Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Attendance
Bookmark and Share
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Attendance
reported at 15,793. probably not more than 11-12,000 there.

disappointing and a sign that our fans base is vastly overrated. You can't even call them fairweather. to me, that doesn't imply temperature as it does in other instances (like playing golf - a FWG), but for the casual fan who stays away when we are losing and shows up when winning. Well, we are winning. And atttendance is still going backwards.

i understand it was cold. i understand it was a noon kick. i understand students were leaving for break. but IMO, that is not enough of an excuse for having such a low turnout. the alumni side was way empty too.

All the other usual excuses were not evident yesterday:

a) we have not had a home game in weeks
b) UVa and Tech stink
c) we are not losing
d) we are not playing a boring style of football

The team is hot, winning, plays exciting football....and yet, attendance has still steadily declined the last few years, and significantly declined as this year has gone on, DESPITE the team playing very well.

very disappointing.
11-23-2014 06:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Attendance
With HS playoffs, I didn't get home Friday til 12:30am. Just didn't have it in me. Mostly because it was Elon.
11-23-2014 06:45 AM
atljmualum Offline
All American

Attendance
(11-23-2014 06:29 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  reported at 15,793. probably not more than 11-12,000 there.

disappointing and a sign that our fans base is vastly overrated. You can't even call them fairweather. to me, that doesn't imply temperature as it does in other instances (like playing golf - a FWG), but for the casual fan who stays away when we are losing and shows up when winning. Well, we are winning. And atttendance is still going backwards.

i understand it was cold. i understand it was a noon kick. i understand students were leaving for break. but IMO, that is not enough of an excuse for having such a low turnout. the alumni side was way empty too.

b) UVa and Tech stink
c) we are not losing

The team is hot, winning, plays exciting football....and yet, attendance has still steadily declined the last few years, and significantly declined as this year has gone on, DESPITE the team playing very well.

very disappointing.

Could it be the fact that we are still FCS/CAA and playing a small private school, Elon, that is now part of the CAA and is 1-10? I'm not trying to start a whole FBS vs FCS argument or solicit a "you are the worst" response from Dirty (btw, "worst" implies there is no one worse, but, Dirty, you seem to not understand that since Newbill, Dukeman, myself and others are all individually "the worst" according to you), but just wondering if what many feared is coming true.
11-23-2014 07:28 AM
HolyCityDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: Duke Doge
Attendance
(11-23-2014 07:28 AM)atljmualum Wrote:  
(11-23-2014 06:29 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  reported at 15,793. probably not more than 11-12,000 there.

b) UVa and Tech stink
c) we are not losing

very disappointing.

Could it be the fact that we are still FCS/CAA and playing a small private school, Elon, that is now part of the CAA and is 1-10? I'm not trying to start a whole FBS vs FCS argument or solicit a "you are the worst" response from Dirty (btw, "worst" implies there is no one worse, but, Dirty, you seem to not understand that since Newbill, Dukeman, myself and others are all individually "the worst" according to you), but just wondering if what many feared is coming true.

I'm thinking the same as well.
11-23-2014 07:48 AM
JMUETC Offline
1st String

RE: Attendance
I believe the low attendance was primarily the result of 3 things:

1) a game against an inferior opponent which JMU was expected to win by a lot
2) the high probability that JMU will host a playoff game next Saturday (in other words, pick one)
3) the students having already left. I suspect this impacted some some season ticket holders who might otherwise have come to visit their kids.

Moving forward, JMU needs to think about a solid rivalry game for the last home game. Had that beem Richmond, W&M or ODU, I think there would have been a few more folks there.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2014 08:42 AM by JMUETC.)
11-23-2014 07:56 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Attendance
(11-23-2014 07:28 AM)atljmualum Wrote:  Could it be the fact that we are still FCS/CAA and playing a small private school, Elon, that is now part of the CAA and is 1-10? I'm not trying to start a whole FBS vs FCS argument or solicit a "you are the worst" response from Dirty (btw, "worst" implies there is no one worse, but, Dirty, you seem to not understand that since Newbill, Dukeman, myself and others are all individually "the worst" according to you), but just wondering if what many feared is coming true.

As someone who's met Newbill, I can vouch that he's not at all the worst. Dirty's just on some shtick.

ALL THAT SAID, INTERNET DUKEMAN IS DEFINITELY THE WORST.
11-23-2014 08:22 AM
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Attendance
(11-23-2014 07:56 AM)JMUETC Wrote:  Moving forward, JMU needs to think about a solid rivalry game for the last home game. Had that beem Richmond, W&M or ODU, I think there would have been a few more folks there.

It's gross that we're playing Elon to close out the year during rivalry weekend. I realize we can't schedule W&M or RU, so we need to play an OOC game that weekend against someone we care about IMO.
11-23-2014 08:24 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Our fans care more about being home for 9 straight days then showing up to an FCS game over the holidays. This is no new trend. We've been doing it for the entire decade i've been a fan.
It was bad when JMU started giving students a full week off for thanksgiving. The students started leaving even earlier than in prior years and weren't going to come back for a game.

Elon was also our worst opponent, so I understand the most apathy for them. It was an expected cupcake blowout. We have a potential home playoff game next week that some fans would want to save their time for that than go to two straight home games.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2014 08:40 AM by Potomac.)
11-23-2014 08:39 AM
JMUETC Offline
1st String

(11-23-2014 08:24 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(11-23-2014 07:56 AM)JMUETC Wrote:  Moving forward, JMU needs to think about a solid rivalry game for the last home game. Had that beem Richmond, W&M or ODU, I think there would have been a few more folks there.

