CMU reprimanded for no handshakes
11-24-2014 09:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

I Root For: WMU
RE: CMU reprimanded for no handshakes
Pretty rough for Titus not to show more class towards his little brother's squad.
11-24-2014 09:41 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

(11-24-2014 09:41 PM)Hiller4Hyz09 Wrote:  Pretty rough for Titus not to show more class towards his little brother's squad.

Same for the older Cherocci brother.

Strange that 2 of their captains have little brothers on WMU's football team. You would think they would be a little more respectful.
11-24-2014 09:47 PM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
That'll be a pleasant holiday season.
11-24-2014 09:52 PM
BCBronco Offline
All American

(11-24-2014 09:47 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  
(11-24-2014 09:41 PM)Hiller4Hyz09 Wrote:  Pretty rough for Titus not to show more class towards his little brother's squad.

Same for the older Cherocci brother.

Strange that 2 of their captains have little brothers on WMU's football team. You would think they would be a little more respectful.

Agree, very odd.
11-24-2014 10:16 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:That'll be a pleasant holiday season.

No, Corey will have fun with it. "Sorry, I misunderstood the whole thing. You wanted to shake MY hand for out-receiving you at the end of the game..."
11-24-2014 10:30 PM
Advertisement

Kimbosucks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/Boat Drinks
So no fine like the B1G?

True will be a strange holiday.

I think next year when they come to our place we should give them a hug and a gift basket at the coin toss. Then beat the **** out of them and start a long winning streak against them.
11-24-2014 10:33 PM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
I honestly think too much gets made of the no handshake thing in general. Is it bad sportsmanship? Of course it is. But sportsmanship is like character, class, and manners; you either have it or you don't. You learn it over years, mostly from you parents. Shouldn't be a violation of rule or law, or punishable by anyone but mommas and pops.

If you want to shake someones hand, do so. If you don't, that's no more than a representation of yourself. I can see many situations where there would be very legitimate reasons to refuse to shake another players hand before or after a game. And, even more circumstances where you should. But either way, it should be the players choice. I can watch it and judge for myself whether I think it was classless, or a poor reflection on the players' character; as I do in this case, but that's where the judgment should end.

It is what it is.

There I go again, bucking conventional wisdom.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2014 07:20 AM by brovol.)
11-25-2014 07:18 AM
Kimbosucks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/Boat Drinks
I think pj is right on with this one. You dont have to respect your opponent but you must respect the game you have devoted most of your life to. The handshake happens at every level from pop warner to the NFL. Respect is big in football.
11-25-2014 07:33 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Just plain stupid on their (CMU captains) part.

Especially after seeing what happened to Fighting Turtles.
11-25-2014 08:00 AM
BCBronco Offline
All American

Quote:You learn it over years, mostly from you parents. Shouldn't be a violation of rule or law, or punishable by anyone but mommas and pops.

You are absolutely right, values, norms, principles, character, class, respect , work ethic, determination and attitude are primarily learned at home from moms and dads. And that is where those things should be learned.

Unfortunately, increasingly more and more kids are being raised in single parent households where the custodial parent is not around a lot perhaps working two jobs, or the parent themselves did not learn values, character, class or perhaps work ethic when they were raised. So what they are passing on their children are not the kind of things that maybe you and I will pass on to our children. For example, in 1970 almost 85% of children were raised in two parent households. The number is dropped today to about 65%. Even more shocking, about 40% of children are born to unwed mothers.

So while you are correct that is where those things should be learned, the quality of parenting across our country is uneven at best and absent at worst.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2014 08:06 AM by BCBronco.)
11-25-2014 08:04 AM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
^ Imagine teachers having to deal with classrooms full of kids from that kind of background, and being held responsible for their performance on tests-achievement.
11-25-2014 08:09 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I like the show of sportsmanship via hand shakes or fist bumps or whatnot pre and post game. It's a good display in a game - and that's really all it is, a game - in a society riddled with violence and cruelty in the news.

But brovol hit it out of the park. I'm not sure I agree with punishments and fines for not shaking hands, and "forcing" people to exhibit niceties. Kind of defeats the purpose. It should happen organically and because the desire is there, and I think social disapproval and shame are powerful enough weapons when it doesn't happen.
11-25-2014 08:20 AM
brovol Offline
Heisman

(11-25-2014 07:33 AM)Kimbosucks Wrote:  I think pj is right on with this one. You dont have to respect your opponent but you must respect the game you have devoted most of your life to. The handshake happens at every level from pop warner to the NFL. Respect is big in football.

