Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Optimistic About Future AAC Football
TigerJJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Tiger Victories
Optimistic About Future AAC Football
It seems when I watch AAC football games on tv, the announcers just about always talk about how young the teams are that are playing at that time. It's already tough enough now when you can't just show up go through the motions and expect to win. With more experience in the next few years this conference is just going to get better and better. There are a number of really talented quarterbacks who are also going to improve and make their team good. I expect this to be a really balanced league in the future where anybody can beat anybody on a given day. It's going to be fun, especially when we start beating more P5 teams!
11-21-2014 02:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
RE: Optimistic About Future AAC Football
As for Houston, I'm very pleased with the ESPN exposure... The exposure is going to help Houston attract the recruits it couldn't get yesteryear.
11-22-2014 12:03 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
O'Leary always talks (jokingly but a hint of truth) about increased TV exposure:

"You either get (good) exposure or you get exposed."
11-22-2014 05:09 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(11-22-2014 12:03 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  As for Houston, I'm very pleased with the ESPN exposure... The exposure is going to help Houston attract the recruits it couldn't get yesteryear.

Me too. Some people forget that some of our teams aren't even a year removed from recruiting to their former conference... let alone have a full four recruiting classes in the AAC (and playing on ESPN)
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2014 06:49 AM by BigEastHomer.)
11-22-2014 06:49 AM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
I've said it before, but the biggest thing that's hurting the American IMO is simply not having the "Brand names" that people know. Otherwise, I think the top half of the conference can compete with plenty of P5 programs throughout various conferences. It's going to take winning your bowl and OOC matchups against said schools regularly to gain the attention that I feel the American deserves, though.

I've been impressed with how much progress Memphis has made. Cincinnati's should be able to maintain their position near the top of the league, UCF's coming on strong, and ECU just needs to find that extra little bit to get over the hump and find their consistency. Then you've got Houston who's young this year if I'm not mistaken, but they're investing heavily into their programs and can show up to compete. Navy's coming in and can be strong. Overall, I genuinely find the American to be an entertaining conference to watch.
11-22-2014 07:57 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
(11-22-2014 05:09 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  O'Leary always talks (jokingly but a hint of truth) about increased TV exposure:

[Image: Nut-huggers.jpg]
11-22-2014 08:17 AM
Advertisement

Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
(11-22-2014 08:17 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  
(11-22-2014 05:09 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  O'Leary always talks (jokingly but a hint of truth) about increased TV exposure:

Given what OLeary has done for UCF you guys better be nutt hugging.
11-22-2014 09:24 AM
NestaKnight1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(11-22-2014 09:24 AM)Ramen_Tiger Wrote:  
(11-22-2014 08:17 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  

Given what OLeary has done for UCF you guys better be nutt hugging.

True! Every fanbase however, is going to have its share of outliers. Meet one of ours.
11-22-2014 10:55 AM
Solidkjames Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ECU
Aresco has said all the teams are committed to playing P5 OOC games. We will have one of the toughest non conf schedule year in and year out, win a few of those games and the legitimacy to the league will show. Out of conference success is going to be imperative to this league gaining credibility we need more P5 wins because I can't ever remember seeing 9 ECU games on ESPN in a season. We have ESPN 3 today which is unfortunate with Hardy on the cusp of a NCAA record but next week ESPN U and then prime time Thursday against UCF on ESPN. If Aresco can sweeten the TV deal a bit this league can really make waves in the next 10 years. Until the Big 12 adds teams for a title game which I feel will lead to the next round of poaching.
11-22-2014 12:55 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
I've said it once and i've said it before, playing the best may not pay off now, but the increased competition week in, week out will elevate the conference to new heights. As soon as 5 years as a conference together, if we're lucky, no one will question the superiority of this conference compared to the other non-Autonomous 5. If we're REALLY lucky, we may not get the money of the lower-tier P5, but we can surpass them in performance. The low hanging fruit is the B1G and the ACC of course.
11-22-2014 01:00 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
(11-22-2014 12:55 PM)Solidkjames Wrote:  Aresco has said all the teams are committed to playing P5 OOC games. We will have one of the toughest non conf schedule year in and year out, win a few of those games and the legitimacy to the league will show. Out of conference success is going to be imperative to this league gaining credibility we need more P5 wins because I can't ever remember seeing 9 ECU games on ESPN in a season. We have ESPN 3 today which is unfortunate with Hardy on the cusp of a NCAA record but next week ESPN U and then prime time Thursday against UCF on ESPN. If Aresco can sweeten the TV deal a bit this league can really make waves in the next 10 years. Until the Big 12 adds teams for a title game which I feel will lead to the next round of poaching.

Aresco was supposed to "sweeten the TV deal" on THIS contract! It was the sole reason he was hired. He (allegedly) has/had contacts in all the networks and the best he could do was an incredibly insulting offer from NBC/Comcast for 2m per and all the "exposure" you could shake a stick at!!! Also, don't even pretend to think that ESPiN will talk this league up if we (AAC) win a "few OOC games". Spoiler Alert: They won't, and IMO, never will.
11-22-2014 01:07 PM
Advertisement

Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(11-22-2014 01:07 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  
(11-22-2014 12:55 PM)Solidkjames Wrote:  Aresco has said all the teams are committed to playing P5 OOC games. We will have one of the toughest non conf schedule year in and year out, win a few of those games and the legitimacy to the league will show. Out of conference success is going to be imperative to this league gaining credibility we need more P5 wins because I can't ever remember seeing 9 ECU games on ESPN in a season. We have ESPN 3 today which is unfortunate with Hardy on the cusp of a NCAA record but next week ESPN U and then prime time Thursday against UCF on ESPN. If Aresco can sweeten the TV deal a bit this league can really make waves in the next 10 years. Until the Big 12 adds teams for a title game which I feel will lead to the next round of poaching.