It's gross that we're playing Elon to close out the year during rivalry weekend. I realize we can't schedule W&M or RU, so we need to play an OOC game that weekend against someone we care about IMO.

Yep. Part of the challenge, discussed AD nauseam is that JMU probably has a hard time identifying someone we care about who will also come to BFS every other year, who is currently not in the CAA. It was ODU, possibly could have been ASU, perhaps it could be LU. I don't know anymore. Also, by the time we get it scheduled 3-5 years out it could change again.
11-23-2014 08:40 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

b) UVa and Tech stink
c) we are not losing

very disappointing.

So let me get this straight. Attendance has declined?

Can you explain this then:
2013 avg - 21,011
2014 regular season avg - 21,171

I'd say that's technically a slight increase, really breaking even.
You forgot that attendance studies have shown that more often then not, your current season attendance is a product of the prior season's performance. People don't typically drop their plans last minute just because a team gets hot, while they will consider it next season, knowing that last year's team was good. We're still overcoming the 6-6 record from last year. This doesn't change over night.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2014 08:48 AM by Potomac.)
11-23-2014 08:45 AM
bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

Even if we move to FBS I don't expect the attendance around Thanksgiving to be that great. It won't be THIS bad but I still don't expect Bridgeforth to be close to a sell out.
11-23-2014 08:57 AM
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-23-2014 08:57 AM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  Even if we move to FBS I don't expect the attendance around Thanksgiving to be that great. It won't be THIS bad but I still don't expect Bridgeforth to be close to a sell out.

Exactly. The ODU game also had a poor turnout for the same reason. People are only leaving home for thanksgiving break for in-state BCS rivarly games (VT-UVA). Anything less and most are going to choose to pass.
I hate it, but it's reality. ODU has the benefit of their stadium being right down the road from where most of their fans live.
11-23-2014 09:11 AM
GeoJMU Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU, CMU
Attendance
(11-23-2014 08:24 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  

I talked to two casual jmu football fans - they usually go to a couple of games- and asked if they were going. Both said not to see us play Elon. That's got to be a big part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-23-2014 09:12 AM
JMU1987UVA1998 Online
1st String

(11-23-2014 07:48 AM)HolyCityDuke Wrote:  
(11-23-2014 07:28 AM)atljmualum Wrote:  

b) UVa and Tech stink
c) we are not losing

very disappointing.

I'm thinking the same as well.

Give it up. All of you pro-FBS lovers think it would have been packed for a game against a directional MAC team. Hate to say it but it wouldn't be any better attendance-wise.

I was there. I cheered and even moved to Godwin side at halftime to sit in the sun.
11-23-2014 10:56 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Attendance
(11-23-2014 10:56 AM)JMU1987UVA1998 Wrote:  Give it up. All of you pro-FBS lovers think it would have been packed for a game against a directional MAC team. Hate to say it but it wouldn't be any better attendance-wise.

I was there. I cheered and even moved to Godwin side at halftime to sit in the sun.

Disagree. Most any school with ANY caché would've brought in more fans than Elon.
11-23-2014 11:22 AM
atljmualum Offline
All American

(11-23-2014 11:22 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(11-23-2014 10:56 AM)JMU1987UVA1998 Wrote:  Give it up. All of you pro-FBS lovers think it would have been packed for a game against a directional MAC team. Hate to say it but it wouldn't be any better attendance-wise.

Disagree. Most any school with ANY caché would've brought in more fans than Elon.

+1

Glad you were able to work on your tan at a FB game, UVA 07-coffee3
11-23-2014 12:44 PM
Advertisement

Dukes94 Offline
All American

disappointing and a sign that our fans base is vastly overrated.

I think you've lost your mind. School was out of session, and it was Elon. It was plenty loud and raucous to start the game, but once it was clear that it was not going to be competitive, the crowd lost interest. There were a few Elon fans there, and honestly, I didn't want to make them feel bad.

I mean, it was 45-7 at halftime. The game was over after the first JMU touchdown about two minutes in.

EDIT: And yes, the Godwin side was nice and warm, like your mom's bed later that night.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2014 01:23 PM by Dukes94.)
11-23-2014 01:22 PM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
(11-23-2014 01:22 PM)Dukes94 Wrote:  

I think you've lost your mind. School was out of session, and it was Elon. It was plenty loud and raucous to start the game, but once it was clear that it was not going to be competitive, the crowd lost interest. There were a few Elon fans there, and honestly, I didn't want to make them feel bad.

I mean, it was 45-7 at halftime. The game was over after the first JMU touchdown about two minutes in.

EDIT: And yes, the Godwin side was nice and warm, like your mom's bed later that night.

Really? Resorting to talking about other's mom?
11-23-2014 02:22 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(11-23-2014 01:22 PM)Dukes94 Wrote:  

You haven't been to a game since 1992 and are going to talk like a douche bag toward me who has been going to games every year since you decided to stop?

Ok. Learned all I need to know about dukes94 today.
11-23-2014 02:26 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

He also hates the band. He just wants some rap music in the PA. Or maybe he only meant that for basketball.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2014 02:27 PM by HyperDuke.)
11-23-2014 02:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.