Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coaches poll
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Coaches poll
Coaches move Alabama to #1.

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/foo...ches-poll/

Ole Miss drops to #19. Minnesota, Louisville, Clemson and Boise move in at the bottom of the poll. UCLA jumped KSU. Rest just moved up in order.
11-23-2014 01:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
RE: Coaches poll
So, you're saying that the athletic-department interns who vote the "coaches" ballots think that FSU should have beaten BC by a wider margin.
11-23-2014 01:50 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
What do you think the chances are that Louisiana Tech's (7-4; lost to Northwestern State & Old Dominion) votes are from coaches/SIDs/Interns who just assumed Louisiana Tech won and aren't even aware they lost to Old Dominion this weekend?
11-23-2014 07:32 PM
BoiseStateOfMind Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BSU & Seahawks
Ranked in the coaches' poll and the AP in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year... not bad for a "dead program" whose "glory years are over," eh?
11-23-2014 11:44 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(11-23-2014 07:32 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  What do you think the chances are that Louisiana Tech's (7-4; lost to Northwestern State & Old Dominion) votes are from coaches/SIDs/Interns who just assumed Louisiana Tech won and aren't even aware they lost to Old Dominion this weekend?

The year Texas lost 66-3 to UCLA, they were still ranked in one of the polls. UT had a good win the next week and got zero votes in that poll.
11-23-2014 11:55 PM
BirdstheWord Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ISU
(11-23-2014 01:37 PM)bullet Wrote:  Coaches move Alabama to #1.

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/foo...ches-poll/

Ole Miss drops to #19. Minnesota, Louisville, Clemson and Boise move in at the bottom of the poll. UCLA jumped KSU. Rest just moved up in order.

Marshall dropped.
11-24-2014 01:50 AM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
The final Four will be a lot less dramatic than folks believe. Assuming these four win out...

1. Alabama
2. Florida State
3. Oregon
4. Ohio State

Pretty sure the committee will seed Ohio State ahead of Miss State and the Big XII schools when they are B1G champs. This adds four of the five P5 conferences minus the Big XII. (Get a championship game. You won't move up when you are off on championship week.)
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2014 01:45 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
11-24-2014 01:43 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(11-24-2014 01:43 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  The final Four will be a lot less dramatic than folks believe. Assuming these four win out...

1. Alabama
2. Florida State
3. Oregon
4. Ohio State

Pretty sure the committee will seed Ohio State ahead of Miss State and the Big XII schools when they are B1G champs. This adds four of the five P5 conferences minus the Big XII. (Get a championship game. You won't move up when you are off on championship week.)

+1

My money is on this outcome
11-24-2014 01:46 PM
USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

I Root For: South Florida
(11-24-2014 01:46 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  
(11-24-2014 01:43 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  The final Four will be a lot less dramatic than folks believe. Assuming these four win out...

1. Alabama
2. Florida State
3. Oregon
4. Ohio State

+1

My money is on this outcome

Exactly and thus the party planners are forming to place the chairs in the center of the room for yet another rousing rendition of musical conferences. 04-cheers
11-26-2014 06:50 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(11-24-2014 01:43 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  Get a championship game. You won't move up when you are off on championship week.

I hear this pretty often. I"m sorry Medic, you're a good poster and I'm taking this out on you. But this is a fershlugginer stupid thing to say. Every Championship Weekend, the Big 12 has games on TV.

This year it's:

Baylor-Texas Tech
TCU-Iowa State
Kansas-Kansas State
Oklahoma-Oklahoma State
(I just realized that Texas and WVU _are_ actually off on Championship Weekend).

Oklahoma-OSU was supposed to be the money matchup this year, and you'd have expected Baylor-Texas Tech to mean something, but it didn't work out that way. too.
11-26-2014 07:13 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(11-24-2014 01:43 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  Get a championship game. You won't move up when you are off on championship week.

I hear this pretty often. I"m sorry Medic, you're a good poster and I'm taking this out on you. But this is a fershlugginer stupid thing to say. Every Championship Weekend, the Big 12 has games on TV.

This year it's:

Baylor-Texas Tech
TCU-Iowa State
Kansas-Kansas State
Oklahoma-Oklahoma State
(I just realized that Texas and WVU _are_ actually off on Championship Weekend).

Oklahoma-OSU was supposed to be the money matchup this year, and you'd have expected Baylor-Texas Tech to mean something, but it didn't work out that way. too.

But the "not playing on championship week" is almost as dumb as pro-Ohio State/Big Ten media complaining about SEC's November FCS games, as if playing FCS in September is somehow better than FCS in November.
11-26-2014 07:14 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-26-2014 07:14 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

This year it's:

Baylor-Texas Tech
TCU-Iowa State
Kansas-Kansas State
Oklahoma-Oklahoma State

But the "not playing on championship week" is almost as dumb as pro-Ohio State/Big Ten media complaining about SEC's November FCS games, as if playing FCS in September is somehow better than FCS in November.

None of those games are anything like a Conference Championship game. 07-coffee3

While everybody else is playing for a title the Big12 is effectively just sitting around.
11-26-2014 07:26 PM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(11-26-2014 07:26 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

This year it's:

Baylor-Texas Tech
TCU-Iowa State
Kansas-Kansas State
Oklahoma-Oklahoma State

None of those games are anything like a Conference Championship game. 07-coffee3

While everybody else is playing for a title the Big12 is effectively just sitting around.