I agree 100%. My point is that the respect is something the kids must have. If they don’t, they don’t. I don’t think you can legislate respect for the game. You can teach it as a coach, but that is a team thing.
11-25-2014 08:41 AM
brovol Offline
Heisman

(11-25-2014 08:20 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  I like the show of sportsmanship via hand shakes or fist bumps or whatnot pre and post game. It's a good display in a game - and that's really all it is, a game - in a society riddled with violence and cruelty in the news.

But brovol hit it out of the park. I'm not sure I agree with punishments and fines for not shaking hands, and "forcing" people to exhibit niceties. Kind of defeats the purpose. It should happen organically and because the desire is there, and I think social disapproval and shame are powerful enough weapons when it doesn't happen.

I always like when people agree with me (lol), but you are spot on. Said it better than I did.
11-25-2014 09:04 AM
BCBronco Offline
All American

(11-25-2014 08:09 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  ^ Imagine teachers having to deal with classrooms full of kids from that kind of background, and being held responsible for their performance on tests-achievement.

Exactly right, I'm very surprised our legislative and policy branches don't seem to get this. Teachers are unfairly vilified.
11-25-2014 09:05 AM
Advertisement

brovol Offline
Heisman

(11-25-2014 08:04 AM)BCBronco Wrote:  
Quote:You learn it over years, mostly from you parents. Shouldn't be a violation of rule or law, or punishable by anyone but mommas and pops.

You are absolutely right, values, norms, principles, character, class, respect , work ethic, determination and attitude are primarily learned at home from moms and dads. And that is where those things should be learned.

Unfortunately, increasingly more and more kids are being raised in single parent households where the custodial parent is not around a lot perhaps working two jobs, or the parent themselves did not learn values, character, class or perhaps work ethic when they were raised. So what they are passing on their children are not the kind of things that maybe you and I will pass on to our children. For example, in 1970 almost 85% of children were raised in two parent households. The number is dropped today to about 65%. Even more shocking, about 40% of children are born to unwed mothers.

So while you are correct that is where those things should be learned, the quality of parenting across our country is uneven at best and absent at worst.

I hear you brother, and I know you have expertise in this area, so no argument. I just think it’s an individual thing.

Besides, while I would be the first guy to shake hands with my opponent, and actually believe that is one of the great feel-good benefits of sports, and particularly rivalries, I can imagine there could be a person who I just couldn’t shake their hand if they were opposite me on the field. Someone who did something very bad to my family, or something like that.
11-25-2014 09:17 AM
BCBronco Offline
All American

^ Was watching Mike and Mike for a minute with Herm Edwards, who is great. What struck me was how both Golic and Herm talked about lessons learned from their dads about sportsmanship and conduct and how important that was to both of them. Both talked about passing on those lessons to their children. What struck me is how those lessons stayed with both men. What occurred to me was how casually they discussed parenting and took it for granted. I wish all kids had those kinds of parents. I know you've seen a ton of chit in your courtroom in the parenting area that would shock most.
11-25-2014 09:25 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
Enos is a no nonsense guy. He'll handle it. 03-no
11-25-2014 09:37 AM
brovol Offline
Heisman

(11-25-2014 09:25 AM)BCBronco Wrote:  ^ Was watching Mike and Mike for a minute with Herm Edwards, who is great. What struck me was how both Golic and Herm talked about lessons learned from their dads about sportsmanship and conduct and how important that was to both of them. Both talked about passing on those lessons to their children. What struck me is how those lessons stayed with both men. What occurred to me was how casually they discussed parenting and took it for granted. I wish all kids had those kinds of parents. I know you've seen a ton of chit in your courtroom in the parenting area that would shock most.

Honest to God, the stuff I see every single week in my Family Court is stuff that if I shared you all would not believe, and I am not exaggerating even slightly. I told this to my family once during a holiday visit and my sister decided to visit me and sit in on court. She was blown away, and if wasn’t even a day with my real bad cases.

Unless you literally experience it firsthand there is no way you can believe or appreciate just how horrible some parents are. Way beyond horrible. Both neglect and abuse. And they breed their children to be the same way. Thus generations of horror.
11-25-2014 09:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.