WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN shadowing Fleck today
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
Anyone else heard this? Probably prep for Fridays NIU game I assume.
11-24-2014 08:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BCBronco Offline
All American

RE: ESPN shadowing Fleck today
(11-24-2014 08:43 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  Anyone else heard this? Probably prep for Fridays NIU game I assume.

Cool, and he's off and running.
11-24-2014 08:54 AM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

I am going to re-iterate my position here about Fleck leaving before the end of his contract...

I HONESTLY do NOT think he leaves anytime soon. This is two fold:

1. I think he's definitely turning heads in the P5 world... you don't make a 1-11 turnaround into a 8-3 team without making a few waves in coaching circles. However, this is just ONE season for the guy... he's still considered a losing coach... his overall record is still 9-14 as a head coach. I think teams out there with deep pocket books are going to wait on this a little before jumping the gun....

2. PJ Fleck is the BIGGEST PJ FLeck fan on the planet. He's not going to take an early offer from a low tier P5 team because PJ Fleck knows that he's going to take WMU to places that are going to bring the HUGE PAYCHECKS! He's more confident in himself than ANYONE. This is a huge tell with regard to how he want's this whole story to pan out. PJ Fleck wants a MAC Championship... period. I would bet somewhere on his bucket list there is a line item that reads.. "I want to win a championship at every level I head coach".... Therefore... we are stuck with him until we win the MAC Championship... and by stuck... i mean thankful to have him that long...

I am so excited for this Friday.... I can barely contain myself... I am so glad that I have been rowing since day one... I feel like my rowing techniques are much improved!!! GO BRONCOS!!!!
11-24-2014 09:02 AM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

oh... and I am gong to damn near bet that he takes on a contract extension before our bowl game... I am CERTAIN that he's hearing things from recruits about how long he plans to stay at WMU and that he's leveraging the athletic department, Kathy and Pres. Dunn to get something written up that he can provide to these kids to show some loyalty to the program... It's the smart thing to do for both sides... protects Flecks's recruiting strategy and protects WMU in the event he gets poached before the end of his time here...
11-24-2014 09:04 AM
BCBronco Offline
All American

(11-24-2014 09:02 AM)flushtheherd Wrote:  I am going to re-iterate my position here about Fleck leaving before the end of his contract...

I HONESTLY do NOT think he leaves anytime soon. This is two fold:

1. I think he's definitely turning heads in the P5 world... you don't make a 1-11 turnaround into a 8-3 team without making a few waves in coaching circles. However, this is just ONE season for the guy... he's still considered a losing coach... his overall record is still 9-14 as a head coach. I think teams out there with deep pocket books are going to wait on this a little before jumping the gun....

2. PJ Fleck is the BIGGEST PJ FLeck fan on the planet. He's not going to take an early offer from a low tier P5 team because PJ Fleck knows that he's going to take WMU to places that are going to bring the HUGE PAYCHECKS! He's more confident in himself than ANYONE. This is a huge tell with regard to how he want's this whole story to pan out. PJ Fleck wants a MAC Championship... period. I would bet somewhere on his bucket list there is a line item that reads.. "I want to win a championship at every level I head coach".... Therefore... we are stuck with him until we win the MAC Championship... and by stuck... i mean thankful to have him that long...

I am so excited for this Friday.... I can barely contain myself... I am so glad that I have been rowing since day one... I feel like my rowing techniques are much improved!!! GO BRONCOS!!!!

Oddly enough I agree with you
11-24-2014 09:06 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Very well said flush... completely agree.
11-24-2014 09:10 AM
Advertisement

flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

Here's another thought I had about compensation for the guy... He's doing things at WMU with regard to the program at every level than any coach I have seen in kalamazoo... He's a talker... he's an energy guy and he can market anything he feels passionate about.... He's already brought in quite a few dollars since he's been here and if he keeps winning those numbers are going to multiply... If I am KB... I make it worth his while and put a ridiculous percentage of ROI on those dollars that go right back to Fleck... he can choose how he wants to spend that money... We can cap a salary at a certain number and let him sell himself... literally to make the rest... If the community loves Fleck... they will pay to keep him here. I think Fleck could pull that off... just a thought. If he honestly thinks he can bring championships that are larger than the program to Kalamazoo... then by all means... pay the guy to do it.

