Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Honest Question
Bookmark and Share
What Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Tigers
Exclamation Honest Question
I am sure I can search here for why we will never get an on campus stadium. I am not against the LB. But what besides winning will help attendance? I believe some would-be fans are just sold against the LB.
11-24-2014 02:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
RE: Honest Question
Money
11-24-2014 02:19 PM
Mick Light Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
The city would never allow an on campus stadium.
11-24-2014 02:20 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(11-24-2014 02:20 PM)Mick Light Wrote:  The city would never allow an on campus stadium.

Those things just aren't done here?
11-24-2014 02:21 PM
What Offline
Water Engineer

(11-24-2014 02:19 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  Money

Will the deep pockets come out? or do they do all they can?
11-24-2014 02:22 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
1. No room.
2. Not enough parking.
3. Don't want to bother the neighbors.
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(11-24-2014 02:20 PM)Mick Light Wrote:  The city would never allow an on campus stadium.

They said the same thing about Tulane.
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

Lapides says we need to shut up about it. So does Mike Rose.
11-24-2014 02:23 PM
What Offline
Water Engineer

I do remember switching from Tim McCarver to Autozone. night and day. The LB is nowhere near the bad shape McCarver was. But I do know attendance picked up. Now I am not sure how it stands (attendance) at autozone.
11-24-2014 02:26 PM
Mick Light Offline
Banned

The city would play the, "you know where you get your utilities" card like when they strong-armed us into the pyramid fiasco.
11-24-2014 02:27 PM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .
The Heary (sp?) report is an interesting read. Still not sure why it is not considered seriously, would be a great thing. Plus the way stadiums are designed now, no reason it can't have expandable seating for the Liberty Bowl while providing a cozy, loud and loyal 40K madhouse of screaming Tigers fans.

If it's cash, totally get that. Every stadium thread we've had put the numbers on a stadium as a huge number. Costs of materials are going through the roof (I've had millwork costs on projects go up 20% in two months recently here) and rising fuel costs and labor costs are driving cost in construction pretty high right now.

So I get cash as a reason, but the political stuff should be able to be handled by a deft and reasonably solid AD's office. Since we have that in place, I'd think this is under consideration long term, but not a short term priority for many reasons.

As usual, just a hunch, not an insider and I know nothing.
11-24-2014 02:27 PM
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(11-24-2014 02:23 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  Lapides says we need to shut up about it. So does Mike Rose.

It does seem to be a moot point after the addition of Tiger Lane. I don't really care what Lapides or Rose think, but Brad Martin was opposed to it and the new president hasn't weighed in publicly. In a perfect world in would be nice to have, but I just don't see it happening in the next 20 years.
11-24-2014 02:28 PM
What Offline
Water Engineer

Kinda what we talked about at the game, too many people getting paid and too much red tape.
11-24-2014 02:28 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(11-24-2014 02:27 PM)Mick Light Wrote:  The city would play the, "you know where you get your utilities" card like when they strong-armed us into the pyramid fiasco.

Shoulda built a domed stadium downtown instead of the Pigamid. Btiger was right
11-24-2014 02:29 PM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

(11-24-2014 02:26 PM)MemTiger90 Wrote:  

Bingo. We could have 200 million laying around and the city would find a way to prevent it from happening. The city would lose out on the money they make with us using the LB. Our city leaders are always looking for free money from somewhere. They would lose that free money if we built our own place. Our city became corrupt a few decades ago and will stay that way until correct leadership is put in place. Which will never happen bc of our demographic. Take that as you wish

If something is wanted and there is the will and finances to happen, it happens. There is a deal to be made, always, if the powers that be want something.

I would assume the cost in political capital and money is too high now, but I fully assume our AD's office probably has this as a long term consideration.

I'd guess it's a perennial back burner issue that will be executed if the stars align.
11-24-2014 02:29 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(11-24-2014 02:26 PM)MemTiger90 Wrote:  

Bingo. We could have 200 million laying around and the city would find a way to prevent it from happening. The city would lose out on the money they make with us using the LB. Our city leaders are always looking for free money from somewhere. They would lose that free money if we built our own place. Our city became corrupt a few decades ago and will stay that way until correct leadership is put in place. Which will never happen bc of our demographic. Take that as you wish

The city ain't making money on the Liberty Bowl. It costs them WAY more to operate it than they receive in rent. Financially, razing the Liberty Bowl would be the best option for the city.
11-24-2014 02:30 PM
Advertisement

Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

(11-24-2014 02:29 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  
(11-24-2014 02:27 PM)Mick Light Wrote:  The city would play the, "you know where you get your utilities" card like when they strong-armed us into the pyramid fiasco.

Ugh, domes suck. Bad, bad, bad. Gotta be open air. Retractable dome fine, but the added cost is nutty.

I always wonder when Memphis is going to chase a MLS team...
11-24-2014 02:31 PM
Mick Light Offline
Banned

Shoulda built a domed stadium downtown instead of the Pigamid. Btiger was spot on.

fixt
11-24-2014 02:31 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(11-24-2014 02:31 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  

Ugh, domes suck. Bad, bad, bad. Gotta be open air. Retractable dome fine, but the added cost is nutty.

I always wonder when Memphis is going to chase a MLS team...

Think Final Four with a dome
11-24-2014 02:32 PM
covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

Donators
In my personal opinion, there is no validity to the Liberty Bowl keeping people from coming to games. Attendance is 100% related to success. There are only 20,000 die-hard fans who buy season tickets. We have to get that ticket base up to 30,000 or 35,000. Winning teams playing good football will draw more people.

I don't think that you suddenly get 40,000 or 45, 000 fans who are willing to endure some rain, some cold, a holiday weekend, etc. to attend. "If you build it, they will come" applies in this case to a football program, rather than a stadium.

IMHO, an on-campus stadium would have little impact. If the University had 25,000 resident students living on campus, then it would be different. However, this coming game (Thanksgiving weekend) would have few students attending, no matter how you slice it.
11-24-2014 02:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.