That is all.
11-23-2014 02:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AdoptedMonarch Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: No more onside kicks!!!!
(11-23-2014 02:34 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  That is all.

We were laughing about it in our section -- that BW would actually catch opposing teams by surprise if he ever had them kick it deep.
11-23-2014 03:52 PM
First time Long time Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ODU
Plisco had it down to a science. These guys aren't him.
11-23-2014 03:52 PM
Monarch_Pride Offline
Baze! Baze! Baze! Baze!

Brown****

Plisco was a hell of a punter
11-23-2014 03:53 PM
paintedblue Offline
All American

You had better take up with a different team then. lol. That is something that BW is always going to use.
11-23-2014 03:55 PM
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
(11-23-2014 03:55 PM)paintedblue Wrote:  

You had better take up with a different team then. lol. That is something that BW is always going to use.

Maybe but I doubt it. He uses them to try and keep possessions away from our opponents offense. As our "D" gets better he will use them less and less. I think you will eventually see him only using them in the usual situations (end of game - got to get the ball back to score/win) or maybe as a rare surprise to catch someone off guard. Like any good coach he adjusts his strategy to the needs of the team and the game. Btw, if we have the better defense we are all hoping for next year don't expect to see any clock eating, slow down, drives like the one in the 3rd quarter either. On the other hand if you are right and we continue to do them next year and continue to fail, we can always boo.
11-23-2014 04:06 PM
Advertisement

Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

(11-23-2014 03:52 PM)First time Long time Wrote:  Plisco had it down to a science. These guys aren't him.

You mean Jarod Brown?
11-23-2014 04:58 PM
GO_MONARKS Offline
1st String

Did the west stands cheer sarcasticlly when we did kick it normally?

Seemed like onside kicks worked out in FCS but not so much (if ever) in FBS.
11-23-2014 05:54 PM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
We will continue to onside kick. Telling Bobby Wilder to not kick onside is like telling Eric Clapton not to do a 10 minute guitar lead.
11-23-2014 05:55 PM
LuckyLion Offline
1st String

The trick stuff, like the onside kick (except at the end of the game, where it is expected), Wilder has explained is something he does when he feels like he needs to "steal possessions" to win. I was not one bit surprised at the ones he did, yesterday. I was in heavy agreement with him that they would have to steal a few to win that game. Fortunately, we were both wrong. I can't remember if it was the first or second one, I took one look at the personnel and the field and called it as an onside kick. As the team gets stronger, he will go to it less frequently. It was great when it worked! Jarod Brown had become the all time onside kick master. I had heard the Lions' initial interest in him was because of that. Didn't he successfully recover one at Pitt, last year? Did we do it at ECU? I know he did it at UNC. Can't remember if it was successful, but I feel like it was. This year's kickers just haven't been able to execute it. We had the one really close one at NC State, but that's the closest to success it has been all year.
11-23-2014 06:07 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

He has four kickers on the roster and is bringing in more next season. It is only a matter of time until he teaches one of them how to kick them properly. Also I'm certain they have been teaching Shuler how to punt.
11-23-2014 06:09 PM
Advertisement

First time Long time Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-23-2014 04:58 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  
(11-23-2014 03:52 PM)First time Long time Wrote:  Plisco had it down to a science. These guys aren't him.

You mean Jarod Brown?

I stand corrected.
11-23-2014 06:13 PM
LuckyLion Offline
1st String

(11-23-2014 06:09 PM)ODUR8R Wrote:  He has four kickers on the roster and is bringing in more next season. It is only a matter of time until he teaches one of them how to kick them properly. Also I'm certain they have been teaching Shuler how to punt.

How did we manage to have such an embarrassment of riches at Kicker/Punter early on and struggle so much, since then? I knew replacing Plisco and Brown would be tough, but figured that was an area they were very skilled in coaching, since they found such amazing guys in the beginning, and there wouldn't be that big of a drop off. I was wondering if Shuler could punt? Can David Washington?
11-23-2014 06:16 PM
ODUMONARCHZ1 Offline
Heisman

(11-23-2014 06:16 PM)LuckyLion Wrote:  
(11-23-2014 06:09 PM)ODUR8R Wrote:  He has four kickers on the roster and is bringing in more next season. It is only a matter of time until he teaches one of them how to kick them properly. Also I'm certain they have been teaching Shuler how to punt.

How did we manage to have such an embarrassment of riches at Kicker/Punter early on and struggle so much, since then? I knew replacing Plisco and Brown would be tough, but figured that was an area they were very skilled in coaching, since they found such amazing guys in the beginning, and there wouldn't be that big of a drop off. I was wondering if Shuler could punt? Can David Washington?

Well it didn't help that our starting kicker got hurt earlier in the season, then our punter moved to kicker then a freshman, so it'll take a while for the freshman kicker we have to get it together with onside kicks.
11-23-2014 06:57 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

Shuler can punt!!! His father allowed him and his brother to punt in games.
11-23-2014 07:48 PM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
(11-23-2014 07:48 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  Shuler can punt!!! His father allowed him and his brother to punt in games.

There is hope. Kinda like the quarterback having that extra weapon.
11-23-2014 08:21 PM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Brown was awesome at it. Hareza did them as well. Yes, we recovered one at UNC.

These guys just aren't good at it yet
11-23-2014 09:13 PM
NCDad Offline
Water Engineer

(11-23-2014 09:13 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Brown was awesome at it. Hareza did them as well. Yes, we recovered one at UNC.

These guys just aren't good at it yet
I also think the onside kicks were done to take away from LT's return game. After the second one, they pretty much abandoned setting up any real return. Their kickoff returner is one of the best in the conference and by us forcing their players to move up changes the blocking schemes. I do think that our kickoff coverage has gotten much better after the bye week. I haven't felt like we were close to having them returned for touchdowns like I did early in the season.

As for the onside kicks, I'm sure the freshman punter and the jc player didn't practice them in the summer before arriving on campus. Maybe this is something that Jarod can help with in the summer if he is still in the area and work with our kickers.
11-24-2014 09:44 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

That is something to keep in mind with risk reward for our special teams. I'm not sure our average, but rarely to we hold them inside their 30 yard line. So, is the onside kick worth losing maybe 10-25 yards of field position? Its an interesting thought.
11-24-2014 10:07 AM
FTW ODU Offline
1st String

(11-23-2014 05:54 PM)GO_MONARKS Wrote:  Did the west stands cheer sarcasticlly when we did kick it normally?

Seemed like onside kicks worked out in FCS but not so much (if ever) in FBS.

I know my section cheered when we kicked it off normally.
11-24-2014 10:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.