Just waiting to see the out roar when Mississippi State is the 4th Team over Ohio State, Baylor and TCU...07-coffee3
11-26-2014 07:49 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I think OSU will slide in at the very end. Sitting around playing for nothing is something Miss State and the Big12 teams have in common; its a disadvantage to all of them.
11-26-2014 07:52 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(11-26-2014 07:52 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I think OSU will slide in at the very end. Sitting around playing for nothing is something Miss State and the Big12 teams have in common; its a disadvantage to all of them.

This coming from the person giving out +1's to someone who thinks I am deluded for saying Ohio State likely slides in.

How very hypocritical of you. Caught red handed.
11-26-2014 07:53 PM
He1nousOne Offline

(11-26-2014 07:49 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(11-26-2014 07:26 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

This year it's:

Baylor-Texas Tech
TCU-Iowa State
Kansas-Kansas State
Oklahoma-Oklahoma State

Just waiting to see the out roar when Mississippi State is the 4th Team over Ohio State, Baylor and TCU...07-coffee3

You know nothing about politics if you think that MSU remains in the 4th spot at the end.
11-26-2014 07:54 PM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline

This year it's:

Baylor-Texas Tech
TCU-Iowa State
Kansas-Kansas State
Oklahoma-Oklahoma State

Yes, we all know about the Big 12's weak attempt to try to mitigate the power of the Championship games. The fact that the Big 12 goes this far with their scheduling shows that they are lying through their teeth when they say that Championship games don't matter.

They are an attempt to mitigate the power of those Championship games but by no means do they mitigate them.

The power of a Championship game to the Committee isn't just about the match up. It is about the MOMENT and answering that moment. It is about how a team plays in a game that is bigger than a simple regular season game. It gives them an idea about how those teams will respond in a similar situation which the Playoff games would be.
11-26-2014 07:57 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(11-26-2014 07:52 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I think OSU will slide in at the very end. Sitting around playing for nothing is something Miss State and the Big12 teams have in common; its a disadvantage to all of them.

Something that Mississippi State does not have in common with the Big 12 is the opportunity to play a creampuff schedule outside their division. The Bulldog's OOD lineup this year:

Southern Miss (3-8)
UAB (5-6)
South Alabama (6-5)
Kentucky (5-6)
UT-Martin (6-6 FCS)
Vanderbilt (3-8)

Not exactly Murderer's Row. I'll grant that the SEC West is a tough division, and probably the toughest division in the FBS. But the SEC plays the scheduling game better than anybody else, and with ESPN's strong help, they also play the expectations game pretty well, too.

I seriously doubt it will happen, but it's not unthinkable that the SEC could finish the year with only one team with fewer than three losses, with that one being the two loss team that didn't have to play in a CCG. That would sure change the ESPN's talking heads' discussion about the value of a CCG pretty fast.

The question is, in such an unlikely scenario, would the SEC still place a team in the playoff because of their superior SOS?
11-27-2014 01:38 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-27-2014 01:38 PM)ken d Wrote:  

Something that Mississippi State does not have in common with the Big 12 is the opportunity to play a creampuff schedule outside their division. The Bulldog's OOD lineup this year:

Southern Miss (3-8)
UAB (5-6)
South Alabama (6-5)
Kentucky (5-6)
UT-Martin (6-6 FCS)
Vanderbilt (3-8)

Not exactly Murderer's Row. I'll grant that the SEC West is a tough division, and probably the toughest division in the FBS. But the SEC plays the scheduling game better than anybody else, and with ESPN's strong help, they also play the expectations game pretty well, too.

I seriously doubt it will happen, but it's not unthinkable that the SEC could finish the year with only one team with fewer than three losses, with that one being the two loss team that didn't have to play in a CCG. That would sure change the ESPN's talking heads' discussion about the value of a CCG pretty fast.

The question is, in such an unlikely scenario, would the SEC still place a team in the playoff because of their superior SOS?

Well, you pretty much summed it up in your own post. Miss State didn't get the advantage of playing a "cream puff" conference schedule like the Big12 teams.

To your last point, I'd say it's highly doubtful, and rightfully so.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2014 02:46 PM by HeartOfDixie.)
11-27-2014 02:44 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(11-26-2014 07:57 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

This year it's:

Baylor-Texas Tech
TCU-Iowa State
Kansas-Kansas State
Oklahoma-Oklahoma State

Yes, we all know about the Big 12's weak attempt to try to mitigate the power of the Championship games. The fact that the Big 12 goes this far with their scheduling shows that they are lying through their teeth when they say that Championship games don't matter.

They are an attempt to mitigate the power of those Championship games but by no means do they mitigate them.

The power of a Championship game to the Committee isn't just about the match up. It is about the MOMENT and answering that moment. It is about how a team plays in a game that is bigger than a simple regular season game. It gives them an idea about how those teams will respond in a similar situation which the Playoff games would be.

No, its actually about last impressions. The Big 12 tries to have some high profile games the last weekend.
11-27-2014 02:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.