Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Little guys at it again
Bookmark and Share
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Little guys at it again
Tex Southern (SWAC) tied with Tennessee at the half. You figure UT will blow it open later, but that has to be thrilling for those kids from the lowest-ranked conference even to be tied at half.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2014 08:08 PM by MICHAELSPAPPY.)
11-20-2014 08:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

RE: Little guys at it again
And then there is Grambling, from the same conference, trailing Purdue 46-17 in the second half.
11-20-2014 08:15 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
And some want us to hire an AD from that conference. If that's the best we can do, we need to let the air out of the basketballs, and nail the doors shut on the Jack.
11-20-2014 08:19 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Everyone has to start somewhere. Some of the guys there may be pretty good. I don't keep up with the career paths of ADs.
11-20-2014 08:24 PM
LR Alum Offline
1st String

I Root For: UALR
Little guys at it again
I think the guy from the swac has a good résumé and accomplishments. I think people should be judged on their merits/accomplishments not where they work.
11-20-2014 08:37 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-20-2014 08:37 PM)LR Alum Wrote:  I think the guy from the swac has a good résumé and accomplishments. I think people should be judged on their merits/accomplishments not where they work.

Not saying he doesn't have a good resume, but I still say if the best candidate we can attract is one from the lowest conference in the country, it doesn't say much about us, or the reputation of the program here. This guy may be hell on wheels, but look at the track record of SWAC schools, and how many stay in trouble with the NCAA.
11-20-2014 08:46 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-20-2014 08:37 PM)LR Alum Wrote:  I think the guy from the swac has a good résumé and accomplishments. I think people should be judged on their merits/accomplishments not where they work.

Based on what I read and saw (on the clip you posted), I think we would be extremely lucky to get him. I don't care about someone's skin color, but maybe he would help get the black community involved in our program, something that has not been done in the 32+ years I've lived in Little Rock.
11-20-2014 09:11 PM
LR Alum Offline
1st String

Little guys at it again
I guess I can relate to his career trajectory. I have made some career moves where I went to offices that were a mess to help clean them up. Sometimes you make moves that you know if you do well you will be better prepared for bigger jobs. I not saying he should get the job. i'm just saying he seems like a good candidate. Hopefully the committee will pick the best person that can help improve he department. swac schools do have issues but the guy came in to clean up southern and get their financial footing back on course. In 2 years it has been reported he is doing that. He started at northwestern state and became an associate ad there. Became he ad for centenary and now southern. To me it looks like he is just making moves to get to bigger things. That's the type of people i like. I'm sure he applied for this job for the next move in his career and see it as a stepping stone to the next level.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2014 09:23 PM by LR Alum.)
11-20-2014 09:22 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-20-2014 09:11 PM)mjs Wrote:  

Based on what I read and saw (on the clip you posted), I think we would be extremely lucky to get him. I don't care about someone's skin color, but maybe he would help get the black community involved in our program, something that has not been done in the 32+ years I've lived in Little Rock.

Now, that is hard to explain. A sport where probably ninety per cent of our players are black, and I wonder what percentage of our season ticket holders are black? Maybe Alum can shed some light on this.
11-20-2014 09:28 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I know nothing about any of the candidates, but if we are wanting to find a real unheralded diamond in the rough, the SWAC would be a good place to look. It is not what he accomplishes in absolute terms that counts, but what he accomplishes with what he has to work with.
11-20-2014 09:35 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-20-2014 09:35 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  

I know nothing about any of the candidates, but if we are wanting to find a real unheralded diamond in the rough, the SWAC would be a good place to look. It is not what he accomplishes in absolute terms that counts, but what he accomplishes with what he has to work with.

I'm saying the SWAC certainly doesn't have a good reputation. I stand by my statement saying that if the best we can get comes from the SWAC, it says volumes about our program. I have no problem if they hire a black AD, but make it one from an established successful program. It makes sense that we need a young black coach that can recruit and have a rapport with the players, of whom a large majority are black. Call it what you want, but I don't want an AD from a SWAC school.
11-20-2014 10:37 PM
Advertisement

PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(11-20-2014 08:19 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  And some want us to hire an AD from that conference. If that's the best we can do, we need to let the air out of the basketballs, and nail the doors shut on the Jack.

Never mind.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2014 12:09 AM by PTJR.)
11-21-2014 12:07 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Like most of us, I have absolutely no clue who our next AD will be. But if they are doing a great job where they are, then I don't care where it is or what conference it is. Since it has been pointed out to me that fund raising is really the top priority of any AD, which I never really knew, then it opens the door to a lot of possibilities. Even if the person hasn't been an AD or assistant AD. A smart person will have people below him to help with the day to day operations, and can learn what he needs to know about hiring and firing coaches.

I recall hearing a story about when stockholders tried to remove Henry Ford as head of Ford Motor Company because he wasn't educated enough to run the company that he had built from scratch. At the hearing, they asked him some stupid question about a historical event, and he told them that he didn't know the answer , but if he needed to know, all he would have to do was push a button on his phone, and one of his assistants would have the answer for him in about two minutes. That's how I feel about an AD. If he's smart, he'll have people around him who can give him the answer to anything he needs immediately.
11-21-2014 10:40 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

LSU goes down to Old Dominion.
11-21-2014 08:52 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Charlotte beats South Carolina.
11-21-2014 09:20 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

And, as someone has already mentioned, Gardner Webb over Clemson. Big night for the little guys!
11-21-2014 10:17 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-21-2014 10:17 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  And, as someone has already mentioned, Gardner Webb over Clemson. Big night for the little guys!

ULM almost gets it done at Florida. Just saw the end of the overtime- not sure how it got to that point.
11-21-2014 10:35 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-21-2014 10:17 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  And, as someone has already mentioned, Gardner Webb over Clemson. Big night for the little guys!

And we go down against BYU. I guess we're not one of the little guys.
We must be one of the "Wee People".04-cheers
11-22-2014 09:28 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Rhode Island takes down Nebraska.
11-22-2014 10:57 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

UMass over Fla St
11-23-2014 06:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.