Bookmark and Share
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
David Bailiff
Great coach. nuff said

Go Owls
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2014 11:29 PM by cb4029.)
11-21-2014 11:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

winston70 Offline
All American

I Root For: La Tech
RE: David Bailiff
Seems to have Rice peaking at the right time and I agree he is a good coach
11-21-2014 11:34 PM
Kingkong13 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cusa
I think Bailiff I'd the best coach in CUSA. The fact that he has won at Rice speaks volumes.
11-21-2014 11:36 PM
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
Hell of a coach, Rice better hang on as long as possible.
11-21-2014 11:47 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
Man, you guys need to spend some time on the Rice board. Over there it seems Bailiff is barely holding on to his job every week.
11-22-2014 12:08 AM
Kingkong13 Offline
2nd String

I'll tell you. I watch a lot of Rice football. Your coach is a helluva coach. They play smart. They may not be dynamic at times but they don't need to be.
11-22-2014 12:20 AM
Advertisement

cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
(11-22-2014 12:08 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  Man, you guys need to spend some time on the Rice board. Over there it seems Bailiff is barely holding on to his job every week.

Damn if I didn't go over there and see your fans pimping Will Muschamp. Hilarious. And I thought you guys were supposed to be smart. 05-stirthepot
11-22-2014 12:40 AM
Pan95 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
(11-22-2014 12:40 AM)cb4029 Wrote:  
(11-22-2014 12:08 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  Man, you guys need to spend some time on the Rice board. Over there it seems Bailiff is barely holding on to his job every week.

Damn if I didn't go over there and see your fans pimping Will Muschamp. Hilarious. And I thought you guys were supposed to be smart. 05-stirthepot

Please please come post on the Rice board...
11-22-2014 01:12 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
It's going to be interesting to see who gets Conference USA Coach Of The Year in Football this season, especially if UAB becomes bowl eligible this season. There are a lot of candidates in the running, Bailiff's one of them.
11-22-2014 01:49 AM
Chef Owl Offline
Stay hungry my friends!

I Root For: The Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
I think a big issue some of us have is that Bailiff seems to treat OOC games as warm up or afterthought games. He seems to lack a killer instinct. While I certainly appreciate the fact that we now have three consecutive winning seasons and three consecutive seasons going bowling, I just want Rice to take the next step. What I mean by that is I want Rice to be able to hang with the big boys. While I certainly don't expect a win every time, I would like it to be in the realm of possibility. It just seems like we are far from reaching that with Coach Bailiff.
11-22-2014 03:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
We could have John Heisman coaching us and we'd still be unsatisfied.

Oh wait, that's already happened....
11-22-2014 07:46 AM
Advertisement

Kingkong13 Offline
2nd String

(11-22-2014 03:09 AM)Chef Owl Wrote:  I think a big issue some of us have is that Bailiff seems to treat OOC games as warm up or afterthought games. He seems to lack a killer instinct. While I certainly appreciate the fact that we now have three consecutive winning seasons and three consecutive seasons going bowling, I just want Rice to take the next step. What I mean by that is I want Rice to be able to hang with the big boys. While I certainly don't expect a win every time, I would like it to be in the realm of possibility. It just seems like we are far from reaching that with Coach Bailiff.

When your OOC schedule looks like it did this year, it is a warm up. Notre Dame and Texas A&M jeesh!!
11-22-2014 09:57 AM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

(11-22-2014 09:57 AM)Kingkong13 Wrote:  
(11-22-2014 03:09 AM)Chef Owl Wrote:  I think a big issue some of us have is that Bailiff seems to treat OOC games as warm up or afterthought games. He seems to lack a killer instinct. While I certainly appreciate the fact that we now have three consecutive winning seasons and three consecutive seasons going bowling, I just want Rice to take the next step. What I mean by that is I want Rice to be able to hang with the big boys. While I certainly don't expect a win every time, I would like it to be in the realm of possibility. It just seems like we are far from reaching that with Coach Bailiff.

When your OOC schedule looks like it did this year, it is a warm up. Notre Dame and Texas A&M jeesh!!

Next year, @Texas and @Baylor.
11-22-2014 10:09 AM
Kingkong13 Offline
2nd String

I just don't know how good either Baylor or Texas will be but man I feel ya. We have Ms. STATE AND Kansas State next season.
11-22-2014 10:51 AM
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
(11-22-2014 01:49 AM)Matrix Wrote:  It's going to be interesting to see who gets Conference USA Coach Of The Year in Football this season, especially if UAB becomes bowl eligible this season. There are a lot of candidates in the running, Bailiff's one of them.

Bailiff won last season and rightfully so, but if Doc goes undefeated, he will win this season. And rightfully so.
11-22-2014 10:56 AM
Kingkong13 Offline
2nd String

Not so fast chief. It's about who has done the best coaching job. Everybody knew Marshall was gonna have a good season. I'd bet Coach Clark of UAB would win it before holiday. In fact I could name 4 coaches ahead of Holliday this year.
11-22-2014 11:08 AM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(11-22-2014 10:56 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  
(11-22-2014 01:49 AM)Matrix Wrote:  It's going to be interesting to see who gets Conference USA Coach Of The Year in Football this season, especially if UAB becomes bowl eligible this season. There are a lot of candidates in the running, Bailiff's one of them.

Bailiff won last season and rightfully so, but if Doc goes undefeated, he will win this season. And rightfully so.

I agree 100%.
11-22-2014 11:58 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Exclamation RE: David Bailiff
(11-22-2014 11:32 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  [quote='goherd24herdfans' pid='11417801' dateline='1416672121']
Wow. Bailiff is a good coach... how spoiled have rice fans become?

