Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
UC's Golic thrilled to be playing, contributing
UC's Golic thrilled to be playing, contributing

Tom Groeschen, tgroeschen@enquirer.com 3:30 p.m. EST November 20, 2014

[Image: 635520825802972702-Golics2.jpg]
Jake Golic and his father Mike watch UC's spring game in April, when Jake was in the process of returning to the Bearcats.(Photo: Enquirer file)

Tight end Jake Golic has yet to catch a pass for the University of Cincinnati football team this season, but Golic could not be more thrilled.

The former Notre Dame player resurrected his career this year, after a stem cell procedure on his ailing back. His mere participation means more to Golic than individual statistics.

"The fact that I'm here playing football and healthy, I'm having fun and contributing, that means more than a single catch could mean to me," Golic said this week.

Golic and the Bearcats (6-3 overall, 4-1 American Athletic Conference) will visit Connecticut (2-7, 1-4) Saturday at 8 p.m., in what will be a triumphant homecoming for Golic.

Golic is the son of Mike Golic, a former Notre Dame and NFL defensive lineman and co-host of the ESPN "Mike and Mike" radio show. Mike Golic moved his family to Connecticut some 15 years ago to be closer to ESPN's Bristol studios, and Jake played football at Northwest Catholic High School (West Hartford).

"It'll be exciting to go home," Jake said. "I've got a lot of friends that will be there, and my folks (Mike and Christine) will be there. It should be a good crowd."

Golic signed with Notre Dame out of high school but battled arm and back injuries, played sparingly and did not have a single pass reception.

Golic transferred to UC in 2013, with plans to play as a fifth-year senior. Instead, chronic back pain forced Golic to withdraw from summer practice.

Yet, Golic still was not ready to quit. His father had undergone stem cell surgery on his knee and back after his NFL injuries, and the family weighed that option for Jake. This past January, spinal stem cell pioneer Dr. Kenneth Pettine performed a procedure on Jake's back and arm in Loveland, Colorado.

In medical terms, the therapies utilize adult mesenchymal, multipotent stem cells, taken from a patient's own bone marrow concentrate, and then injected back into the same patient, directly into the injured, damaged, or painful area. In Jake Golic's case, his back and arm.

Bottom line, it worked. Golic applied for and was granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA, and he rejoined the Bearcats for the 2014 season.

"We've had a few flare-ups with it but nothing nerve-related," Golic said. "It's all muscle-related now. With a little bit of treatment and a little bit of extra work, those pains go away almost immediately."

Golic is listed as the No. 2 tight end for UC, behind sophomore D.J. Dowdy. Dowdy has five pass receptions this year but Golic has not had a pass thrown his way. UC generally plays four wideouts and seldom throws to the tight end.

Golic's number was called on a second-and-goal from the 2-yard line during the season's second game against Miami University, but a UC player was called for a false start. On the next play, quarterback Gunner Kiel threw a 7-yard TD pass to wideout Mekale McKay.

UC coach Tommy Tuberville said that Golic, who also plays on the kickoff return and punt return units, was a key factor when UC beat East Carolina 54-46 in the Bearcats' last game Nov. 13.

"He played, I think, his biggest and best game last week against East Carolina," Tuberville said. "He's been more of a blocker for us. He's helped us on our running game. He's helped these two new running backs (Rod Moore, Mike Boone) to be able to get the yards they've gotten."

Good-natured parent Mike Golic said the family keeps rooting for Jake to get that first catch, while realizing that the whole season has been a happy bonus.

"Jake is more than happy," Mike Golic said in a telephone interview. "It's the way I was raised and the way our kids were raised. You're a team player. If he's asked to block, he's going to block to the best of his ability. If his number should get called to catch a pass, I know in our area of the stands there will be a little celebration."

-

Quote:UC at Connecticut

Saturday, 8 p.m. at Connecticut (Rentschler Field, East Hartford)

TV: CBS Sports Network

Radio: WLW-AM (700)

Records: UC 6-3 (4-1 AAC), Connecticut 2-7 (1-4 AAC)
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/ucathlet.../19327015/

11-21-2014 06:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dannyboy Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
RE: UC's Golic thrilled to be playing, contributing
He really is a solid blocker and has been getting out there more and more. Good for him. That huge will to succeed that he has will serve him well.

11-21-2014 08:11 AM
indycat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Bet they dig deeper into the playbook to find a pass for him tomorrow night in front of friends and family. Anyone who has dealt with back problems knows that just being on the field for this young man is a major victory.

It's also been a feel good story for UC this season with Mike Golic present at the games and giving the Bearcats some added exposure on his national broadcasts.

11-21-2014 09:09 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I love our passing game, but I do wish we found a way to feed it to our TE a little more. Dowdy is an excellent athlete and Golic is capable as well. I am pretty sure we will see at least one ball thrown to Jake Golic this wekeend.

P.S. Jake's resemblance to the late Lyle Alzado is uncanny.

11-21-2014 09:40 AM
eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(11-21-2014 09:40 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I love our passing game, but I do wish we found a way to feed it to our TE a little more. Dowdy is an excellent athlete and Golic is capable as well. I am pretty sure we will see at least one ball thrown to Jake Golic this wekeend.

You know a good time to throw to our TEs? On play action, when we're trying to protect a lead and our OC is trying to kill off a game by running the ball three downs a series. #stillbitter

11-21-2014 09:54 AM
Advertisement

HoopsJunky Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Donators
If the Cats get up big it would be nice to see Golic get a catch or a TD

11-21-2014 10:44 AM
scvanguard1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincy, Oklahoma
(11-21-2014 09:09 AM)indycat Wrote:  Bet they dig deeper into the playbook to find a pass for him tomorrow night in front of friends and family. Anyone who has dealt with back problems knows that just being on the field for this young man is a major victory.

It's also been a feel good story for UC this season with Mike Golic present at the games and giving the Bearcats some added exposure on his national broadcasts.

Would love for it to be a first down so he can jump up and signal first down.... Would that be flagged for "Taunting" now a days?

11-21-2014 11:55 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(11-21-2014 11:55 AM)scvanguard1 Wrote:  
(11-21-2014 09:09 AM)indycat Wrote:  Bet they dig deeper into the playbook to find a pass for him tomorrow night in front of friends and family. Anyone who has dealt with back problems knows that just being on the field for this young man is a major victory.

Would love for it to be a first down so he can jump up and signal first down.... Would that be flagged for "Taunting" now a days?

Please, no. I hate it when guys do that.

11-21-2014 02:31 PM
Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(11-21-2014 09:40 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I love our passing game, but I do wish we found a way to feed it to our TE a little more. Dowdy is an excellent athlete and Golic is capable as well. I am pretty sure we will see at least one ball thrown to Jake Golic this wekeend.

Not a bad way to have your first catch

11-23-2014 08:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.