Probably a pipe dream... but a little outside the box thinking ... might level some of the playing field a little with regard to dollars.
11-24-2014 09:12 AM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BetterCall Saul
I'm still up in the air on how long I think he will stick around. For various reasons that make me lean both ways.

REASONS HE WOULD GET AN OFFER AND LEAVE:
1. Some that I have spoken with have expressed their opinion (notice I used that this is an opinion not stating fact) that he has no intention of being here any longer than he has to be. He wants to win and go big.
2. The turn around that has taken place in 1 season is remarkable and right now, the Broncos might be playing the best football in the MAC. That is going to start to get people taking notice.
3. He has shown his ability to recruit and change a culture quickly.

REASONS HE WOULDNT GET THAT OFFER (YET):
1. History has shown that MAC coaches get those offers once they have actually won something i.e. MAC Title. Or at a minimum get to the title game. The odds are very slim that either is going to happen this season. So I don't think he checks that box off the list quite yet.
2. If a lower P5 is looking for coaches, I don't know that they jump on one that though he has had a great season this year, ultimately still has a losing record and they might want to see another year to see if this trend continues or if its a one year wonder.
3. I think flush has made a very astute point regarding where PJ actually wants to get to. Is taking a job at an Illinois, Purdue, Indiana level Big 10 school...yes I know these aren't all open, but I'm making the point about the level.... ultimately where he wants to get to? As we have seen with Beckman at Illinois and maybe Hazel at Purdue, taking over a dog P5 program is not an easy task to turn around and keep that job very long. Maybe he feels like if he sticks around for 3 or 4 or 5 years and has big time success, then a better job comes along i.e. Brian Kelly and Butch Jones to Cincinnatti, or Urban Meyer to Utah, where they could win and parlay to bigger and better things.
4. He is having massive recruiting success at WMU by plucking the low hanging fruit from the lower tier Big 10 schools. If he is able to keep getting 3 star guys that may have been the 3rd choice for Purdue/Indiana/Illinois etc. he is going to keep on getting top MAC talent. Lets say he goes to an Illinois, is he going to be able to recruit that next tier of talent away from the true big boys? I'm just not sure that you can steal the 3rd option from Ohio St or Michigan St (notice I didn't include UofM in that) and hope to then be able to go compete with those same schools, because they will have gotten the 1st and 2nd options. PJ is recruiting kids right now that are above the normal MAC level. If he goes to a P5, he is going to be recruiting kids that are at best the same level and most likely, a step below the conference contenders simply because he's taking over a conference also ran.
5. If he were to leave, does he bring his new lady friend along? I actually met her Saturday at the game. (this is also not opinion, its fact, I actually met her...no names will be posted on this or any other thread) she kinda reminded me of Elvira, remember her? I couldn't decide if I thought she was scary or hot. Anyways I digress, my point is, is he making certain personal connections that might keep him here longer for some reason? My guess is if its at all serious, he just brings whoever along, as that's the life of a football coach always on to the next job.

Ultimately, I don't think PJ is going anywhere just yet. I think the P5 guys are going to want to see another year of success to see if it can be sustained. Personally, I see absolutely no reason for KB and Dunn to need to renegotiate anything at this point. They made a pretty significant commitment financially to him and the program when he came in. If he has another great year next year and they feel its important to try and keep him around, then maybe. But if it gets to that point, the P5 money is something WMU will never be able to compete with anyways, so why spend more now when you have him under contract and really don't need to. The only argument I see, is flushes last one regarding what kind of statement it makes for recruits, but I think it foolish now for WMU to commit more money when ultimately there are still going to be 3 years left on his contract. If he wins and gets looks from bigger opportunities, he is going to go regardless of if we give him a bit of a bump after this year. If he takes a step back, then you have committed more money for absolutely no reason. Just my opinion.

