings have that?

last week they openly said they compare G5 when rankng them and this week
the quotes coming out are .."Jeff Long says Boise State's SOS is "far and away" better than Marshall's." this is a message you just dont want to see it..marshall is the scape goat for how to not schedule
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2014 09:18 PM by pesik.)
11-25-2014 08:48 PM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(11-25-2014 08:48 PM)pesik Wrote:  

i fell comfortable saying, that CSU "coincidently" jumps Marshall if boise losses to Utah state...

they have non stop preached SOS for months, they are also very aware however this year goes as year 1 will set the precedent for future scheduling going forward....i dont find it a coincidence that the 1 team that had a remote chance at winning it conference championship with a good resume is ranked higher than marshall? when no other even remote rankings have that?

the quotes coming out are .."Jeff Long says Boise State's SOS is "far and away" better than Marshall's." this is a message you just dont want to see it..marshall is the scape goat for how to not schedule

Yep, it wouldn't surprise me if BSU and CSU lose to see Memphis jump Marshall at this point.
11-25-2014 09:11 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-25-2014 09:11 PM)tnzazz Wrote:  
(11-25-2014 08:48 PM)pesik Wrote:  

i fell comfortable saying, that CSU "coincidently" jumps Marshall if boise losses to Utah state...

they have non stop preached SOS for months, they are also very aware however this year goes as year 1 will set the precedent for future scheduling going forward....i dont find it a coincidence that the 1 team that had a remote chance at winning it conference championship with a good resume is ranked higher than marshall? when no other even remote rankings have that?

Yep, it wouldn't surprise me if BSU and CSU lose to see Memphis jump Marshall at this point.

Sorry, can't see Memphis jump Marshall if they go undefeated. Memphis has UCONN left and I don't see that impressing the committee. The AAC would need a miracle to get the G5 access spot. Right now I imagine the order is the following at the moment.

Boise/CSU if they win the MWC
Marshal if they win CUSA, undefeated.
NIU if all the above lose and they win the MAC,
????
11-25-2014 09:23 PM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

No way NIU gets it over Memphis. They probably won't even win their division so it's a moot point.
11-25-2014 09:28 PM
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
The message is fairly clear and simple, if you are G5 and want the access spot then you must schedule P5 teams. Since this is a clear message, the P5 teams now have a clear message - you can make the terms for those games as onerous as you want and if G5 teams don't like it they can refuse and eliminate themselves from consideration.

All this does is guarantee an increase in supply of G5 games for P5 schools. When you increase supply you decrease price. What does this do to G5 schools? Decreases home games and decreases the price paid for buy games. This only serves to widen the financial gap between G5 and P5. It's a great plan from a committee that is comprised primarily of ADs from P5 programs. It makes their job infinitely easier as teams line up to sign 2-1 and 3-1 contracts with them. They don't have to honor those return games either because if they dick somebody over there will just be another G5 school in line begging for a game.

For the record, I think Marshall, Boise, Colorado State, Memphis and Cincinnati are all really good football teams. Which one is best? I don't know and really neither does anyone else. I do have an issue that the deciding factor appears to be who lost to what P5 school. If Boise's only loss was to Ole Miss or Cincinnati's only losses were to tOSU and Miami, I could buy the argument better. I do have an issue with Boise's loss to Air Force, a team that has a couple of bad losses. I could understand being behind CSU better. A loss to Boise, at Boise, happens to almost everyone who plays there. I understand why they ranked Boise though. If CSU loses to Air Force then Boise is already ahead of Marshall. If Boise loses and CSU wins then they can jump Marshall. Now all they have to worry about is Boise and CSU both losing this weekend because neither will be challenged in their championship game.
11-25-2014 09:31 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2014 09:31 PM)banker Wrote:  The message is fairly clear and simple, if you are G5 and want the access spot then you must schedule P5 teams. Since this is a clear message, the P5 teams now have a clear message - you can make the terms for those games as onerous as you want and if G5 teams don't like it they can refuse and eliminate themselves from consideration.

All this does is guarantee an increase in supply of G5 games for P5 schools. When you increase supply you decrease price. What does this do to G5 schools? Decreases home games and decreases the price paid for buy games. This only serves to widen the financial gap between G5 and P5. It's a great plan from a committee that is comprised primarily of ADs from P5 programs. It makes their job infinitely easier as teams line up to sign 2-1 and 3-1 contracts with them. They don't have to honor those return games either because if they dick somebody over there will just be another G5 school in line begging for a game.

For the record, I think Marshall, Boise, Colorado State, Memphis and Cincinnati are all really good football teams. Which one is best? I don't know and really neither does anyone else. I do have an issue that the deciding factor appears to be who lost to what P5 school. If Boise's only loss was to Ole Miss or Cincinnati's only losses were to tOSU and Miami, I could buy the argument better. I do have an issue with Boise's loss to Air Force, a team that has a couple of bad losses. I could understand being behind CSU better. A loss to Boise, at Boise, happens to almost everyone who plays there. I understand why they ranked Boise though. If CSU loses to Air Force then Boise is already ahead of Marshall. If Boise loses and CSU wins then they can jump Marshall. Now all they have to worry about is Boise and CSU both losing this weekend because neither will be challenged in their championship game.

LOL. Whatever.

The CFP just put a 2 loss team that isn't even that good above Marshall. Hell, you must have figured it out by now that if Colorado State wins on Friday and Boise State loses on Saturday; that Marshall still isn't getting the Access bowl.

What should have you and the MWC folks upset is that the AAC would be getting the Access Bowl if all of it's top teams didn't have 3 losses. The AAC had a team ranked at 6-1, while it took Marshall to 11-0 to get ranked; and Marshall is still not higher ranked than the AAC representative was.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2014 09:46 PM by PirateMarv.)
11-25-2014 09:38 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(11-25-2014 08:30 PM)pesik Wrote:  this is clearly a message that they will not let marshall get the bid......they knew CSU didnt control its own destiny so they ranked boise over them by default...

Damn skippy. C'mon Utah State.... if we'd only handled our business vs Boise. 03-banghead
11-25-2014 09:41 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(11-25-2014 09:31 PM)banker Wrote:  The message is fairly clear and simple, if you are G5 and want the access spot then you must schedule P5 teams. Since this is a clear message, the P5 teams now have a clear message - you can make the terms for those games as onerous as you want and if G5 teams don't like it they can refuse and eliminate themselves from consideration.

I'm sorry but this is a ridiculous claim. Plenty of G5 teams can still get 1 and 1 with P5's.
11-25-2014 09:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.