Aresco was supposed to "sweeten the TV deal" on THIS contract! It was the sole reason he was hired. He (allegedly) has/had contacts in all the networks and the best he could do was an incredibly insulting offer from NBC/Comcast for 2m per and all the "exposure" you could shake a stick at!!! Also, don't even pretend to think that ESPiN will talk this league up if we (AAC) win a "few OOC games". Spoiler Alert: They won't, and IMO, never will.

Depends on what you want, money or exposure.

This is a pretty sweet TV deal, in terms of exposure, but it's for pennies.

However, we STILL make more money than every other G5 conference, AND we get more tv time than all of them combined.

Exposure is a recruiting tool, we're going to get better players because of it. We'll play better, playing better competition. The money will come.
11-22-2014 01:16 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(11-22-2014 12:03 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  As for Houston, I'm very pleased with the ESPN exposure... The exposure is going to help Houston attract the recruits it couldn't get yesteryear.

Not if they repeatedly lose to UTSA and Tulane for all the world to see.
11-22-2014 01:38 PM
mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
Aresco was hired by the Big East and it was a WAY different conference then. He got us what he could. Simple fact is ESPN, Comcast/NBC, Fox and all looked at us and simply didnt want us. Not knowing if Uconn, Cinci or anybody else was defintely staying hurt us. Aresco cant be blamed. The guy was handed the biggest screw job on earth and the simple fact that he didnt say **** this and walk out is amazing.

What he needs is ammo. UCF gave him some last year and Uconn definitely showed were relevant in Bball. I am really hoping they or another AAC team can win the Tourney again. A few years of success and he will have a leg to stand on. Right now the networks simply look at us as the MWC on the eastern side of the country.
11-22-2014 02:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

anyone who dislikes this tv deal need only try and find the 10-0 Marshall game. Hint: it's not televised.
11-22-2014 02:26 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(11-22-2014 01:16 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  

However, we STILL make more money than every other G5 conference, AND we get more tv time than all of them combined.

Exposure is a recruiting tool, we're going to get better players because of it. We'll play better, playing better competition. The money will come.

Exactly, many may not comprehend the importance of exposure, but exposure made some of the so called p5 SMALL TOWN programs what they are TODAY.

With the huge markets the AAC has, exposure will only brighten this programs tremendously and this league immediately.
11-22-2014 02:56 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army

I couldn't agree with ^ more.
11-22-2014 03:30 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(11-22-2014 02:56 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  

Exactly, many may not comprehend the importance of exposure, but exposure made some of the so called p5 SMALL TOWN programs what they are TODAY.

With the huge markets the AAC has, exposure will only brighten this programs tremendously and this league immediately.

Biggie, I like you but let's be honest about big markets and college football. Bad, bad and bad. Would you rather be the schools in Lincoln, south bend, Iowa city, Ann Arbor, Starkville, auburn or Eugene or the college teams in Houston (texans) Cincinnati (bengals) Tampa (buccaneers) Philadelphia (eagles). Do you remember watching the coogs play in front of less than 3,000 fans vs Louisville about 10, 15 years ago? Unfortunately, I do.
11-22-2014 03:40 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(11-22-2014 03:40 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Biggie, I like you but let's be honest about big markets and college football. Bad, bad and bad. Would you rather be the schools in Lincoln, south bend, Iowa city, Ann Arbor, Starkville, auburn or Eugene or the college teams in Houston (texans) Cincinnati (bengals) Tampa (buccaneers) Philadelphia (eagles). Do you remember watching the coogs play in front of less than 3,000 fans vs Louisville about 10, 15 years ago? Unfortunately, I do.

Selective Bias.

Would you rather be the schools in Los Angeles, Austin, Chicago, Seattle, Atlanta... (and so on) or would you rather be the schools in Lafayette, Louisiana, Moscow Idaho, Alberquerque New Mexico, Denton Texas, or Amherst Massachusetts?
11-22-2014 03:45 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(11-22-2014 03:45 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  
(11-22-2014 03:40 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(11-22-2014 01:07 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  Aresco was supposed to "sweeten the TV deal" on THIS contract! It was the sole reason he was hired. He (allegedly) has/had contacts in all the networks and the best he could do was an incredibly insulting offer from NBC/Comcast for 2m per and all the "exposure" you could shake a stick at!!! Also, don't even pretend to think that ESPiN will talk this league up if we (AAC) win a "few OOC games". Spoiler Alert: They won't, and IMO, never will.

Selective Bias.

Would you rather be the schools in Los Angeles, Austin, Chicago, Seattle, Atlanta... (and so on) or would you rather be the schools in Lafayette, Louisiana, Moscow Idaho, Alberquerque New Mexico, Denton Texas, or Amherst Massachusetts?

^ This.
11-22-2014 03:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.