No need to worry about it anyways. Beat NIU Friday and go win a bowl game. And let the chips fall where they may.
11-24-2014 09:29 AM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:No need to worry about it anyways. Beat NIU Friday and go win a bowl game. And let the chips fall where they may.

Well... the chip's already fell... they fell hard on their faces in front of their home crowd. And it was beautiful. Oh... wait... I see what you mean. Still just grinning ear to ear about Saturday.
11-24-2014 09:35 AM
Cant make this sh t up Offline
2nd String

I appreciate all the time and effort Flush and Waldo put into their thoughts. I agree totally with both of them in regards to Fleck. He is about proving to all the "ney sayers" that RTB and all the other "goofy" things he does actually has creates a successful winning environment practically in 12 months. Proving to people in year #2 that...he can actually coach, and develop players. That is his personality, he is not going to have people tell him "he cant". Cant isn't in his vocabulary...that just adds fuel to his fire.
As I have said before he will want to stay and see this thing through...having a MAC Championship under his belt will be the key.

Everyone keeps talking about next years schedule and how his record wont be as good as this year? I know we play MSU, and Ohio State...but look at what the MAC has returning...WMU should be favored to win the MAC next year...then as history has shown with MAC coaches Fleck will then be gone when he does so.
11-24-2014 11:18 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Quote:Everyone keeps talking about next years schedule and how his record wont be as good as this year? I know we play MSU, and Ohio State...but look at what the MAC has returning...WMU should be favored to win the MAC next year.

It will come down to us and Toledo.
11-24-2014 11:35 AM
Advertisement

flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

I still think Fleck has quite a bit to finish here at WMU... I don't get the feel from him that he's literally using WMU as a ladder, and the shorter the ladder the better. He just doesn't give off that kind of energy at this point. He seem's to be bought into this program 100%... and as sure as I am about his goals for this program, I do think he has larger career aspirations... just not on the timeline that we here are fearing....
11-24-2014 11:37 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

It's certainly starting to feel that way
11-24-2014 11:45 AM
ChuckNorris Offline
1st String

I Root For: Row The Boat
(11-24-2014 12:30 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  ESPN "shadower" will have to try mightily to avoid tripping over Hokey.

Troll.05-nono
11-24-2014 12:39 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
(11-24-2014 11:35 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  
Quote:Everyone keeps talking about next years schedule and how his record wont be as good as this year? I know we play MSU, and Ohio State...but look at what the MAC has returning...WMU should be favored to win the MAC next year.

Uh, hello? Because NIU loses what, exactly?
11-24-2014 12:50 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Don't argue with the expert, 7.

He's schooling Kimbo on how Major College football programs work apparently, too.
11-24-2014 12:55 PM
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

WMU should be right up there with NIU and Toledo next year. There's no reason to believe they won't be. Fleck's shown to be a competent in game coach this year and his recruiting speaks for itself.

How you would overlook a team that's going for their 5th straight division championship on Friday is beyond me, though.
11-24-2014 12:57 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(11-24-2014 12:50 PM)7 Wrote:  

Yeah, I don't think NIU is in the race next year.
11-24-2014 01:55 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(11-24-2014 01:55 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  

Because they're one of the youngest teams in the country this year (younger than WMU) and that spells bad things for next year orrrr?
11-24-2014 01:57 PM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-24-2014 01:57 PM)7 Wrote:  
(11-24-2014 01:55 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  

Because they're one of the youngest teams in the country this year (younger than WMU) and that spells bad things for next year orrrr?

We play NIU on the road next year... AND Toledo... I don't understand the logic behind thinking NIU won't be a factor in the West next year... they are always going to be a factor in my book until the point in which they have proven they aren't...
11-24-2014 02:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.