Pardon us for wanting to be even better after being essentially irrelevant for most of 40+ years. You wouldn't understand as your school, Marshall, is not seen in the same light by the average football fan. This board, tears ago, used to be more "just happy to be here." Now, we're turning into more of a real college fan board, where we expect the same results, especially in light of our school's competing and succeeding at the highest levels academically. We want success across the board.

The answer to your question would be: not as spoiled as some Marshall fans. (see the whining on the main CUSA board).

We're still waiting for our string of NFL Quarterbacks like Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich, and now perhaps Rakeem Cato (we had Tommy Kramer in the 70's. Our best QB under Bailiff, Chase Clement, was already here, recruited by Ken Hatfield, and helped Todd Graham (now HC at Arizona State after a few other stops 03-wink ) lead Rice to a winning record and it's first bowl game in decades. Graham was an SOB, but he did turn the culture around at Rice and raised expectations in his one year here).

We're still waiting for our undefeated seasons, plural. We're still waiting for our stadium improvements (which the scuttlebutt now says will hopefully be announced in January 2015). We're still waiting for fans to regularly pack Rice Stadium in proportion to how they do at Marshall. We're still waiting for the perception among the average college football fan to change from Rice as a gimme to Rice to be a feared opponent on anyone's schedule.

(11-22-2014 11:02 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  You win cusa for the first time, and now get 7 wins, maybe 8, losing some good talent and you call for bailiffs head?

It's not unreasonable to surmise, in light of each teams' respective play over the last year, that had the 2013 C-USA Championship game been at Marshall instead of at Rice Stadium in Houston, Marshall more likely would have pulled out a win. We caught you with your pants down and on a road trip your team and fans generally felt was unjustified. Very glad we won, but not unaware of the circumstances. Bailiff has admittedly often been charmed in this respect, which is part of the reason he's been here so long. Some of us consider balancing in viewing his luck in stars aligning to get him extensions along with his skills in our assessment of Bailiff more than others.

Almost everyone here agrees that Bailiff is a nice guy personally and a decent ambassador of Rice as a school.

(11-22-2014 11:02 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  No offense, but reality, its a tough sell to get a kid to want to play at Rice, where baseball is the sport, let alone the academic hurdles one must leap, and lack of fan support recruits see in the stadium.

Actually, no offense, but many of us here think Rice's superior academics are an easier sell against all other G5 schools like yours and would give any coach here at Rice a recruiting advantage against G5, not just Bailiff.

(11-22-2014 11:02 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  Florida would have traded you coaches in a snap of a finger if they could. And you would have gotten the short end of the stick. Be careful what you wish for, because you just might never see a coaching staff like this one again.
(11-22-2014 11:02 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  ...With a coach like Bailiff, if you ever pickup top talent at a few positions, he will maximize that talent and you could end up having a very special year.

Many of us feel that when we had that top talent at a few positions (Chase Clement, Jarret Dillard, James Casey) that they won in spite of what Bailiff and his staff told them to do, not because of it. It is rumored that those players often took things into their own hands instead of listening to the coaches all the time. One of the most repeated assessments by one of our most all-around respected posters, Owl69/70, is that Bailiff's main problem is the distinct lack of ability to maximize talent.

I don't believe you are really sincere. Tell you what. Forget Muschamp, forget Florida.

How 'bout we trade Marshall 1 David Bailiff with his contract for 1 Doc Holliday straight up? Now how good a coach do you really think Bailiff is? (note: might want to parse his actual record a bit closer, kind of the way we do endlessly on this board.)

Everything else the exact same, I contend that if Marshall had had David Bailiff this year, they most likely would not be undefeated. If Rice had Doc Holliday this year we would not have lost to Old Dominion, and would have had a better chance against Notre dame and Texas A$M. Bailiff has a history of treating non-conference games with less consequence than in-conference (his exact words being a repeated matter of dispute on these boards.)

But you see, I don't mind that. It's why I like to read, and sometimes comment on this board. Some posters here like him as our coach, some do not. I view the very fact that we have such passionate disagreement about it as a good sign for Rice that at least some of the fandom here is no longer willing to just be happy to be here like the last 40 years.

(11-22-2014 11:02 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  Temper your expectations.

How about you go do that first, Marshall. Again, I refer you to the numerous whining posts from Marshall fans on the main conference board.

Pressure is good. "Pressure is what you perceive."--Jerry Seinfeld. Heck, pressure is one of the reasons you play and/or watch football.

Some of us want to do The Opposite of what Rice has done for 40+ years in football. Worked for George. Many at Rice are finally tired of being George. Would Marshall be satisfied with their next 40+ years being the same as Rice's last 40+?

"If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right." --TV Jerry Seinfeld

11-22-2014 01:08 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(11-22-2014 09:57 AM)Kingkong13 Wrote:  

Tell that to Wayne Graham, our HOF head baseball coach...

(11-22-2014 02:02 AM)Chef Owl Wrote:  Rice is now 7-4, almost assuring us a bowl berth for the third straight year as well as having a 7 win season for the third straight year (first time in school history for both). Just sit back and think about that. Just for a second.

Glad about it. It's not enough.

What is enough? Ask Wayne Graham--or is he too greedy and unreasonable?
[Image: Rice-WGwithRings.jpg]
11-22-2014 01:15 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
(11-22-2014 12:40 AM)cb4029 Wrote:  

Read the thread. It's fan, singular.

ETA: on second thought, don't read the thread.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2014 01:56 PM by Brookes Owl.)
11-22-2014 01:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.